Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Been rumbling on and off here for hours now. Had some heavy rain earlier, followed by a flash and massive clap of thunder that was pretty darn close. Everything then stopped suddenly again and went very misty. Another flash in the distance just now cut the electricity for a few seconds again. I've lost count of how many times that is now, but must have at least reached double figures. 

• Like 2

Posted

Massive flash and loud booming thunder about 20 mins ago but I think that's it for the night now.  I enjoyed today though for the earlier warmth and the electrical ending.

• Like 3

Posted

Just back online after an hour or so of very close forked lightning and clashes of thunder some overhead.Have been losing power periodically. Doing some undercover cleaning this afternoon and as one who hates hot  humid weather my shirt was drenched in sweat .Came in early evening to get cold shower lay down on bed with fan going only to be woken by overhead thunder. Really spooked our own cattle and our neighbours who went racing  round their fields. My old hayfever came back this evening too with yellow clouds over the grass fields this afternoon,a cooler  fresher  day tomorrow will be very welcome.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

I won’t forget today in a hurry - it has been incredible!

From thunderstorms to sunset - our Scotland is a magical place! 

C3BA1CA3-192B-4555-839C-FC7124BB216A.thumb.jpeg.ca8c761fcbdfc3892ed9adf89c6ac0b2.jpeg

E904C68B-F534-40EA-A535-F9039C6A747A.thumb.jpeg.f59359613e76bea96bcb7ccdcb397650.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
8 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

One distant rumble of thunder here and that's been it. Big let down with all the family calling me useless. Again.

We have all been there mate.

I promised most of my family snow heaven during last Winter and was made to look a right clueless muppet! 

@Huntforsnow I would not wait up - it’s all gone to - moving Northwest of us and what does arrive does not look exciting currently. (You just never know though - might get the odd flash or rumble but most likely a heavy shower!

23:15 screenshot below.

23AA6311-8E14-4A99-A720-1EE6AFD2CB9A.thumb.png.dab8cff2927d71c26817285fb18bb891.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and Thunderstorms

@Mr Frost

Crazy foggy here now! It's eery.

Stunning pictures from the sunset, it was beautiful. 

• Like 3

Posted

Now that was a proper summer's day, more of the same please 

Morning very hot and humid with plenty of hazy sunshine and a max temperature of 27c.

Progressively cloudy in the afternoon and a slight drop in temperature to 25c (drop to 25c, hah, how often can you say that in Scotland!) - dry though and perfect weather for the family barbecue.

And right on time with everyone fed and watered the evening entertainment arrives in the form of thunderstorms off and on for 5 hours or so, finishing around 10pm.  Temperature down to 16c but still feeling muggy outside.

Seen more active storms in terms of lightning and rain intensity but the sheer longevity of this episode is memorable - and we did get one house shaking strike (hit around a mile from the house) which managed to scare the kids under the table and knock the power our for a few minutes.

Alas a lot of low level cloud so no real chance to see any high level structure in the storms - however the arrival of the first storms around 5pm was preceded by some quite beautiful wave structures in the clouds.  Leave it to the experts to explain what they represent.  Also managed to get a partial shot of one of the lightning bolts...

Snag_38753f.thumb.png.327ec4d8a9d8a24a3eed52ff8aa79b9d.png

Snag_34eab1.thumb.png.b63e5579e24b03f35f3562f3b0732c41.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
59 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

One distant rumble of thunder here and that's been it. Big let down with all the family calling me useless. Again.

Hopefully during the next thunderstorm chance that you get the best ones  

45 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

We have all been there mate.

I promised most of my family snow heaven during last Winter and was made to look a right clueless muppet! 

On 28/06/2019 at 14:23, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Forecast from me for tomorrow 

397347365_stormmap.thumb.png.01db908aeaed5241efd7d3d45f2dce8d.pngYellow = small risk 30-35 % of elevated thunderstorms 1pm - 4pm, Red = medium chance 50-60% of strong elevated storms (and or surfaced based storms, possible MCS) 7pm - 1am 

A front moving in from the west will engage with the MUCAPE although CIN levels are quite high in some areas which is why I have given a small risk for the yellow zone, however as the front moves further east high levels of both SBCAPE and MUCAPE will develop (again also high CIN values) but models indicate the CIN will be overcome and strong storms will develop in the red zone, I would expect hail, gusty winds and frequent lightning in these areas, I am unsure about tornado risks hopefully one of the more in depth storm forecasters will mention the chances of that in their forecasts.

