Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
5 hours ago, bigsnow said:

I'm always on the poxy edge of things. we are looking to relocate to another part of Scotland. almost bagged a place in Leadhills but missed out. as you know i'm a snaw nut so advice welcome on the places to avoid as the last thing i want to do is move to a place where im gonna be left crying all winter. Basically i'm looking for areas that even in a poor winter i'm gonna see some snaw.

Aviemore!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
6 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Aviemore!

I've had the wife putting adverts on Gumtree for property to rent. Aviemore was one among many including Newtonmore Tomintoul Kingussie Biggar etc. basically nothing below 200m asl and if i can get to 300m asl i will, had enough of all that marginal crap all winter.❄️☃️

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Humid night ahead (currently 20c) 17/18c lowest it’s to go. 

Some nice crepuscular rays tonight.

D650ED83-ECED-4F39-8BD3-2D2A2FD3A648.thumb.jpeg.b77a1164ec1a5b7e85c39379e0a120fa.jpeg2FF38778-6CBE-4679-8B84-9EE7B42E1815.thumb.jpeg.70cfceeb66a1c30cb732c72e52ddb27d.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
1 hour ago, Mr Frost said:

Aviemore!

Too mainstream, the cool kids go for Dalwhinnie!

1 hour ago, bigsnow said:

I've had the wife putting adverts on Gumtree for property to rent. Aviemore was one among many including Newtonmore Tomintoul Kingussie Biggar etc. basically nothing below 200m asl and if i can get to 300m asl i will, had enough of all that marginal crap all winter.❄️☃️

I think the snowiest and coldest is probably Tomatin - also means you're only 15 minutes from Inverness so you can still get your stuffed vine leaves / merlot when times are tough. It's also above 300m asl.

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
7 hours ago, bigsnow said:

I'm always on the poxy edge of things. we are looking to relocate to another part of Scotland. almost bagged a place in Leadhills but missed out. as you know i'm a snaw nut so advice welcome on the places to avoid as the last thing i want to do is move to a place where im gonna be left crying all winter. Basically i'm looking for areas that even in a poor winter i'm gonna see some snaw.

You did say basic didn't you Big Snow?   Well, here's your 100% guarantee.    Unsure if the owners will sell though!:oldgrin:

https://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bothies/what-is-a-bothy/

Or.....you could buy one of those big fancy motorhomes and park somewhere in Glencoe for the winter.   You could wave to us all on the traffic cams!:oldlaugh:

• Like 4

Posted

Convective weather has gone for a moderate risk of storms tomorrow night over the west of Scotland(North of Glasgow)  

Slight risk for all of mainland  Britain which is good! 

https://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Scotland is beautiful even when it’s raining 

6CFB6907-96A2-416D-917B-C13A92699B75.thumb.jpeg.122f28d8c428e870c44a1aaae2022b33.jpeg

I am currently in Mallaig just now and it’s still raining but it’s starting to brighten up as the sun goes down.

Heading to Skye tomorrow afternoon, hopefully the rain will be away by the morning  

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Thursday / Friday also looking interesting with a second push of heat and potential storms, looking warmer than the first especially further east and I cant recall ever seeing the + 20 850 line reaching here! iconeu_uk1-16-78-0.thumb.png.e89338b51d721b3a2936bced46817a7b.png

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, howham said:

Just going to leave this here...Screenshot_20190722-203546_Facebook.thumb.jpg.f8ad4d09a2cd924a95c4014544ecbf96.jpg

Yes a lot of focus on tomorrow / Wednesday (quite rightly with potential for some big storms) but Thursday could be just as extreme / exciting, here is the July temperature records for Scotland 

Highest temp 32.8 2nd July 1908 Dumfries (Dumfries & Galloway)

Highest minimum temp 20.0 30th July 1948 Onich (Highland)

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-climate-extremes

I would think there is a fair chance of the highest minimum being at least equaled somewhere 

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Yes a lot of focus on tomorrow / Wednesday (quite rightly with potential for some big storms) but Thursday could be just as extreme / exciting, here is the July temperature records for Scotland 

Highest temp 32.8 2nd July 1908 Dumfries (Dumfries & Galloway)

Highest minimum temp 20.0 30th July 1948 Onich (Highland)

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-climate-extremes

I would think there is a fair chance of the highest minimum being at least equaled somewhere 

My brain is fried from it all - it’s like chasing/viewing snow charts in Winter! 

I have read/looked at about five different thunderstorm outlook/risk maps and they are all different! Some have us in the slight/moderate zone and others have the thunderstorms all fizzling out before they reach Scotland. 

Just seen Estofex and it does not look good for us. 

428FCCF6-C0AC-4404-BEA4-FDC34F31001C.thumb.png.6a49fbb25d83430ba36259b641683f9d.png

I am just going to go with the flow now plus stay up all night Tuesday through to about 5am on Wednesday depending on the radar - work will be fun that day!

