Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
5 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

More than welcome. i'm sure the bacon sarnies will keep us full of energy for a snaw ball fight or 2.

A winter to look forward to then 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
2 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

A winter to look forward to then 

just got to pull this house move off without the wife clocking what im up to with the move to higher ground... she mentioned a place called Buckie the other day. i nearly spat my vintage cider down my self... no offense to anybody from Buckie but thats a snaw no go area...

Posted
1 minute ago, bigsnow said:

just got to pull this house move off without the wife clocking what im up to with the move to higher ground... she mentioned a place called Buckie the other day. i nearly spat my vintage cider down my self... no offense to anybody from Buckie but thats a snaw no go area...

Could do worse than Buckie tbh - the top end up by the A98 is at about 50m asl. (Understand that this is from someone living at 10m asl and about 50m from the shore. What is it with women and snowlessness?) I stayed in Portgordon a couple of winters ago and that was dreadful, you couldn't even see anywhere with snow when you knew that a few miles inland everywhere was plastered.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Could do worse than Buckie tbh - the top end up by the A98 is at about 50m asl. (Understand that this is from someone living at 10m asl and about 50m from the shore. What is it with women and snowlessness?) I stayed in Portgordon a couple of winters ago and that was dreadful, you couldn't even see anywhere with snow when you knew that a few miles inland everywhere was plastered.

She dont like the cold. iv'e told her she can keep the heating on an extra hour a day and even offered to buy her a new jumper but still she moans. 200m asl was my target but i will take 180 well inland. i think i may have sold it to her or maybe it was the gin talking. i do normally have the final say on houses so reckon i will pull it off. it is about the only thing i have a say on..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
3 hours ago, bigsnow said:

@Ravelin its just 2 miles south west of Insch so well enough inland.

Auchleven/Leslie area then, probably as likely to see snow as anywhere, depending on the winter and the direction anything is coming from. If the snow is higher up then at least you have the Bennachie hills to the east and the Coreen hills to the south if you want a walk to get a snow fix with the kids. I'm just the other side of Sui Hill from there. 

Good luck, hope it suits. 

• Like 1

Posted

Anyways to keep things weather related i'm watching this front from the south west move rapidly. and just look at the lightening strikes following on behind it, i think tomorrow is gonna be a cracking day for many in this group. up early again for me in the morning with the new puppy. (i leave the wife in bed for a few hours which means brownie points for me) she thinks i'm being nice.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
6 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

She dont like the cold. iv'e told her she can keep the heating on an extra hour a day and even offered to buy her a new jumper but still she moans. 200m asl was my target but i will take 180 well inland. i think i may have sold it to her or maybe it was the gin talking. i do normally have the final say on houses so reckon i will pull it off. it is about the only thing i have a say on..

she need one of these t shirts? :whistling: :oldlaugh: i-hate-snow-boots-gift-womens-jersey-t-s A case of opposites attract then was it given that you are Mr Snow?  

• Like 2

Posted
31 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

she need one of these t shirts? :whistling: :oldlaugh: i-hate-snow-boots-gift-womens-jersey-t-s A case of opposites attract then was it given that you are Mr Snow?  

I hate snow but refuse to wear more than a skinny t-shirt? Hmm.

To keep warm... first layer merino wool, second layer bamboo, third layer some nice synthetic fleece, fourth layer not needed unless windy. (I've been doing my research as I'm going somewhere chilly soon...)

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

That doesn't make sense!

Did "nt make sense to me decades ago until my last  old employee said heavy rain ripened the crop in spite of little  sunshine.To explain this effect I quote the use of conditioners (plastic fingers )on modern mowers which bruise the grass and make it lose water or wilt much faster than normal thus speeding up silage and haymaking.

Huge drops of rain do the same to crops by battering ,breaking over and  bruising the stems in standing crops thus speeding up the ripening process .Crops today definitely much riper than three days ago. A gale can also have the same effect.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 6

Posted
6 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

I hate snow but refuse to wear more than a skinny t-shirt? Hmm.

To keep warm... first layer merino wool, second layer bamboo, third layer some nice synthetic fleece, fourth layer not needed unless windy. (I've been doing my research as I'm going somewhere chilly soon...)

perhaps she needs this on top  I-HATE-WINTER-Tumblr-Sweatshirt-Women-me and where is the somewhere chilly that you are going?   Australia? https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/aug/08/thundersnow-weather-warning-as-icy-blast-sweeps-south-east-australia  https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-08/bom-issues-severe-weather-warnings-for-nsw-vic-act-and-sa/11397890

• Like 2

Posted
9 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Not Australia.... nowhere near that far away but definitely colder than here!

• Like 1

Posted

What a wet and windy morning - and cold too! Cats in winter mode (adopt-a-sofa) and I'm glad not to be working outside today!

• Like 5

Posted

Starting to get completely saturated out there one band of rain went through that was heavy even heavier dollops just went through really is very very chilly 

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Not Australia.... nowhere near that far away but definitely colder than here!

Puppebu, Jan Mayen?  

Posted
3 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Puppebu, Jan Mayen?  

Sort of right direction but not as extreme... and a lot bigger.

Still piddling down here. Easily had an inch today, it's been non-stop heavy pish.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Sort of right direction but not as extreme... and a lot bigger.

Still piddling down here. Easily had an inch today, it's been non-stop heavy pish.

Lerwick? Faroe Islands? Iceland? Hairy Celt's version of who wants to be a millionaire 

Sun has been out here for a few hours but the easterly wind and heavy rain this morning were horrendous.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Rain easing off here now. 32 mms fell today so far. Some localised flooding in parts nearby.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Rank rotten day - 19c, half an hour of sunshine and torrential rain/showers.

3F7721BC-4A23-4574-98FB-D36183CC004E.thumb.jpeg.963be4f67fdcccb41524b9d53978669b.jpeg2AA776FE-290D-44A9-9070-05BDDEC40467.thumb.jpeg.9b3be0dc2bc78114a1a20de548be925a.jpeg

Ferries were cancelled this morning due to 40mph gusts and the trains have been cancelled since 9am this morning due to a branch damaging overhead lines at Bishopton. 

Had some lightning to my North East earlier - no view of it as I am in the house! (Rain was unreal)

7308CFBD-508E-41BD-8F7F-F7BDF85F9EF9.thumb.png.b74b0d6b62f41e973f2fd032fc6949cc.png

Tomorrow looks much better! 20c (add a degree or two) plenty of sunshine and thunderstorms risk - looking forward to it.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Thought that it was quite windy here but saw this tweet from Luxembourg.

• Like 5