shuggee

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

Oooof. At 0.1C this morning I cannot claim the tenth air frost. Grrrr.

Dry and clear at 7am and a beautiful drive in below the Pentlands as others above have reported. Traffic not so beautiful at the moment.

Ice day yesterday near Wick. Today started very wintry (-2C) then we got a really sharp rain shower which was most unwelcome as everything got glazed.  A slight thaw on now with some nasty hail this afternoon.

Surprised to get home to find some of the overnight snow still lying, even at the front of the house which is south facing. A wintry mix on the way home from work earlier, but much more on the liquid side of the balance than this morning.  Temps between 1 & 2C most of the way home, so still on the chilly side. 

I was in the Inverurie area today, and I have to say it was a chilly/sleety unpleasant experience (weather wise). Drove through intermittent rain and low, blinding sunshine.

Positives were some nice skyscapes over the hills and  over the N Sea on the way home - didn't have camera on this occasion :oldmellow:.

11 hours ago, johnholmes said:

Some really great photographs in here, thank you,keep them coming

And keep your fantastic understandable analysis coming in the model thread, one of the posters I can understand 😁

5 hours ago, edo said:

And keep your fantastic understandable analysis coming in the model thread, one of the posters I can understand 😁

Thank you very much for that, much appreciated, I do intend to keep the 500 mb anomaly charts going with the occasional post re other things.

I know I'm going to maybe regret saying this if things turn suddenly very zonal but...does anyone else slightly miss the wind? ☹️

6 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

I know I'm going to maybe regret saying this if things turn suddenly very zonal but...does anyone else slightly miss the wind? ☹️

Only in the respect that I've had to rake up leaves this year, whereas last year the wind deposited them in nice neat piles for me to just scoop up. 

51 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

I'd definitely welcome a spell of Atlantic driven weather for variety sake if nothing else. What's happened to the Autumn storms we used to get....

Leafs – does anyone recall pressing leafs in between pages of books. I can (just) remember collecting colourful autumnal sycamore, oak and beech leafs on the way home from school. Simple hobby, I suppose by today’s standards.

Anyway, nowadays, I let most of the leaves mulch away in the garden to enrich the poor subsoil hereabouts.

Great stuff @CatchMyDrift - ferry goes past my street! 🤣 (I am a few minutes walk from the Royal Gourock Yacht Club) Enjoyed all the pictures you posted this week - covered some distance/places and what a fantastic week of weather for it! 

Speaking of weather...glorious night for a wild camp on top of a Munro! (I can see this one from the hill behind me - very jealous of this man)

I am sure @Benvironment has done this once or twice? 😀

Been a bit milder here today with a max of 7.7C and a little rain this evening.

Noticed this from Matt Taylor. Rather unusual for November! Due to the Southerly tracking jet I assume.

Rain rain rain ...

...but not in #Shetland! 🌤

Whilst some parts of the country are under floodwater, Lerwick has only recorded 14.6mm of rain so far the month - just 10% of their November average of 146mm!

Edited by Norrance

6 hours ago, NorthernRab said:

I like a good gale when under the duvet on the couch with the kids watching a movie or when it's blowing snow around but love no wind for being out coaching and watching the kids footy. 

10 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Morning all! :santa-emoji:

Another cold start here, lovely sunrise and great weekend of weather ahead! 

0136C51E-D8A3-4A89-8095-9B60DC85C28C.thumb.jpeg.8fc2d52194674b015ea448102756379b.jpeg

95319BB0-165F-406A-99B3-0A8BCAA928E6.thumb.jpeg.5bf0517e0cc362fe90e9e5a3ce52678f.jpeg

Also had a squirrel staring at me through the bedroom window. 😁

9E31C422-51FD-41E7-ABED-26CDD9C247DE.thumb.jpeg.cfd1ff90ef898eaec3a682ed7282caf7.jpeg

Have a brilliant weekend! 

Knocker's pals relative😁

Second the comments above regarding leaves as they are all evenly spread across the garden with the lack of wind.Noticed too in the last few days one of the heavily laden holly trees has had all the berries stripped from it..Currently bright and 4.5c

3 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Another day another Ben Lomond sunrise...

20191116_075108.thumb.jpg.00c0c3ff3124206e74e9f388e213f615.jpg20191116_075118.thumb.jpg.bc17e6471b643c1ce212bcd8cf2ff668.jpg

Two more nights then back to some boring Borders beeches for my pics 🙄

wonderful shots, and no midges!

Glenshee approach road braemar side.

Temperatures at the ski centre was 1C around 1.30pm. Dull, wet with low cloud obscuring the surrounding peaks.

The second picture is the road continuing to the spital of Glenshee - Perth side. 

No sign of the snow factory modules.

20191116_134611.jpg

20191116_135333.jpg

Edited by Sceptical