Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
shuggee

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

3C and piddling down. What tiny scraps of snow that had survived till this evening are now gone. Miserable bloody weather.

More beer, matron.  No, HC, go to bed, you have to be clever tomorrow.

Yay. A shiny new page.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Heavy rain with 0c

Yuk!

We're at a sub-tropical 6C at 7am and not a cloud in sight. I may have to use the word "Spring" later 🤔😂

• Like 3

Well that thaw yesterday  didn"t last long we have three inches of very heavy wet snow this morning and its still falling heavily All the power and phone lines will be vulnerable today.

Currently -2c

• Like 3

A balmy 7c here in EH14. Patchy cloud, bit gloomy so far. Temp should drop a wee bit once the cloud disappears to about 5c. Not overly mild, not cold either but should be a decent dry day 😀

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Grey damp blustery and 5C here.

• Like 1

Wee puppy's face dropped this morning when I took her out and the snow was mostly gone.

Hopefully get some more soon.

• Like 3

Leuchars (Fife ) recorded it’s driest January in 97 years. Met Office Jan stats

Lowest max -5.1C Balmoral (Aberdeenshire) 31st

Lowest min -14.3C Braemar (Aberdeenshire) 31st  (lower on Friday 1st)

Highest daily rainfall 73.2mm Achnagart (Ross & Cromarty)  12th

• Like 8

Morning all.

4.4c here with a brisk W wind.   Dry.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

• Like 4

Max 1cm of very wet snow on driveway this morning but thaw under way with rain falling as we cleared it. Driving up over the hill tbough there was a few cm of heavy wet snow on the road. 

Between Huntly and Fochabers its been heavy snow and roads are a mess. Currently stuck in stationary traffic on A96 just south of Fochabers. Late for work for first time this winter. Schools around Huntly, Keith and down Speyside closed. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 5

@Northernlights - just steady rain here earlier, now just grey and everything's very wet. I heard roads are bad round Beauly way, which has no altitude.

5 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

@Northernlights - just steady rain here earlier, now just grey and everything's very wet. I heard roads are bad round Beauly way, which has no altitude.

The only positive from todays conditions is that soil moisture reserves will be getting topped up..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jo Farrow said:

Leuchars (Fife ) recorded it’s driest January in 97 years. Met Office Jan stats

Lowest max -5.1C Balmoral (Aberdeenshire) 31st

Lowest min -14.3C Braemar (Aberdeenshire) 31st  (lower on Friday 1st)

Highest daily rainfall 73.2mm Achnagart (Ross & Cromarty)  12th

That last stat is amazing. You'd have to go back cumulatively to mid-November to get 73.2mm of rain for my location, almost three months ago. It goes to show what variety we have for a geographically small country.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

Few pictures from this morning, about 16cms fell pretty widely over just a few hours, say from southern speyside up to the Inverness area and east in to moray. Probably approaching a foot at the house

Aye, caused a few problems on the A96 this morning, with it taking me nearly 2hrs to get into work (late for the first time this winter). Heavy snow was falling pretty much from Huntly through to Fochabers, especially around Keith, with temps hovering a degree either side of freezing. Traffic eventually ground to a halt just outside Fochabers, on the hill down to the roundabout if coming from Keith, and was stationary for around 30mins. Schools around Speyside, Keith and Huntly all closed, which means that the wife has a day off but I don't. Ironic since she's in Keith and I'd to get through Keith to get to Fochabers. Not that I'm bitter, honest. :whistling:

Looking outside now, well it's blue skies and broken cloud. Lying snow visibly melting here at least.

• Like 6

Sums it up 😢

IMG_20190204_084115-1044x1856.thumb.jpg.c2ab5ab57e02555679b259cb82a7318c.jpg

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Take it from the feeling in an old crone's bones.............I've seen temps reaching 14c in many February's in the past for them only to revert.   Don't worry, the cold will return!:oldwink:

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 7

Something different for today's pic, it's downtown Kelso with clear blue skies:

20190204_101904.thumb.jpg.a8286188c34113f0e6a8ee60503772ee.jpg

• Like 8

Snowless (almost) but no less stunning Pentland Hills today:

• Like 9

Still have half last nights snow still lying after a steady thaw from late morning but am seeing puddles skin up and start to freeze in shaded areas under blue skies. The frost we had before these snowfalls is still in the ground to a depth of about 3 inches and will  help to  preserve the   snow. Still looks frosty at night on my local forecast on here for the next couple of weeks so will probably keep snow lying in the woods or shaded areas. Currently 2.5c ,

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Still have half last nights snow still lying after a steady thaw from late morning but am seeing puddles skin up and start to freeze in shaded areas under blue skies. The frost we had before these snowfalls is still in the ground to a depth of about 3 inches and will  help to  preserve the   snow. Still looks frosty at night on my local forecast on here for the next couple of weeks so will probably keep snow lying in the woods or shaded areas. Currently 2.5c ,

Yes, looks like pretty average temperatures and rainfall for the next couple of weeks. Not the WIO with +10C temps and TM zonal from the SW some are shouting about, particularly in the cold hunt thread. Any way time will tell and we will see in the next few weeks if Winter is to have another bite.

4C here now and dropping at the moment from a rather average max of 6C in the late morning. Snow gone apart from a couple of icy bits and the odd piles where people cleared their drives. The kids round the corner managed to build a large snowman which was amazing as I doubt that we got more than  2cms here at the most.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 4