Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
shuggee

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

Recommended Posts

Is that summer done then? if so a quick run into winter is what i'm after. wont be long before we can start to compare ice and snaw in the northern hemisphere with seasons gone by. then we are into silly season with the long range guys and girls giving their thoughts only to get shot down when folk fail to understand that the members in here do not control the weather etc. then its the M4 barrier and the it's all a bit too marginal. Winter 19/20 i cant wait. ❄️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

Is that summer done then? if so a quick run into winter is what i'm after. wont be long before we can start to compare ice and snaw in the northern hemisphere with seasons gone by. then we are into silly season with the long range guys and girls giving their thoughts only to get shot down when folk fail to understand that the members in here do not control the weather etc. then its the M4 barrier and the it's all a bit too marginal. Winter 19/20 i cant wait. ❄️

I don't think summer is done, it's never that simple. This morning's ECM and GFS 00z runs are suggesting high pressure influencing our weather in 8-10 days time with a classic settled September spell. 18C-20C every day for a week or more under high pressure would still feel very decent.

I am also looking forward to winter. It can't be as bad as last winter with almost no snow here at all. The only proper snow we had was in March and that only lasted a few hours. Wishing for snow is my version of crystal meth so bring it on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I don't think summer is done, it's never that simple. This morning's ECM and GFS 00z runs are suggesting high pressure influencing our weather in 8-10 days time with a classic settled September spell. 18C-20C every day for a week or more under high pressure would still feel very decent.

I am also looking forward to winter. It can't be as bad as last winter with almost no snow here at all. The only proper snow we had was in March and that only lasted a few hours. Wishing for snow is my version of crystal meth so bring it on.

Last winter was a lemon show! I couldn't handle a repeat. Depression would set in! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its actually good to see a dampish morning  to do paperwork as been manic on the farm making late very good  hay,weaning cows and calves and loading grain.

Currently overcast and 16c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great thunderstorm forecast @Kirkcaldy Weather - spot on for the parts of England you mentioned. (Supercell near County Durham)

As @CatchMyDrift mentioned above - the models/charts are showing exactly what I am personally hoping/wishing for! 

If I can’t get 25c+ (which is obviously rare for us in September) I’ll take 18c to 20c all day long.

Very jealous of @101_North in the low 30’s Celsius!

I really hope this outlook becomes reality - snapshot of latest GFS run which has us warm and settled from September 6th until the end of the run. 

003C3EE9-2971-490C-8152-6589B79B34DC.thumb.png.31547f50ebc542468e025125620c4ae8.pngD543D3DB-CE52-47C2-9E73-9B0EC4FB844A.thumb.png.406c368490317f4c05bcb22a43df37cb.png

With regards to Winter and in our current climate...it would not surprise me at all if we set new hottest temperature records for December and January! 😀

Last Winter was decent here for low ground (late Winter) - locally great above 150 meters as is usually the case. 

The snow hunt starts for me on November 1st - until then give me a warm/settled September and a chilly or mild dry and sunny October with a few severe gale events thrown in!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mr Frost said:

Great thunderstorm forecast @Kirkcaldy Weather - spot on for the parts of England you mentioned. (Supercell near County Durham)

With regards to Winter and in our current climate...it would not surprise me at all if we set new hottest temperature records for December and January! 😀

Last Winter was decent here for low ground (late Winter) - locally great above 150 meters as is usually the case. 

The snow hunt starts for me on November 1st - until then give me a warm/settled September and a chilly or mild dry and sunny October with a few severe gale events thrown in!

Thanks 😀 played out pretty much as I expected with the 2 zones of storms and some intense ones around Lincolnshire like I mentioned 

 

 

On 26/08/2019 at 23:12, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

I will have a look through tomorrow to see if anything changes but looks to me like the risks for storms tomorrow will be two zones with models being in disagreement, zone 1 is somewhere in the North / North east of England although CAPE values are not as good in this area but a few of the models agree on some precip in that area tomorrow afternoon / evening and zone 2 would be somewhere down toward Lincolnshire with much better CAPE but less models showing precip, I dont see anything thundery for us but should the storms develop in the north / north east of England they may clip somewhere in the eastern borders and extreme east coast  but it just doesn't scream thunderstorms up here unfortunately looking at the charts.

I would prefer to see cold records being broken in December and January please :cold:, last winter was as far away from "decent" as you could get for here and quite a few of us so you got lucky @Mr Frost and my snow / cold hunt also starts on 1st November. Nice to see some cooler charts starting to appear now gens-5-0-300.thumb.png.972d55b830c6832f2679dcca0f851787.png  gens-20-0-240.thumb.png.58bd0efc5aab4d607c973c91f83addf0.png would be nice to see some Autumn frosts and possibly some wintry showers for the mountains and high hills. Cooler air moving in through the weekend and start of next week nmm-16-119-0.thumb.png.23ac2c0efc7a34ef186694bf787f6b84.png  nmm-21-118-0.thumb.png.99cd949189b1419474d2e07adbdbfcc0.png

 

5 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I am also looking forward to winter. It can't be as bad as last winter with almost no snow here at all. The only proper snow we had was in March and that only lasted a few hours. Wishing for snow is my version of crystal meth so bring it on.

