shuggee

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

3 hours ago, Norrance said:

Yes, parts of Eastern Scotland had their driest ever January (Edinburgh for example) and from Angus down to Berwickshire there have been very few months in the last twelve that even reached average rainfall levels. Not much sign of significant rain in the foreseeable either for these areas. I suspect that Aberdeenshire round to the Moray Firth has been pretty dry also. Not sure if there are any huge concerns for the farmers yet though?

Here the wind is still howling, its currently 11c and the RH is down tonight  to  21% The ground surface is drying up very rapidly even after the last few weeks of rain/snow.   A   newly ploughed   next  to us of red clay is coming up crumbly with no sign of smeared wet furrows. A very unusual event for mid February so at least locally the ground is looking very dry just below the surface. If and its  not a big if then the dust storms will occur again in March/April in newly sown fields on the sandy areas next to the sea on the south side of the Moray Firth.

3 hours ago, Norrance said:

Yes, parts of Eastern Scotland had their driest ever January (Edinburgh for example) and from Angus down to Berwickshire there have been very few months in the last twelve that even reached average rainfall levels. Not much sign of significant rain in the foreseeable either for these areas. I suspect that Aberdeenshire round to the Moray Firth has been pretty dry also. Not sure if there are any huge concerns for the farmers yet though?

I'm quite surprised by that, we had a couple of snowfalls and also a period of very heavy rain during the cold spell. 

Definitely less rain than average here (probably about 20mm), but I'm pretty sure there must've been some January at some point with constant HP blocking and no rainfall in Edinburgh. Could be wrong though.

So far February seems pretty average rainfall wise, we've had some light showers over the past few days and there will probably be some periods of rain during next week. Storm Erik brought persistent heavy rainfall to the city too

9 minutes ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

I'm quite surprised by that, we had a couple of snowfalls and also a period of very heavy rain during the cold spell. 

Definitely less rain than average here (probably about 20mm), but I'm pretty sure there must've been some January at some point with constant HP blocking and no rainfall in Edinburgh. Could be wrong though.

So far February seems pretty average rainfall wise, we've had some light showers over the past few days and there will probably be some periods of rain during next week. Storm Erik brought persistent heavy rainfall to the city too

Hi, It was actually quoted by a Met office spokesman on the news re Edinburgh and other Eastern areas with records at Gogarbank and the Botanic Gardens back iirc to 1915.

Other areas including Dundee,parts of Fife and Angus had the second driest January since records began.

For info Gogarbank’s total for January was 10.2mms

Going by the forecast and models tonight, it is starting to look as though this winter is petering out from a cauld and snaw pov. Hope this is wrong, but if it's going to go this way, would rather it just did so properly and got onto the warmer days asap, rather than this endless snoozefest. Dull, mild, keech. 

Wind picked up out of nowhere last night and I thought today was looking blowy but its a lovely still morning at 6C.   So far. If this keeps up then I'll get more gardening done now than I will in Spring. Nothing grows here until into April and if I get the tidying and weeding done it looks beautifully tidy. And completely empty 😊

Nothing on the horizon regarding cold it would seem, they even got the mild forecast wrong saying it would be dry all week (Sunday forecast) its rained nearly every day. 

I'am thinking someone at the Met Office did a runner with the money for the Cray CX40 supercomputer and installed one of these instead to run the models..!!!

Spectrum.jpg

Edited by Klippie

10 hours ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

The SEPA record for Torduff which is my closest station out this end of town was 9.8mm for January. 

Minging on Skye today. Variable but generally low cloud and persistent rain or drizzle. Not so much wind though but it is foul. 

Gloomy today in Pitlochry but couldn't care less 🙂

20190214_123415.thumb.jpg.876ebdfe00ae661c477ce59b3425a12b.jpg20190214_123428.thumb.jpg.798683102c9f26e0cf55cf2198e7b790.jpg

😮 :shok: 

9.2 C after a high of 11.7 C and hazy sunshine.

tried to get some pics of the sunset just now

IMG_0480.thumb.JPG.3d2ac1d5561cb97cdc40f78d71159ee0.JPGIMG_0481.thumb.JPG.108007d2abfe8132d08771d95d8c274e.JPGIMG_0482.thumb.JPG.6834f60b528347e754d62af14acdddbb.JPGIMG_0483.thumb.JPG.f1359f7414a02dae5dcc1f596bc22ce4.JPG

Edited by Kirkcaldy Weather
adding sunset pics

8 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Minging on Skye today. Variable but generally low cloud and persistent rain or drizzle. Not so much wind though but it is foul. 

