Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
shuggee

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

1 hour ago, Sceptical said:

Not a great outlook for the Scottish ski resorts this morning, very little snow being forecast for next week.

Friday next week, Scotlands temperatures should be back to average for the time of year.

Rain, hill snow Monday into Tuesday then a return to generally dry weather.

Hopefully this changes ASAP.

I am heading up the Cairngorms this week - current conditions look good.

Plus I can’t see much melt happening as even out to next Saturday temperatures at the base station for example are still freezing - I will take that all day long.

2D6C14A8-96B9-411F-B7D3-8E299DB18BB1.png

924F5FE9-A04D-4F97-B071-A039BDD134BD.png

4EBCED78-C020-4575-A789-CD93C4B9B499.png

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 5

After a great frosty start to the night rain came in earlier this morning and coated the ground with ice. Currently overcast and 3c

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sceptical said:

Not a great outlook for the Scottish ski resorts this morning, very little snow being forecast for next week.

Friday next week, Scotlands temperatures should be back to average for the time of year.

Thankfully it looks like the mild blip will be more shortlasted than initially predicted by GFS. One or two days max, then 850s should drop below zero again. Hopefully that shouldn't impact the snow cover too much. 

Also, quite a bit of snowfall between Monday and Tuesday, especially for more western areas.

Unfortunately, looks like the Lothians could be getting just a couple of mm of precipitation, GFS p is showing less than a mm for Edinburgh. Will probably fall as rain too, since temperatures are borderline. Hopefully that front pushes further east with more determination than currently predicted

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

After a great frosty start to the night rain came in earlier this morning and coated the ground with ice. Currently overcast and 3c

Pretty much the same here now, -6c first thing then the cloud start to build.

Currently still -2c and a light mixture of rain/sleet. 

• Like 2

Sun gradually breaking through the clouds here, +2C. Yesterday we got to +3C, felt very cold. Tonight if skies clear up temps could be dropping well below zero

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sceptical said:

Pretty much the same here now, -6c first thing then the cloud start to build.

Currently still -2c and a light mixture of rain/sleet. 

Where do you live? The north pole? 😱 So jealous

9 minutes ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

Where do you live? The north pole? 😱 So jealous

Beside Alford, it's about 25 miles west of Aberdeen. Can get very cold due to the hills that surround the area, although the last time it was very cold was back in 2010.

Moved here in 2004, the coldest temperature I've noted was -22c Early January 2010.

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Sceptical said:

you are well named 😁

i think we will see plenty snow in the resorts as alluded to above there is a mild blip but generally outlook cold with shots from NW and potentially NE... 

i also think we at low level will do fine all be it may have to wait a bit longer till its widespread although as CMD says plenty opportunities in specific spots at a short range

and as if by magic i have some pellets of snow falling here... thought it looked a dreich day with not much cold but just been out and it feels v chilly

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Beside Alford, it's about 25 miles west of Aberdeen. Can get very cold due to the hills that surround the area, although the last time it was very cold was back in 2010.

Moved here in 2004, the coldest temperature I've noted was -22c Early January 2010.

Wow, that's quite impressive! Being surrounded by hills you must get some good temperature inversions.

Temperature inversions are quite rare in Edinburgh, we had quite a big one in December 2017, think it got down to -10/-11. Nothing really since then

• Like 2

Looks like the euro4 is showing a organised band of heavy snow behind the front? Temperatures and dew points dropping below freezing as the front pushes through. 

7FF984CA-DED5-4FE7-B313-32E4F4F9565F.thumb.gif.64de17e913230325ca0c80f23a45d3e4.gif

D7D2E2BB-4485-4ECE-B478-C9E369A416C3.thumb.gif.d3a464c7cbccf821eb00940a671ca33b.gif

3B2F9FFE-4088-4135-A3A8-50B6D7C02072.thumb.gif.4b856e6340c378efc666facd49238ecd.gif

9BA2C9A1-243A-408C-B551-4A1A7971CA1E.thumb.gif.5e5fd120d096a58c82ddfc4efe6c9172.gif

2C5D7B94-F534-4647-A2B3-E978371A4723.thumb.gif.071030b9c274f040c78074f6b4a10437.gif

Looks pretty good @CatchMyDrift?

🙂

• Like 5

The low cloud has finally lifted from the hills/mountains to the North/Northwest of my house for the first time in three days! 

