Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mesosphere said:

Seems to be a bit of beef on them. Here’s hoping they survive the commute down the M8. Real question is if they keep going or enter their death throes at Harthill Services! 

Glasgow airport reporting 2c/1c with Edinburgh at 1/-1c and Drumlabin 1c/0c 

I wouldn't mind as long as they at least reach harthill, the higher ground around shotts and harthill does seem to kill the intensity of the showers when the flow isn't very strong 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Yay. 2 minutes of sleet!

I do have a slight chance of improving my snow chances in the near future as Ms HC wants to move house. It's unlikely we'll be going far up the hill but anywhere would be better than this beach hut.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
10 minutes ago, Mesosphere said:

Seems to be a bit of beef on them. Here’s hoping they survive the commute down the M8. Real question is if they keep going or enter their death throes at Harthill Services! 

Glasgow airport reporting 2c/1c with Edinburgh at 1/-1c and Drumlabin 1c/0c 

9 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

In all honesty, at the minute they look to be fizzling out before getting too far inland due to a not very strong flow however that should change as the evening goes on and they should gradually push further across the country. Not sure how far East they'll get though as we head into tomorrow 

There looks to be enough of a westerly flow for us easterners to be in with a chance of those showers pushing there way over here and it looks like remaining that way until later tomorrow when winds might slacken or go more toward  a NW direction before the arrival of the polar low feature. Current temps here 2.1 / 0.2 C

p1548706113.gif p15487200002812.gif p15487308002812.gif p15487416002812.gif p15487524002812.gifp15487632002812.gifp15487740002812.gifp15487848002812.gif p15487956002812.gif 12-515UK.GIF?28-12 15-515UK.GIF?28-1221-515UK.GIF?28-12 36-515UK.GIF?28-12 42-515UK.GIF?28-1245-515UK.GIF?28-1251-515UK.GIF?28-12

Edited by Kirkcaldy Weather
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic

A wee snapshot of current temps. 

1356865061_currenttemps.thumb.PNG.2b0dd510e9ee5fae8dbec9b6e9fe35eb.PNG

Cant see the far South West getting anything from their low, looks a bit warm around Plymouth currently ?️

plymouth.thumb.PNG.8496b87beaa610f66390ecaa4ed26807.PNG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

on a Serious note what do you guy and girls think the polar low will bring for us? Blizzards?? just so i know to get snacks and beers in to sit and watch it all unfold.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

on a Serious note what do you guy and girls think the polar low will bring for us? Blizzards?? just so i know to get snacks and beers in to sit and watch it all unfold.

Is that suspected for Friday/Saturday 

Posted
9 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

Short lived, but has the potential to bring strong winds, a true polar low is wind speeds above 40 mph I think, will have enough precip to give a good dump on its paths outer edges if I'm not mistaken.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Keyring said:

Wednesday, Am through to PM

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
1 minute ago, Keyring said:

Apparently there is 2 one tomorrow night into wednesday and another friday night into saturday. all very confusing over on the banter thread and they are so besides themselves over an inch of snow its hard to work out what the hell is going on.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
5 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

I think they can be / are  notoriously hard to predict / forecast so I wouldn't take the positioning even on those charts I posted too literally as they will probably change even at such a short time scale, as for effects caused by it I would suspect it would have the potential to bring a more focused / local area of snow and possibly some big gusts of wind especially on the southern side of the low (dependent on the strength of the low) 

some other links explaining it a bit better than I am able too

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/6432-synoptic-analysis---last-thursdays-polar-low-and-a-continuing-cold-wintry-outlook

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_low

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/wmovl/vrl/tutorials/satmanu-eumetsat/SatManu/CMs/PL/backgr.htm

https://www.barentswatch.no/en/services/polar-lows-explained/

could bring some interesting radar / satellite watching when / if it does arrive - this could be an interesting watch https://en.sat24.com/en/gb shows those showers are plentiful out to the west ATM 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Could even bring a bit of snow down to the Edinburgh area. I guess we'll find out tomorrow where exactly it will hit.

Coming back to the showers moving in at the moment, i'd be really surprised if nothing reaches here. There are a lot of them moving in, and they are heading for the forth and towards Edinburgh from that direction. Will going over water again pep them up a bit?

showers.JPG

Edited by edinburgh_1992
  • Like 3

Posted
19 minutes ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

Could even bring a bit of snow down to the Edinburgh area. I guess we'll find out tomorrow where exactly it will hit.

Coming back to the showers moving in at the moment, i'd be really surprised if nothing reaches here. There are a lot of them moving in, and they are heading for the forth and towards Edinburgh from that direction. Will going over water again pep them up a bit?

showers.JPG

The direction of travel is very important in what your talking about, probably a more NW flow rather than a direct Westerly flow.  you've probably heard of a Squall before and that's short  sharp burst of wind and precip that last minutes rather than seconds. So It is possible yes but like a say direction is important for a strike on Edinburgh area.

I work at the jetty at Braefoot Bay on the ships occasionally and the Squalls we experience during winter can be excruciating, yet 6 mile away in say Cowdenbeath, they have very light wind, light precip. 

Edited by ghoneym

Posted

That's the wee base gathering now, ready for the rest of the showers to accumulate through the night and tomorrow lol 

IMG_1567.PNG

EDIT

Solid covering here now, very heavy shower for a good 10 mins followed by some lighter smaller flakes:

IMG_1572.thumb.PNG.22d4a87078a624f9a521336ad590811f.PNG

Radar looking good with the next big shower taking aim: 

IMG_1571.thumb.JPG.11127eeb81b3f6fff3b08ebcd0ac178c.JPG

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 7

Posted
55 minutes ago, ghoneym said:

Wednesday, Am through to PM

55 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

Apparently there is 2 one tomorrow night into wednesday and another friday night into saturday. all very confusing over on the banter thread and they are so besides themselves over an inch of snow its hard to work out what the hell is going on.

Finger crossed for you all to get a good blanket... my fingers are crossed for Friday... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Despite what the radar says, it has been raining in Glasgow during the past half hour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

Just had a look at the snaw radar, hopefully some on here around the Stirling area will be watching the white stuff fall.

Sadly the showers seem to be fizzling out before they reach over to Fife.

Capture.JPG

Posted
16 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Despite what the radar says, it has been raining in Glasgow during the past half hour.

Its wet bulb temperature, its too high. It needs to be at freezing or below. Quick math - say its 3.5 degrees in Glasgow centre - relative humidity 91% currently (from netatmo live map) - Then dew point is 2.2 deg C - to work out wet bulb  we need the dew point depression so - temperature minus dew point  = 1.3 - you then divide this number by 3 = 0.4333 - and subtract from the actual temperature - so your sitting at approx 3 deg C wet bulb temp. Not cold enough for snow.      

This is the problem our sothern friends will have tommorow also.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

I was just outside the ground temp is showing -2.2deg/C and the cars are all frosted over, its slightly overcast so pointing the thermometer at the clouds it read -19.9deg/C.

So its cold enough...just need something to fall from the sky and it'll stick..!!!

Posted

Very heavy.............Rain here at the moment PERHAPS trying to turn sleety not half cold though

Posted

There was a frost here but the shower is heavy rain with a bit of sleet.