This was my total snow for all of last winter DSC_0128.thumb.JPG.1b25e1785826e28c028796e837315c5a.JPGDSC_0130.thumb.JPG.a27b35e23f2917a1978809e72933e8d1.JPG think @101_North summed it up nicely :oldlaugh: 

 

 

5 hours ago, 101_North said:

Last winter was a lemon show! I couldn't handle a repeat. Depression would set in! 

My list for :santa-emoji: this year is simple 🌨️ ❄️ ❄️🌨️  Snow Nonstop All Winter 😂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

I would prefer to see cold records being broken in December and January please :cold:, last winter was as far away from "decent" as you could get for here and quite a few of us so you got lucky @Mr Frost and my snow / cold hunt also starts on 1st November. 

Agreed about December and January! 😀

It was a late start to Winter 2018/19!

First snowfall didn’t arrive on the hills/mountains until mid December around here and then we had my favourite wind direction in Winter arrive packing a punch on numerous occasions through January and February. (north-westerly!)

At sea level we had quite a few dustings but up on the hills/mountains it was a different story as expected.

26E0925E-55E0-4080-97CB-76CB6CF6905E.thumb.jpeg.03fa551ab42565c47423500653d7bc31.jpegAC04CB4C-BBB1-4299-9314-F16FDE9DC6E0.thumb.jpeg.2ea732884eb6580df92089271bc781f4.jpegCFDC3A06-F489-411A-9334-0A7D83BBA6F7.thumb.jpeg.4ce3bcf15afd8f34feca467915a24216.jpegF2B86BD7-537F-4B85-BF1C-C20B0AF96806.thumb.jpeg.3e07ec7201c4bae601498aa64771dfee.jpegEB312D94-BA74-4DCE-B797-A20D2BC25894.thumb.jpeg.fed0a25881c963756cfd50921db8aeb4.jpegC512257B-87C1-4AC0-B4A9-10273B98544D.thumb.jpeg.0d203c4c9ac0d8f08adaf315558f49d8.jpeg3CD23796-A8C8-41BB-A496-79F802D0AFF6.thumb.jpeg.871fac3c12be3ea76fd60c4c93a45c28.jpegBB5F35FD-294E-4E48-9FE0-8D1DFD3C9235.thumb.jpeg.1fbd4de6ab608e9ec9ac7a75c447282d.jpeg4844D6A4-3B4A-472F-B851-BA7E5B0A1A2B.thumb.jpeg.19f5b0b2f808fc4edabe766b30ad9529.jpeg1D1768CB-FBE9-4AEC-AB09-F1FBB39AF3C0.thumb.jpeg.45c0ed4b5b0333e7dbff2f5d86b3a3cd.jpeg218A815E-1E81-443F-821B-59381D31EAF3.thumb.jpeg.a08081f3e0caf2a4e20afd33f3d5fcf7.jpeg

That’s put me right in the mood - forget my earlier posts...bring on the snow! 😂🎅

Edited by Mr Frost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've got a while to wait but if I had a magic wand we'd all be getting some of this over winter (well those who like winter, I know we're not all snow fans) 

 

 

 

 

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some rain about for many of us today and then the weekend looks very wet indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/08/2019 at 14:27, CatchMyDrift said:

Where are you pitching your tent? Just being nosy now 😂

Missed this earlier! I salute your nosiness. We went to Ruberslaw between Hawick and Jedburgh. Cracking little campsite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/08/2019 at 16:23, bigsnow said:

Anybody in here know much about a village called Tarbrax? all i know is its 300m asl. 

It's 20mins out from me but a world of difference in terms of snow due to the height. Couple of kids in our local primary school live out that way in Auchengray and they get a fair bit of snow every winter. No idea what the Tarbrax itself is like as I've never ventured off the A70 - looks remote and as someone else mentioned is probably a bit 'end of the road' - some really great scenery nearby though - I love the A70 from our house to Ayr - lovely views. And Edinburgh is only a 40min drive away. 

There was someone from from Tarbrax who used to post on here but I can't remember their username sadly. They were always reporting snow when Currie/Balerno had sleety pish/rain.

