Sign in to follow this  
shuggee

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

She's lovely but I swear I married a reptile when she asks for fire stuff in August:

20190815_190013.thumb.jpg.1a112cb9c85d3540bb1ccd26cd7ab3c7.jpg

A reptile that encouraged you to burn beech, to boot. (Always wanted to use that little phrase.)

It's been a pleasant day up here for a change, as was yesterday(ish) - up to 18C according to the car and plenty of sunshine.  

Well high summer is over here as the swifts left yesterday after a fairly good breeding season with just four pairs arriving in the house and around 24 leaving.

With the Nairn games on Saturday winter arrives on Sunday according to some of the locals a saying I have heard many times over the years. With  the schools going back next week it just adds to the feeling that autumn is on its way..

Lovely late summer day.

Max of 17c with plenty of sunshine, though got a bit breezy in the early afternoon before winds fell light in the evening.

Nice sunset to round the day off. 

Continuing the ornithological theme, plenty of House Martins soaring above the fields this evening - they also seem to have had a good breeding season after a poor start (plenty of nests from last year were not reoccupied).  Strangely, Swallows and Swifts are pretty uncommon in the immediate area round here.

sunset.thumb.jpg.b146232049b772261fafcae2e5e80fa2.jpg

11 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

A reptile that encouraged you to burn beech, to boot. (Always wanted to use that little phrase.)

It's been a pleasant day up here for a change, as was yesterday(ish) - up to 18C according to the car and plenty of sunshine.  

It was just a little beech I found at the side of the road, picked it up and bundled it in the boot. Took it home, cut it up. 

This is wrong 😂

1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It was just a little beech I found at the side of the road, picked it up and bundled it in the boot. Took it home, cut it up. 

This is wrong 😂

There'll be a knock at the door soon :oldlaugh:

Supposed to be raining this morning but unless my eyes are lying, the ground is dry.

Wet and windy here. God I hate autumn.

54 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

There'll be a knock at the door soon :oldlaugh:

Supposed to be raining this morning but unless my eyes are lying, the ground is dry.

That wood be my luck, tree police officers turning up to arrest me for crimes against comedy.

It's supposed to be raining here but it's more damp than wet:

20190816_082853.thumb.jpg.54d0484d62d8608ae652c474d41a43ac.jpg

Marti Pellow here this morning.

Just now, CatchMyDrift said:

That wood be my luck, tree police officers turning up to arrest me for crimes against comedy.

It's supposed to be raining here but it's more damp than wet:

20190816_082853.thumb.jpg.54d0484d62d8608ae652c474d41a43ac.jpg

There'll be more than tree of them... unless they're Irish! :hi:

Really not been too bad here this morning. Bit of light rain early on and it's breezy but been dry for a while and it's slowly brightening up. Hopefully clear through the borders early afternoon so I can get my tent pitched dry! Fingers crossed! 

2 hours ago, 101_North said:

Really not been too bad here this morning. Bit of light rain early on and it's breezy but been dry for a while and it's slowly brightening up. Hopefully clear through the borders early afternoon so I can get my tent pitched dry! Fingers crossed! 

Where are you pitching your tent? Just being nosy now 😂

8 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Where are you pitching your tent? Just being nosy now 😂

Somewhere to keep an eye on your illicit arboriculture. Bring back the birch!

Anybody in here know much about a village called Tarbrax? all i know is its 300m asl. 

1 hour ago, bigsnow said:

Anybody in here know much about a village called Tarbrax? all i know is its 300m asl. 

Looks kind of er quaint? end of the road? might be haunted? distant banjos?

(with apologies to any Tarbraxers)

And what happened to today's deluge? We got one very short, light showers. Nice and warm and was sunny mostly.

Just now, Hairy Celt said:

Looks kind of er quaint? end of the road? might be haunted? distant banjos?

(with apologies to any Tarbraxers)

And what happened to today's deluge? We got one very short, light showers. Nice and warm and was sunny mostly.

Its all fallen in Crieff. i like end of the road and haunted is fine as im looking at the converted church. my eldest son can play banjo so could be a good fit..😂

Not the brightest of afternoons to take Finn to his first beach - Nith estuary at Carsethorn. Stopped raining around 13.30 though, so dry.

IMG_20190816_143542.jpg

IMG_20190816_145050.jpg

Drive home through Moffat and over the Beef Tubs damp and then sunshine in glorious Upper Tweeddale 😎

On 12/08/2019 at 20:53, bigsnow said:

@Kirkcaldy Weather i wont need no beast from the east if i get my house move sorted..☃️

@Ruzzi lives near the place you are looking at, he's not about much in summer but he would be able to give better info than the rest of us.

INTENSE rainfall with gutters overflowing and gusty winds here (cell did have lightning before it moved into Fife but none since) 

Edited by Kirkcaldy Weather

"MDT / ENH / SLGT risks have been issued for SE Iceland into the N Atlantic, NW Ireland, Northern Ireland and W Scotland threat for severe to extremely severe non-convective winds with gusts in excess of 100-120 km/h locally. Windstorm is associated with the deep cyclone moving towards NE just north of UK. Peak gusts in excess of 120 km/h are expected to remain over the open waters of N Atlantic."

Edited by Kirkcaldy Weather

The rain has just arrived and it's monsoon in nature (enough to get the kids to wake up and wonder what is going on).

Gutters are overflowing and its balmy (14c), but alas no thunder and lightening.

Some healthy showers just passed through here in quite a narrow band. Lightning plotted north of Aberdeen but not in the city itself.

On 14/08/2019 at 21:17, Hairy Celt said:

How's the webbed feet and swim bladder evolution coming along?

Sorry for the late response, but I've been busy appeasing our new dolphin overlords.

Lightning detected further south of me, heavy downpour passing through 🙂 

I'm in killie at the moment, can hear the thunder from the storm over towards Ayr heading this wayish.

Edited by Ross B

Literally constant thunder rolling off that cell... I've got a good view of it but haven't seen any lightning and the worst is probably just going to slide past here.