Local
Radar
Snow?
shuggee

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

18 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Don't worry Catch, we'll probly be up to oor oxters in snaw by mid-April 😎

Where we going? 

A lovely bright morning with temp at 5C when I left the house, but sitting at around 8/9C in Keith as I passed through.

I've pretty much chucked in the towel on winter now. Not ruling out a return completely, but I just can't see where it's going to come from. Very disappointing, from a winter that had lots of 'promise' but very little 'delivery'. 

Frosty here until around 9AM but now feeling very mild in the sun.

12.5C at 6PM yesterday at Cairngorm summit. High of 14.5C. Snow must be disappearing fast.

1 hour ago, Ravelin said:

A lovely bright morning with temp at 5C when I left the house, but sitting at around 8/9C in Keith as I passed through.

I've pretty much chucked in the towel on winter now. Not ruling out a return completely, but I just can't see where it's going to come from. Very disappointing, from a winter that had lots of 'promise' but very little 'delivery'. 

As one of the lead straw clutchers I could point out that the main March 2013 cold spell was in the last ten days of the month...however we seem to be needing a miracle at this point.

Very windy again with bright sunshine  RH of 25% and currently 14c feels really unseasonal. Fields getting dusty on the surface.Grass starting to green up.

• Sad 1

A really poor day to be outside on Skye with any exposure to the south - too windy to do anything useful. So I'm back at the house typing this instead. Tomorrow looks like a compromise crapness with some rain and slightly less wind, f f s. I'll be glad to be home but that's not yet.

15C in Edinburgh now, really warm. Quite windy, but it's a very mild wind. Warm sunshine too. 

Feels like a good day in April or even may, let alone February! 

• Like 2

Lovely spring like lunchtime in Peebles. Sun splitting the sky. Is it April already?

• Thanks 1

Yes it's really mild outside, its actually feels really warm. I hope this is sign of a nice warm and muggy summer this year with plenty of storms. 

I have just finished spraying the patio and driveway to get rid of the horrible green mould, i don't usually get this done until April when it gets warmer.

• Like 2

We've jumped straight to a warm spell say towards middle or end of April really is a hazy super warm afternoon not bad considering we had a frost last night 

5 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Your assessment summed it up. Last winter even into April was a miracle this winter been a bit of a disaster but luck of the draw

According to the car it was 15C in Fochabers at 1:30pm. Welcome to summer. 

• Like 2

@ciel - not spring on Skye either - lashing down, blowing a gale and 9C. Pfft. I hate southerlies in winter.

You couldn't make this up. Thick near horizontal drizzle this morning. Back to bed? But where's Florence? She had more sense than to go to Skye!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

You couldn't make this up. Thick near horizontal drizzle this morning. Back to bed? But where's Florence? She had more sense than to go to Skye!

I'm cursing our cloudy, slightly dampish, fairly calm day but you'd love the weather I've got right now.

We've booked up for a week in May at Inveruglas on Loch Lomond. 11 weeks and 6 days to go, not that we're counting 😂😂

1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

And back to pish.

You jinxed yourself there HC.

11c here with mainly blue skies, just a bit of high cloud. Not much of a breeze either do feels pleasant in the sun.

Our bees are taking advantage of the warmer weather this week too, they were out flying when I checked on Wed and are out again today. After being cooped up for weeks in a wooden box (a bit like @Hairy Celtby the sounds of it) they'll be enjoying getting out again (assuming bees have such a concept).

Off in a bit to check a house where the owner has noticed bees going in and out of the wall/roof. We'll see if we can identify them, and if we can do anything about them for her. The likely answer to the latter is no. If they are honey bees and the've been in there all winter they are probably quite cosy and settled so trying to entice them out into a hive (even with free food laid on) is unlikely to be successful. If they are mason bees or something they are pretty much harmless and will die in a few weeks anyway. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

You jinxed yourself there HC.

Actually not bad now, but (he adds hastily) I'm sure it won't last!

• Like 2

12.3 C sun trying to break through the clouds, lowest it got overnight was 9.2 C 

still hoping that the high can shift west at least into the Atlantic and give us a shot at getting something colder > anim_pjl8.thumb.gif.32bbedab6e530c76c638e9b51eab43c6.gif anim_hpl8.thumb.gif.d1d8650d42a7a468bce4304d68dfa639.gif  gensnh-14-1-384.thumb.png.f1eba3ae73229ad9dbb0fbe97236ac29.png  

would be ideal if the high could get into scandi but still think this is a low chance ATM gensnh-11-1-384.thumb.png.881712ee7e9fe39c041b0f468c7d8bee.png gensnh-15-1-384.thumb.png.897f3d3fe00c4f0efd878d16cea591ad.png 

• Like 3

What a turnround wintering sheep now grazing spring grass. Cattle inside going from once a day bedding to every second day as air is so dry the folds are drying up.Cows had a bite of spring grass yesterday as they cleaned up the edges of the neep field,daffodils up 3 inches in the last few days.Maybe we will have some straw and hay left over this winter.

Really feels like mid April the inner pessimist in me screams DROUGHT if this keeps up but the optomist says we"ll get two weeks of snowfall in April like 1968 to keep the drought at bay. Really feel for the ski resorts. Currently 12c  and overcast.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 6