shuggee

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

Not heavy rain by any stretch of the imagination but is persistent although took a while to get going. Really is a dreary afternoon though

Grey day, a little bit of light rain this morning but just cloudy now.  Feeling a lot cooler than recently.

Posted (edited)

I mean the weather is interesting and stuff, but I've started to yearn for September already. September is usually nice, right?

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard

Been constant moderately heavy rain here since this morning, occasionally easing to lighter rain but never going off.The gardens starting to look a bit puddley.On a positive note this is the least humid it's felt in a while and the coolest it's been in about 6 weeks.

The fact that its cooling off is a real relief for malting barley crops as any pregermination of the ripe grain means the grain is rejected outright and its value severely reduced.Brief dry period early afternoon but now light rain and cool at 11c. Really do need to see a good September to rescue this summer on the farm.

Note its just above freezing on the summit of Cairngorm currently.

Last year September was rubbish. August was the same after a great May, June and July last year.. August is never a good month for weather. I do not remember a good proper sunshine and dry spell in August over the years. Apart from 2003 and a few years throughout the 90s August is generally a poor month in Scotland with constant Low Pressure moving through with Frontal Rain or Showers. It is ideal (best) time to jet off the sunshine as it still summer elsewhere. The light nights also gone by August and usually far too many trees turning autumnal some are diseased but others aren’t and it’s due to the poor weather.. Just hope High Pressure can make some impact during September.

A dreary day with lots of low cloud, and since 4pm continual light rain.

Winds light but the real change is the temperature with the lowest maximum seen for over a month at a chilly feeling 14c.

Overall though its been quite a memorable period of weather in the past month thanks to the warm temperatures.  Also memorable here for having thunderstorms warnings for about a week - resulting in not a single lightening strike/rumble of thunder.  Fickle weather....

I have been taking the boys home this afternoon and it has been a wet drive. It is very rare to have continuous rain between home (near Greenlaw) all the way to Kilmacolm. Currently stopped in at Tesco at Hermiston Gait on the way back and it is still going. If this keeps up all the way home I think it'll be the 1st time in over seven years of doing this trip every second weekend that it's rained all the way there and back. Very unusual weather.

20190811_203644.thumb.jpg.ecdb41531758fe858720a9ffd5a47d01.jpg

Never stopped here all day, constant since about about 5.30 this morning and still going.

Posted (edited)

At least 14 hours of incessant, non-stop rain falling on sodden ground. A lot of surface water flooding on the roads with watercourses widely bursting their banks.

Reports that both the Kilmarnock Water and River Irvine have burst their banks in Kilmarnock. Retail Park at Queens Drive apparently flooded from the river. Lots of roads closed in and around Kilmarnock.

Hopefully this coming week will be reasonably dry as I have a week off work.

Edited by JamesM

God I thought I was the doom merchant, reading today's posts I have competition!

@Stormeh - we were walking back along the beach just now and there was a seal more than keeping pace with us, popping his/her head up occasionally to check we were still playing.  There was a young headless one washed up a couple of years ago - apparently this is what some fishermen do when they get stuck in the nets. Miserable turds.

4 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

There was a young headless one washed up a couple of years ago - apparently this is what some fishermen do when they get stuck in the nets. Miserable turds.

Oh that’s horrible, poor thing!

Some young neds go fishing during the summer at Loch Long and leave a terrible mess behind. Today there was empty bottles of beer, food waste, fishing hooks and fishing line lying at the side of the rocks where I usually fish. It’s such a shame because it’s a really nice area. I wish they had cameras or someone patrolling the area to stop them.

17 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

God I thought I was the doom merchant, reading today's posts I have competition!

@Stormeh - we were walking back along the beach just now and there was a seal more than keeping pace with us, popping his/her head up occasionally to check we were still playing.  There was a young headless one washed up a couple of years ago - apparently this is what some fishermen do when they get stuck in the nets. Miserable turds.

Did they find the bams that put the dredger through Loch Carron to make it easier to catch the shell fish?

It's soggy underfoot but a nice fresh morning otherwise:

20190812_083455.thumb.jpg.21763aa476afbb937c9d6dd3a65c1961.jpg20190812_083449.thumb.jpg.59feb87f65926f989d7e56455a14bb3c.jpg20190812_084215.thumb.jpg.6a7c2f3703351d7193947fe0b895014e.jpg20190812_084250.thumb.jpg.4a6d44cb4315ab7c3e639a577fbbba8a.jpg

10 hours ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Did they find the bams that put the dredger through Loch Carron to make it easier to catch the shell fish?

Dunno. Can't see anyone getting prosecuted though.

Shower out to the west IMG_20190812_175601.thumb.jpg.ac200be8807651c6e5ea91d96ccfad8d.jpg

And some rumbles of thunder I caught during Saturday's storm (apologies for the messy window, due to the easterly wind and rain I didn't have time to clean it) 

Well the property we were looking at didnt work out but we are looking at another tomorrow its in the middle of a triangle of torphins, lumphanan and kincardine o'neil 199.5m asl so fingers and toes crossed. weather wise a mainly bright day here until we stepped outside with the kids to go to the park and the heavens opened.

1 hour ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Shower out to the west IMG_20190812_175601.thumb.jpg.ac200be8807651c6e5ea91d96ccfad8d.jpg

And some rumbles of thunder I caught during Saturday's storm (apologies for the messy window, due to the easterly wind and rain I didn't have time to clean it) 

I can only give you a 9.5 im afraid. would have been a 10 but for the window...🤣

38 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

I can only give you a 9.5 im afraid. would have been a 10 but for the window...🤣

:oops: :oldlaugh: preferred it being covered in snow when we had the Beast From The East DSC_0044.thumb.JPG.b32f08986b8d4491ed0b7eed56a7e011.JPG 🙏 ing for more of the same this winter, charts like this at +0h archives-2018-2-28-0-0.thumb.png.6b4c5128a2694aa69abd910c53eef439.png archives-2018-2-28-0-1.thumb.png.5038d2cfe6ff269bf83fb7d5aaa7f593.png archives-2018-2-28-12-0.thumb.png.6d85ea48613dae973c6b18c99c03bf9b.png archives-2018-2-28-12-1.thumb.png.07a52bb452f6bd167765a3334099cae8.png :spiteful:

A view of what appears to be a multi-cell system to the south of Glasgow. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looking NE out my window towards North Lanarkshire and can see this huge Cumulonimbus. Went to other side of the house after seeing the photos above and it’s dark skies with the cloud tops towering overhead. Surprised when I seen that.