Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Got the grass cut (it took a while), which is about as exciting as it got so far here. A few clouds appeared mid to late afternoon but came to nothing, not even a spot of rain. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
5 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Got the grass cut (it took a while), which is about as exciting as it got so far here. A few clouds appeared mid to late afternoon but came to nothing, not even a spot of rain. 

You sound remarkably sanguine for someone just back from hols.  What the secret to your sanity?

Posted

Well a hot day at I think about 27c tops. Was securing a batch of hay for a neighbour in stifling conditions. Not much sleep tonight as its still 21.5c Even the shower on the radar about an hour ago never gave us anything.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 2

Posted
38 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

You sound remarkably sanguine for someone just back from hols.  What the secret to your sanity?

Changing careers to become a teacher means I still have 3wks before I actually have to go back to work. In another 2 weeks I'll be far from sanguine, facing the prospect of my first permanent position, and even worse, actually being expected to know what I'm doing from day 1. New school too, so a whole new set of kids to gets to know and decipher. 

Until then I'm going to spend as much time in my garden as possible. 

• Like 5

Posted

Meh 2! No storms passed here overnight as far as I'm aware - certainly wasn't woken up by anything. Right now it's hazy Temp17/Dew 16. Rain due in the early evening but whether it comes electrified I guess we'll just have to see. Been a fascinating month-and-a-bit for most of us for sure though!   

• Like 1

Posted

So was there anything yesterday, anywhere, that justified all of the storm forecasts? I know storms are about as difficult to predict as snow, but yesterday seemed like a complete bust. 

In the meantime it's looking like another nice day ahead here. Even tomorrow's forecast is now looking much better than it was even yesterday, on the MetO app anyway. 

• Like 2

Posted

Was a complete bust in the end here too. Shame as it really did get stifling hot and the skies/clouds did look very promising but alas nothing. Still quite warm now but nothing compared to yesterday

Edited by NUT
  • Like 2

Posted

We got no donner und blitzen either, not even any rain.

Forecast high of 26C here this afternoon then a bit of a mixed bag at the weekend.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

We got no donner und blitzen either, not even any rain.

Forecast high of 26C here this afternoon then a bit of a mixed bag at the weekend.

Morning Hairy one!

It's that 'mixed bag' that worries me.   Looks as if will kill off tomorrow's merriment in the garden.   Oh well......it will just have to be internal merriment instead!

Very sultry feel to things here this morning. Temp currently sitting at 20.9c, overcast and calm.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Morning Hairy one!

It's that 'mixed bag' that worries me.   Looks as if will kill off tomorrow's merriment in the garden.   Oh well......it will just have to be internal merriment instead!

Very sultry feel to things here this morning. Temp currently sitting at 20.9c, overcast and calm.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

24C here, no wind and just a broken veil (is that a contradiction?) of highish cloud. Been a funny old week, more to come I reckon.

• Like 5

Posted

Warm and sunny here sitting on the garden after a cloudy start.  Strong sunshine.

• Like 6

Posted

25.3C here at 10:30am, not often that happens. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

In the end, no more than a few rumbles of thunder here. Today feels more pleasant - less humid - and already up to 23.6°C. Bit cloudier though and the last hurrah before the weekend. And as for next week...well, the forecast can always change! 

In other news, a new record overnight.

Met Office (@metoffice) Tweeted:

It only fell to 20.9°C at Achnagart last night, breaking the Scottish record for highest minimum temperature ?️https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1154680158105800704?s=17

Edited by Polar Gael
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Well yesterday was an odd day and yet another reminder that weather (mother nature) will do what it / she wants (or doesn't want to in this case) A few reason which possibly stopped storms developing yesterday that I can think of

1. Top reason because I have witnessed it so many times before is the dreaded easterly flow which is a notorious storm killer, although you would have thought it wouldn't have had an effect yesterday with the upper air being +20C  

chart showing the easterly flow coming in especially here, Dundee etc nmm_uk1-11-1-0.thumb.png.9d84a93374a2d4cb34064c2f8606f880.png 