Wish Winter would hurry up - it’s more relaxing staying up to watch for the first snowflakes drifting past the lamppost. ⛄

It is a hard life being a weather enthusiast.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 4

Posted

@Mr Frost a lot going on, just remember the estofex forecast will only be covering up until midnight Tuesday and from the charts I have looked at the first of the storms will probably be around the SW / West coast of Scotland at around 1am (Wednesday) pushing north east inland, I will have my forecast up tomorrow 

Hopefully there is this much excitement during the upcoming winter and who knows we might get thunder snow at some point if we are lucky.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

@Mr Frost a lot going on, just remember the estofex forecast will only be covering up until midnight Tuesday and from the charts I have looked at the first of the storms will probably be around the SW / West coast of Scotland at around 1am (Wednesday) pushing north east inland, I will have my forecast up tomorrow 

Hopefully there is this much excitement during the upcoming winter and who knows we might get thunder snow at some point if we are lucky.

That’s what I thought also but it’s from 06:00 Tuesday to 06:00 Wednesday.

Lots of chopping/changing to come though and I’m sure we will see something in the early hours of Wednesday! 

I look forward to reading your forecast tomorrow! 

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

That’s what I thought also but it’s from 06:00 Tuesday to 06:00 Wednesday.

Lots of chopping/changing to come though and I’m sure we will see something in the early hours of Wednesday! 

I look forward to reading your forecast tomorrow! 

On my phone so can't share lots of charts but have a look at the 18z ARPEGE and it brings the storms in after 1am (again don't take positions and intensity too literally) http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/arpege.php?map=330 so I wouldn't be too worried.

Off to bed now to try and sleep in this heat and to think it will be a good few degrees warmer tomorrow night and potentially noisy with thunder too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

29C at Blois as we passed through and it's just after 10am. Heading north now, stopping just north of Rouen to be within striking distance of Calais tomorrow. Hopefully it'll be a bit cooler than the 40C forecast for the Loire where we've just left. 

Wife and I still mulling over whether to ask for political asylum at the border rather than return to a country presided over by BJ (assuming he wins as expected). 

• Like 6

Posted

20c at 7.00am this morning so the fresh SW wind was lacking the windchill effect . Currently 23c

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning all,

Some fair weather cloud around but starting to slowly melt away.   Temp currently 21.5c

Not getting hooked on the Saturday forecast just yet!:unknw:

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 3

Posted

Melting away cloud lovely and comfortable at the moment can't believe all hell breaking loose tonight you would not think it 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

37\38C on motorhome temp gauge, between Dreux.& Rouen. 

• Like 4

Posted

Potential dream scenario at the moment - warm and sunny, thunderstorms and then back to warm and sunny!  Hoping that a) the storms make it here and b) they're still electrified by that point!

• Like 4

Posted

Here is my storm forecast for overnight / tomorrow morning image.thumb.png.b45b7a5296eb2101b2c2af9b25d76ecb.png  timings, Red zone 7am- 11am , Orange zone 2am - 8am. Details - Orange zone, Only reason this is not also a red zone is some uncertainty within the short range models on initiation and intensity of storms in this area however this area looks more favourable for possible tornadic activity alongside frequent lightning and heavy rain (possibly some hail), dangers in this zone - possible tornadoes, lightning which could cause power outages and heavy rain in a short space of time giving the chance of flooding. Red zone - most likely area for intense storm development possibly merging into an MCS, dangers in this zone - frequent lightning which could cause power outages and intense rainfall with a 65-80% chance of flooding.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Advice please guys and girls anybody got info on a village called Charleston Village in Forfar? Not for storms but for a place to live.

Edited by bigsnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Hopefully get some juicy storms tonight, i’m nightshift so will try and remember to update about 1/2am when they hit down here.

V interested to see if London does it on Thursday. 

From a Scotland perspective, I don’t think we’re beating 32.8. 

I’m surprised at how ‘low’ the highest min is but possibly not going to quite make that one either

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Here is my storm forecast for overnight / tomorrow morning image.thumb.png.b45b7a5296eb2101b2c2af9b25d76ecb.png  timings, Red zone 7am- 11am , Orange zone 2am - 8am. Details - Orange zone, Only reason this is not also a red zone is some uncertainty within the short range models on initiation and intensity of storms in this area however this area looks more favourable for possible tornadic activity alongside frequent lightning and heavy rain (possibly some hail), dangers in this zone - possible tornadoes, lightning which could cause power outages and heavy rain in a short space of time giving the chance of flooding. Red zone - most likely area for intense storm development possibly merging into an MCS, dangers in this zone - frequent lightning which could cause power outages and intense rainfall with a 65-80% chance of flooding.

I love you KW 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Hit 28.4°C here today, roasty toasty! Currently 27°C

• Like 4