shuggee

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

Currently 28c here. Very very humid, the air is like ‘thick’

Safe to say that was one of the worst sleeps off nightshift I’ve had. Least i’m now off for 4 thankfully

27.9°C in nearby Stirling. Actually quite a refreshing southeasterly breeze here. 

TORRO tornado watch 

TORRO TORNADO WATCH 2019/005

A TORRO TORNADO WATCH has been issued at 13:55BST on Thursday 25th July 2019

Valid from/until: 13:55 - 23:59BST on Thursday 25th July 2019 for the following regions of the
United Kingdom & Ireland:

Parts of E Wales

Parts of the Midlands

N & E England

S and E Scotland

THREATS
Tornadoes, perhaps strong; hail to 60mm diameter; wind gusts to 60mph; CG lightning

SYNOPSIS

Scattered elevated thunderstorms are initiating over Herefordshire and these will move quickly north, with a risk of becoming severe in the next hour or so as they become more surface-based. Other storms are likely to form over parts of the Midlands and N England, all moving north at around 40mph. Shear will be sufficient for storm organisation, including supercells - any supercell would take more of a NNE track. Low-level shear is expected to be fairly high, especially later this afternoon/early evening - enhancing the tornado risk with any supercell which can develop. There is a small chance of a strong tornado, given the shear/instability parameter space.

Large hail is also likely with any supercell which can form, perhaps 40-60mm diameter.

Other thunderstorms are forming near Hitchin and will also move N or NNE, perhaps becoming severe with attendant risks as above.

It should be noted that, as always, many places will miss the storms entirely - overall, the highest risk of the hazards mentioned above appears to be over parts of the N Midlands and N England.

Forecaster: RPK

67179569_2794514500577949_59648826898603 

1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It's certainly warm. This station is a couple of miles away from me. The dew point & humidity suggest a Fohn effect from Cheviots:

1487990200_Screenshot_20190725-122106_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.32fcdfe209d7a382c07baaee44cfeb06.jpg

Only 4.9C short of the all time record at 12pm. Anyone want to place large bets against it? I think it'll fall short but not by much surely?

We've picked up an easterly breeze with a resultant fall in temp to 27C so it's curtains for anything super hot.

Quite remarkable weather. 29C at Glasgow airport only the 3rd time in over 20 years (last June had two days of 29C or more). Might still hit 30 which would be incredible though the all time record is unlikely. Quite astonishing weather in Se England and other parts of Europe with records going. It does make you wonder what it will take to beat the Scottish record. It's much harder to get temperatures above 90f here than jt is further south- it would require an exceptional set up. With the effects of climate change evident in record breaking temperatures it seems it's only a matter of time before a new record is set. I wonder how hot it can possibly get in the right set up - i would imagine we could get close to 35C.

11 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

We've picked up an easterly breeze with a resultant fall in temp to 27C so it's curtains for anything super hot.

Cell moving towards you soon not sure if it will turn thundery yet, seems to be picking up from wales and NW England, you may have a view of the cell soon to your SW

Lot of high level cloud about so there is mid air instability so Storms will develop later on. Met Office say it’s to remain dry for Glasgow other forecasts do say storms.

The clouds brewing nicely here it's HOT out there! Hopefully areally good storm on the way we need it 

In East Ayrshire here. Desperately hoping we get a good lightning show later on after my disappointment on Tuesday night. All it done was tease me with faint distant flashes. 

10 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Did I just read tornado safety advice on the Scotland discussion thread?

There's a storm working its way up, its over Lancashire just now, creeping up the coast. It seems to be holding its own, so people from Dumfries and north of that might get something decent later on. Disappointingly, I'll be able to see it sail past in the distance from my window. 

Sean Batty  @SeanBattySTV

BREAKING - It's official. Edinburgh is currently experiencing its warmest day on record with the temperature hitting 31.2C at 3pm! Previous record in the city was 30C set in 1975

only one thing for it in this heat, ice cold beer! 🍺

Convective weather showing a severe for Dumfries area whilst Met Office showing low level threat that barely even touches Lochmaben. Which one should I believe  🤔

6CE9DC08-8353-46B0-BFA0-0F7D54720CC6.png

1 minute ago, Tempest said:

Convective weather showing a severe for Dumfries area whilst Met Office showing low level threat that barely even touches Lochmaben. Which one should I believe  🤔

Go with this and not the Met office as this one appears to be holding more truth. 

1 minute ago, Tempest said:

I'm in the red zone, not seen a single flash or rumble all summer so i wont get too excited..

1 minute ago, rossco89 said:

Go with this and not the Met office as this one appears to be holding more truth. 

Excellent, thanks Rossco89 😃

My guess is we start to see it go boom soon as towers have started to shoot up rapidly in the last 30 minutes

2 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

Not much on the precipitation forecast charts from the met office,,,are these storms not picked up until they arrive??

I noticed the same earlier.

lol at the TOORPing in the storms thread that we are nicking all their storms again 🙂

Posted (edited)

Pretty hot here today (peaked at 28c) - not as hot as Edinburgh though! Brilliant stuff!

D9B877A7-CED0-4133-940C-E723D25C15E1.thumb.png.2d0236a3cf086b4e659ddba581f68a80.png

Wish these storms were heading for me! 😂

I would be absolutely buzzing if I lived in the Borders, Edinburgh, Fife ect ect!

968D8EC5-422B-4FEA-B668-E1DD578F62C4.thumb.png.9920a7ec3e7cae575e033203737a25ee.png373A03B5-16A0-45E1-A8D5-CA17399A9ACC.thumb.png.ed09aef9fc38a8942d2588dfafe25263.png

Edited by Mr Frost

looking at the radar East wales area going up toward Liverpool has been getting some action

1 minute ago, JoeShmoe said:

lol at the TOORPing in the storms thread that we are nicking all their storms again 🙂

just wait till winter when we nick all their snaw..

Very breezy here but like an oven ootside back door. Reading 30.1c on the weather station  I'm willing to swap my tornado and/or storm for another nice day - any takers? I want 3 months of sun 😎🤓