2. Different positioning of the trough(s) than initially modelled, fax chart from 6pm yesterday PPVA89_18z_last.thumb.gif.2f62b44cb6b69895dbc97a6b4a831c37.gif and midnight PPVA89_00z_last.thumb.gif.4ad36c67e4aaf8b7b3265c33908e424b.gif looks like the main trough that looked like affecting us moved off the coast which makes me think that the other storms were caused by a convergence zones which looked like setting up toward Livingston, west fife etc when I looked at xc weather yesterday and possibly the ones further north / nw were the same or purely home grown storms.

3.Available energy and CIN, first point perhaps that supercell storm that tracked north towards us from the Pennines used up a lot of the available energy inhibiting other storms from developing, although Wednesday mornings storms were active and less energy was available then, which leads me on to CIN anim_bzv9.thumb.gif.7a0f27689639dd85cdece3287fe73396.gif quite high amounts roughly where I had my red zone and less so where the line of storms did develop yesterday and with the troughs not affecting the high CIN areas storms failed to develop (that is my theory anyway) and here is a comparison to Wednesday morning (if someone can find the fax chart for Wednesday midnight that would be great) anim_sht4.thumb.gif.ec56b3eedcd0881b7858f90d7fe346d2.gif again pretty high CIN levels here (I am pretty sure the fax chart would show the trough affecting here / moving towards here) which obviously gave the forcing required to initiate the storms and override the CIN.  CAPE comparison for yesterday and Wednesday morning anim_xqn3.thumb.gif.a134806b0c734011e2182a04198fbd72.gif anim_pwb6.thumb.gif.5fafaa25b0b6c01d2886574aee124d8d.gif anim_axz9.thumb.gif.28390c4032388042a4a07e10c1af9967.gif much higher amounts of energy yesterday compared with Wednesday morning but completely different outcomes.   

Perhaps we should be thankful nothing developed as what was indicated could have as tornado threats could have been a scary thing for some to deal with had things gone as forecasted.

Hopefully that summary helps with trying to understand what happened yesterday and although many of us were left disappointed it is another fascinating event / non event to try and learn what happened and compare with other similar setups, and again I am certainly no expert just giving my thoughts on what possibly lead to the way things panned out yesterday, if anyone else has anything to add please feel free 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

@Kirkcaldy Weather You keeping an eye on this?

North East/Eastern England reporting thunderstorms.

No doubt it will just be rain for Scotland.

76E1F671-5FC3-4CDA-97EE-75D62337C84B.thumb.png.87e7e0ce287e7c76918cb6a314ad6864.png

22c here today but not much sunshine! 

FDF20250-984E-4A50-905C-BC8723508A65.thumb.jpeg.3013a9134206e9ba19e58731bce6ac88.jpeg

Washout here tomorrow but warm rain at least. 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

Posted

@Mr Frost yes I am torturing myself again  hoping for some thunder / lightning maybe passing to my east @CatchMyDrift should be getting something soon whether it is thunder who knows after yesterday 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
6 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

@Mr Frost yes I am torturing myself again  hoping for some thunder / lightning maybe passing to my east @CatchMyDrift should be getting something soon whether it is thunder who knows after yesterday 

It’s got to be done! I would be exactly the same if it was heading this way! Even the slightest chance is worth a watch!

Best of luck to you and everyone else who is in with a chance.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 1

Posted

@Mr Frost think I have a better chance with my Thunderball ticket tonight 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

One of my kids just said they wish it would snow coz it's too hot.

• Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

One of my kids just said they wish it would snow coz it's too hot.

not long now :oldrofl: :santa-emoji: anim_yhg2.thumb.gif.955e1ca9dac42a667547873a2af27d0f.gif or get them on a flight to South Africa https://www.thesouthafrican.com/weathersa/snow-fall-in-south-africa-where-best-photos/

Edited by Kirkcaldy Weather
  • Like 4