Edited by 101_North

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not been Tarbrax for many years but it used to have a name for being very backward/boonies type of place. Think backwoods Louisiana...🙄 But it is right on top of a hill..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking like a really nice few days to come. after this long hot dry summer we need a bit more rain. 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bigsnow said:

Looking like a really nice few days to come. after this long hot dry summer we need a bit more rain. 😂

I can see exactly what you mean. At most it's a little drizzle, it won't even dampen the drought parched ground:

1850301811_Screenshot_20190830-090914_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.4ec2a72d5fdeefa3fc5c4190d8d7ed6f.jpg

 

We were on tour yesterday, MrsC is still convinced somewhere round Strathyre/Lochearnhead/Crianlarich would be good to move to and doesn't seem to quite get how wet it can be all the time. I tried to convince her that somewhere further east like Aberfeldy might be better but she's not buying it.

We had a good tootle about from here to Pitlochry via Callander, Lochearnhead, Killin, Kenmore & Aberfeldy. It was pishy wet in the west but quite nice for a wonder around Pitlochry later in the afternoon:

20190829_151826.thumb.jpg.b4184935a45bb1c54c0fdd0c9cab1e38.jpg20190829_162505.thumb.jpg.377d1cb09b63e2bf75591ecbaaf20085.jpg20190829_162514.thumb.jpg.3c20bd7c8bd7415b4342666681541268.jpg

Evening stroll in Callander:

20190829_192534.thumb.jpg.d6f006e8ecc4e7e824fe266472b79a64.jpg20190829_193417.thumb.jpg.dc928d4e0aa3c328257c1255adb38cd4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very windy yesterday and we stayed mostly on the dry side of the dividing line between dry and wet.Gusts of wind were a bit of a nuisance as we baled another block of hay as the rows of hay were blown about but without the wind it would never have been dry enough to bale. The heat of the last weekend really made this late hay  it is still a green colour.

Seems we are on the line again today between wet and dry with a gusty wind overcast skies odd spits of rain and 20c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bigsnow said:

@CatchMyDrift you were in my area and didnt pop in for a cuppa and a bacon roll..😂

I know...shockingly poor show!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really has been wet for the last few hours here now and seems quite a bit more rain to come too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

guys and girls anybody here know what Grantown on Spey is like? the wife has fallen in love with a bungalow and wants to know what its like. now she does not like snaw so its important for her to find out if it snaws much. 🤣

Edited by bigsnow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

guys and girls anybody here know what Grantown on Spey is like? the wife has fallen in love with a bungalow and wants to know what its like. now she does not like snaw so its important for her to find out if it snaws much. 🤣

It's 220m above sea level but strangely it never snows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It's 220m above sea level but strangely it never snows.

sounds perfect. i shall let her know you said it's ok to move then...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a quick one for the mods in here... is it possible to get the different like button options back.. was much nicer with the others,. i mean it's not a deal breaker but would be nice.

Edited by bigsnow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I can see exactly what you mean. At most it's a little drizzle, it won't even dampen the drought parched ground:

1850301811_Screenshot_20190830-090914_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.4ec2a72d5fdeefa3fc5c4190d8d7ed6f.jpg

 

We were on tour yesterday, MrsC is still convinced somewhere round Strathyre/Lochearnhead/Crianlarich would be good to move to and doesn't seem to quite get how wet it can be all the time. I tried to convince her that somewhere further east like Aberfeldy might be better but she's not buying it.

We had a good tootle about from here to Pitlochry via Callander, Lochearnhead, Killin, Kenmore & Aberfeldy. It was pishy wet in the west but quite nice for a wonder around Pitlochry later in the afternoon:

20190829_151826.thumb.jpg.b4184935a45bb1c54c0fdd0c9cab1e38.jpg20190829_162505.thumb.jpg.377d1cb09b63e2bf75591ecbaaf20085.jpg20190829_162514.thumb.jpg.3c20bd7c8bd7415b4342666681541268.jpg

Evening stroll in Callander:

20190829_192534.thumb.jpg.d6f006e8ecc4e7e824fe266472b79a64.jpg20190829_193417.thumb.jpg.dc928d4e0aa3c328257c1255adb38cd4.jpg

When I was at school up in that area I was taught that Killin has double the rainfall of Kenmore / Aberfeldy but only two thirds of the snow lying days. Perhaps the Loch influences temperature slightly at the Western end. Met O reports from Artalnaig on Loch Tay do show fewer snow days than those from Camserney near Aberfeldy or Faskally near Pitlochry. Warmth from the Loch perhaps? 

 St Fillans likewise at the East end of Loch Earn is much drier than Lochearnhead.

@bigsnow Our friends from Granton on Spey tell us that it never snows there

(in August).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cheers @Norrance i shall pass that on to the boss lady..😂 but i wont include the August bit. i shall just say it never snaws..

Edited by bigsnow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

27.4mm of rain overnight. It's a bit damp.

This August now 'nailded' on as one of the wettest I've recorded: rainfall 226% of the long-term average for the month (and there's more to come today).

Roll on the frosts and snaw!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...