Snowline is about 350 meters - looks like they will have a thicker coat tomorrow night/Tuesday morning! ❄️

2A15D4AD-EF4A-4FBD-95ED-5D79E72ECCC8.jpeg

49F15C3A-C674-4215-9564-94AA403C9325.jpeg

• Like 9

It was cloudy earlier this morning and we had a heavy hail shower at one point. Its cleared up now though nice and sunny. I'm not sure what my chances are for snow tomorrow the GFS is going for snow showers on Monday night into Tuesday morning and the Met Office show's hail and sleet showers so might see something wintry at least.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

Unfortunately, looks like the Lothians could be getting just a couple of mm of precipitation, GFS p is showing less than a mm for Edinburgh. Will probably fall as rain too, since temperatures are borderline. Hopefully that front pushes further east with more determination than currently predicted

These setups pretty much always pan out as expected for the Edinburgh area - hee haw! I usually try and remain positive, check charts etc. but this time I think I'll save myself the hassle 😂🤣

• Like 6

Some information for skiers and snowboarders.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/inverness/1653938/cairngorm-tows-closed-due-to-health-and-safety-concerns/

Beggars belief these issues were flagged up during 2015 and ignored by the previous resort operator.

Hopefully the weather allows the repair work to be carried out before 8th February.

Queues for Car park T-bar and M1 Poma will be a nightmare this season.

• Like 6

It’s been a quiet weather day here, with partial cloud cover, so mainly sunny with a breeze from the N or NNW. Temp at the moment is 3C, but the thin snow cover is still hanging on in places.

Nice rippling clouds though.

28857951_ripple06.thumb.jpg.9b926d806f80ccb0bbc3490d4b6ea3c4.jpg105450807_ripple03.thumb.jpg.bf2c1e36e9da99f14cf0d8ba674bfb42.jpg 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Mr T said:

Trip a couple of miles along the road to the burn'o'vat today. Scenery is always great there but winter is the best. 

20190120_113304.jpg

20190120_112815.jpg

20190120_113317.jpg

20190120_112720.jpg

Oh, I don't know that location Mr T. Looks really worth a visit.

• Like 3

After a really dreich morning  a fine sunny afternoon developed. A bit of thawing going on this afternoon but ground still very slippy with about two to three inches of frost  Frost coming down again just now and currently   1c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, 101_North said:

These setups pretty much always pan out as expected for the Edinburgh area - hee haw! I usually try and remain positive, check charts etc. but this time I think I'll save myself the hassle 😂🤣

Charts not really improving, very marginal for our area. I'll try and stay positive and keep an eye on the radar tomorrow. Currents are going to be quite strong, so maybe that will help drive the rainfall/snowfall across from the west. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ciel said:

Oh, I don't know that location Mr T. Looks really worth a visit.

It's at the Muir of Dinnet National Nature Reserve. Nice walks through forrests with left over huge glacial boulders. The vat was carved out by melt water during the last ice age. There is a small tourist building at the car park that is left open for visitors to enter and read up on all the wildlife and history of the area. Well worth a visit. We're there a good few times a year as only 5min up the road. Great for all ages but entrance to the vat itself requires a little navigation over some rocks that a stream runs through - very icy today. Will head up for some more winter photos when we get our next dump of snow. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Grey day and chilly, but now clear and the moon high and bright. Luna eclipse later, about 5am. Got a nice ring round it now.

IMG_20190120_182907.thumb.jpg.7822d4b670f7ddf73454e3551f6793bc.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

It's at the Muir of Dinnet National Nature Reserve. Nice walks through forrests with left over huge glacial boulders. The vat was carved out by melt water during the last ice age. There is a small tourist building at the car park that is left open for visitors to enter and read up on all the wildlife and history of the area. Well worth a visit. We're there a good few times a year as only 5min up the road. Great for all ages but entrance to the vat itself requires a little navigation over some rocks that a stream runs through - very icy today. Will head up for some more winter photos when we get our next dump of snow. 

Those pictures are brilliant - they make winter come real.  Also the NNR looks well worth a visit. Thanks!

Another couple from near Carrbridge yesterday. A bit self-indulgent, I do like trees. 

Aspen, lovely upswept branches that have bent over at the top - this is quite an old tree (for an aspen, anyway) aspen.thumb.jpg.8753c364e34153f834c7106bdb80dad0.jpg

And a couple of birches, downy on the left and silver on the right (both will be hybrids though!) 930134098_birchjuniper.thumb.jpg.d7397a134085254cd123e88acf8f95a1.jpg

• Like 9

A rare tonking for Glasgow looking a goer.

image.thumb.png.5b7ffdb1fb3cdfbefd88e9a9a41762a2.png

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

A rare tonking for Glasgow looking a goer.

image.thumb.png.5b7ffdb1fb3cdfbefd88e9a9a41762a2.png

Will it be as good as March 2018? 😉

(I know the answer to that one... nice if it comes off though as I've not seen it forecast elsewhere...)