Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

just found these on youtube of the snow in New York

@edo thats a snow tease ^^^ ? get the polar vortex in and the feet deep snaw will follow is the saying over there I think lol

- and to think I will be happy with a snow shower that gives me a covering of snow lol :oldrofl:

• Like 7
  • Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh my life what an awesome snowy day!!! First thing......down to see how the Ballo is freezing over. It's getting there, but even the light snow on West Lomond looked the part: Then home fo

Best snow in years ? 2 1/2 inches before the met office issue a weather warning LOL a light cover at 7am started proper at 9 and still going, just about.

Strange weather here sleety rain and at times snow but general slow thaw before temperatures finally dropping this afternoon with snow setting in. First picture shows plenty of water funnelling down A

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Snowlover2 said:

I can’t believe how much frost is on my car. It’s going to take me 5 years to clear it. ??‍♀️

Five years

That's all we've got 

My brain hurts a lot

Five years

That's all we've got

Ok, that's enough. Promise I'm not starting a trend.

23 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

just found these on youtube of the snow in New York

In the second video, I actually have one of those snow blowers in the garage, or something very similar. It was left by the previous owner, apparently bought by and left by the ones before that. I have no idea if it even runs, but looks almost brand new. Probably bought around 2009/10 and rarely used. One day I'd love a good reason to see if it does work. 

Mad amounts of snow in those videos., and just for once in my life I'd like to experience something like that. While skiing in Utah once we had to dig the car out the day we were leaving. It had snowed overnight and we literally couldn't see the car as it was buried in powder that was above the roof as it was parked between two fences in the back yard. Still wasn't as mad as those NY videos though. 

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

In the second video, I actually have one of those snow blowers in the garage, or something very similar. It was left by the previous owner, apparently bought by and left by the ones before that. I have no idea if it even runs, but looks almost brand new. Probably bought around 2009/10 and rarely used. One day I'd love a good reason to see if it does work. 

I think @Blitzen  must of sold it to them ?

1 minute ago, Ravelin said:

Mad amounts of snow in those videos., and just for once in my life I'd like to experience something like that. While skiing in Utah once we had to dig the car out the day we were leaving. It had snowed overnight and we literally couldn't see the car as it was buried in powder that was above the roof as it was parked between two fences in the back yard. Still wasn't as mad as those NY videos though. 

didn't @Blitzen get a snowblower and thought it had put the curse on us getting snowy winters? :oldlaugh: (apologies if I got that wrong lol)

?ing for the scandi high to develop and for the beast from the east to make his / her return and hopefully then you could get to use your snowblower ?

if only the weather was like the Argos book  and you could put your order in for whatever weather you wanted  - I will have something like this for the whole of Scotland please ? 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Aphelion said:

Hello, I've been reading for a couple of years and finally joined today, to see if anyone else saw the amazing ice halos round the sun this morning and diamond dust glittering in the air. Kind of made up for no snow.

Hopefully I've included a photo....

IMG_20190131_102205461.jpg

Didn't see that but did notice when coming home from work tonight that the snow on the verges beside the road was glistening in the car headlights. It could best be described as like thousands of tiny camera flashes going off as I passed, felt like a real celebrity. 

• Like 4

Very cold night, well below 0 across the city. -5 at my home currently and that was the low for last night. -7/-8 by the morning? Edinburgh airport could even hit -10. 

There is an upside to having almost no wind and perfectly clear skies. Braemar hit -16C, now it's up to "just" -14.4

• Like 4
6 hours ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

Very cold night, well below 0 across the city. -5 at my home currently and that was the low for last night. -7/-8 by the morning? Edinburgh airport could even hit -10. 

There is an upside to having almost no wind and perfectly clear skies. Braemar hit -16C, now it's up to "just" -14.4

-7c here and Airport -9c. Got to about -8c here at some point. Proper cold. Loving it ?

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 6

There's nothing frustrating about being able to see the big bank of cloud 15 miles away that's been dropping snow showers just over the border for the last several hours. Honest. Not even one flake let alone the five I was expecting.

Edited by CatchMyDrift
  • Like 3

More cloud this morning so not as cold as yesterday. Looks like snow isint  far away.

Sun's trying to appear above the hills so the temperature might lower yet.

Met office still showing -4c for my location at 8am.

Temperature noted around 8am.

Bit of a difference.

20190201_075316.jpg

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 6

Looks as if I'm on the warmer side of the temps posted here this morning. 'Only' -5C at the house at 7:30am and temps generally -1/2C on the drive to Fochabers. There was some light snow on and off from Huntly onwards, although it was hard to tell at times as from the car it looked more like driving through mist or cloud, couldn't really see the flakes they were that small. Still snowing lightly in Fochabers just now.

Showers seem to be pepping up a bit on the radar, around the NE coast and SE Scotland/NE England. Hope for me that they'll drive a bit further inland and give me a further light top up at home. More organised band to the NW should be making the hills pretty white.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 4

Yes, this is my theme of the winter. Snow starts, gets a bit heavier... then just bloody stops. People say, oh, it's really heavy in Alness, blizzards at Tore, the A9 is carnage, and I'm here with a joiner. FFFFFFS.

Currently -2.5c, a lot "warmer" than this time yesterday.

Sunny and calm with some tempting pink topped shower clouds visible over to the W/NW.

An overnight low of -10.2c just after midnight then a remarkable and rapid warm up to -4.5c by 2am, sticking around that temperature until dawn - really bizarre.

• Like 2