This is normal HC, yes, it is truly keech! More of this tomorrow. Nae wonder I take a drink! No sign of anything remotely interesting in the coming weeks either, so we'll need to put up wi' this mince for a while. Pass the whisky please. :drunk:

10 minutes ago, mistyqueen said:

This is normal HC, yes, it is truly keech! More of this tomorrow. Nae wonder I take a drink! No sign of anything remotely interesting in the coming weeks either, so we'll need to put up wi' this mince for a while. Pass the whisky please. :drunk:

I commented on the weather to a couple of folk in Portree this morning and they both said 'this is Skye!'

What's your tipple then, I'll bring you a bottle over (Co-op 'irristisistibile single malt is good value.) Except I have no idea which wing to start asking for 'Misty Queen' on!

Whats going on with winter?

Days of overcast conditions with the temperature permanently stuck at 9c

Cairngorm summit  a tropical 12.5c

It had perked up a little by the time we got to Aberfeldy. Defo going to look into moving at some point in the next couple of years, where we live is boring af compared to other parts of Scotland.

20190214_152540.thumb.jpg.6699a7dcb101c3a2ed07056bebef75dd.jpg20190214_154119.thumb.jpg.a7f6216ce6c1209ab06edf95497b5643.jpg

3 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It had perked up a little by the time we got to Aberfeldy. Defo going to look into moving at some point in the next couple of years, where we live is boring af compared to other parts of Scotland.

20190214_152540.thumb.jpg.6699a7dcb101c3a2ed07056bebef75dd.jpg20190214_154119.thumb.jpg.a7f6216ce6c1209ab06edf95497b5643.jpg

Could you have a word with Ms HC then please? She seems fixed on staying in the snowless strip here, it's driving me nuts!

I've always wanted to live on Shetland, all my life. Never got there yet though..

8 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Could you have a word with Ms HC then please? She seems fixed on staying in the snowless strip here, it's driving me nuts!

We'll pop up and have a word at some point 😉

Mrs C is completely converted, she has said she likes a few places like Callander and Pitlochry and would live most places in between the two. There's got to be somewhere snowy in there surely? "Just" need to get jobs and a house move sorted now, how hard can it be? Might take a while but it'll be worth it.

19 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Mrs C is completely converted, she has said she likes a few places like Callander and Pitlochry and would live most places in between the two. There's got to be somewhere snowy in there surely? "Just" need to get jobs and a house move sorted now, how hard can it be? Might take a while but it'll be worth it.

It's mostly altitude and keeping away from that big blue hot water bottle that surrounds us. And a bit to do with aspect.  Also there seem to be some places where the topography favours snow, but I've never figured that out.  Altitude is the key - I grew up in Kendal, and it was so obvious there: wherever you were, you could see the snow line, a horizontal line on both sides of the valley. Good for me that we lived towards the upper parts on east-facing slopes... Icy puddles, snowmen and sledging on the golf course all winter... well occasionally anyway!

50 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

My home area Catch. I can give advice on local snow variations around Highland Perthshire (on commission) if you get the go ahead.😀 

I have been working away at the wife to get back up there (or Speyside) for some time now that the kids have grown up but so far without any luck😧

Edited by Norrance

Dry, clear and frosty. Temp is 0c. Easily the dominant weather in the mornings this 'winter'! I guess the alternative poor winter could have seen relentless gales and lashing rain. I'll take the 'winter' we've had in a heartbeat over that 😀

55 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Dry, clear and frosty. Temp is 0c. Easily the dominant weather in the mornings this 'winter'! I guess the alternative poor winter could have seen relentless gales and lashing rain. I'll take the 'winter' we've had in a heartbeat over that 😀

I agree, that's quite a temperature inversion we've had overnight. Uppers are around +8 this morning for Edinburgh and outside it is 0C.

The horrible weather is very likely to return next week, it's a bad outlook for Scotland. The high pressure just isn't convincing enough and I think the Atlantic will attempt to flatten it, resulting in very wet and strong south-southwesterly currents for Scotland.

GFS P still going for a drier outlook, ecmwf too (with some rain only on Wednesday)

I just used the words "real taste of spring" in my forecast on my FB weather page for today...I don't know if I should laugh or cry. 

Don't worry Catch, we'll probly be up to oor oxters in snaw by mid-April 😎

20 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I just used the words "real taste of spring" in my forecast on my FB weather page for today...I don't know if I should laugh or cry. 

Ban hammer? Where's a moderator when you need one 😂🤣