Interesting to note for similar future setups that it was the opposite way around in the end with the earlier storms which the models were not keen to develop that ended up being the strongest whereas the evening storms which were modeled to be the most severe ended up not coming to fruition, perhaps it was the timing of the cold front or the amount of CIN later in the day and also areas further west and north which were modeled to have next to nothing joined in on the action, as far as timings and areas goes I think it was not a bad attempt at a forecast area (yellow zone) but the red zone being a bust overall. Certainly the most thundery action from one spell here that I can remember with 5 storms (2 on Monday and 3 today)  and 2 rounds of bad flooding,only slight criticism would be the lack of structure on show but hopefully the next thunderstorm chance will deliver on that front, potentially drier weather over the next few weeks will certainly be welcome.

Tomorrow could see some more "standard" thundery showers across the country courtesy of some fronts moving down from the NW.

• Like 2

Posted
8 hours ago, Quinach said:

Alas a lot of low level cloud so no real chance to see any high level structure in the storms - however the arrival of the first storms around 5pm was preceded by some quite beautiful wave structures in the clouds. 

We saw the same structure as the first storm arrived, quite unusual. As you said, not easy so see much else, even the lightning bolts were mainly obscured. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I enjoyed the nice 25c breezy bit, not so much the humid grey misty horrible bit. Too draining.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Went to bed early last night - exhausted by a hard day watching the radar - but was kept awake by flashes and rumbles till quite late.  The showers seemed pretty heavy and relentless too.

• Like 5

Posted

Lots of showers around today more rain today so far than yesterday despite all the lightning

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, Norrance said:

Between storms above Loch Tay from Kenmore photography. Interesting cloud formations.

ECB3023A-C582-4AB4-A499-37C2AC1B20E7.jpeg

Slight re-touching perhaps (not that I ever do anything like that) but a stunning image all the same!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

One of the cg strikes from yesterday Screenshot_20190630-141920.thumb.jpg.558be916ca4ab5d7a7aea515568954e7.jpg and attempts at structure, like others have said definitely some banding on the storm so possibly an elevated supercell? IMG_20190629_171002.thumb.jpg.0fcea2bf454525e0014c4c2ecf28fa42.jpgIMG_20190629_171120.thumb.jpg.ab542e27882d83c1cf9460d0cf5412c8.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Some dramatic looking skies yesterday, I tried to capture some lightning with my digital camera but I forgot to take my tripod so it wasn't easy plus the rain was really intense.

IMG_5678-2.thumb.jpg.45c3265c4c070af87f690ac5c0b549e2.jpg

IMG_5680.thumb.jpg.366d1c532b91bde47516b0f412498725.jpg

IMG_5674-2.thumb.jpg.de859fdac1013a299f8b8188fefdd28d.jpg

I never took much video but here is a wee clip of some thunder

I am so happy the storms arrived on the weekend otherwise I would have been working and missed them

What a great day, hopefully more to come over the next couple of months  

• Like 8

Posted

Well dramatic stuff for many of us yesterday. I would agree with Ravelin, whilst there was much thunder, rain, hail & lightning depending on where you were,  I actually only saw the occasional flash yet thunder at times was almost constant. Probably due to elevation of the clouds plus the lightning mainly being obscured by them. Yet I've seen plenty of shots online today of visible CG lightning taken by others in the NE & elsewhere - just unlucky I guess!  

There was even some talk of system rotation - there is an image here (in the Storms/Convection thread) suggesting a hook echo as the system moved through the area but don't know if that was confirmed or not; also the precip forming some sort of 'bow echo'  as it approached the east coast but again, unverified. There was an interesting comment that despite all the red on rain radar, not everyone was deluged as again due elevation, not all the rain was making it to the ground. 

Today much fresher, sun & variable amounts of cloud, no showers yet but bla'ing a hooly!!

Hope everyone got what they wanted from yesterday and for those that missed out it may be your turn next time - and there will be a next time.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Some of the pics and stories of these storms look and sound amazing. Hope those that experienced them enjoyed.

Amazingly this part of Glasgow was almost entirely untouched whilst the storms moved either side of us. There was some brief moderate rain, and a few cracks of thunder - one quite loud which might have been connected to the lightning by the M77 that was referred to - but that was basically it. The angle that the lines of storms moved at meant that we were in th dry zone whilst 10-15 miles either side would have been a different story.

Interested to hear from anyone with knowledge/info on why the storms moved in such a way.

• Like 5

Posted

Return to normal weather today.

Dry with plenty of sunshine.  In theory the max temperature was 21c but the strong gusty SW wind that has been here all day made it feel a lot cooler than that - pleasant enough though when the sun was out.

Lovely shade of blue in the sky today...

IMG_20190630_123723367.thumb.jpg.372acabb64e639d4db1e29cbb0c82de4.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

A lot cooler than the last few days, but a bit like yesterday in that there's much less cloud than forecast. Quite a strong breeze coming from a northerly direction, especially so in the gusts. Still pleasant enough, especially in the sun and out of the wind. 

• Like 3

Posted

What I call Orkney weather here today cool and breezy from the NW with quite a bit of cloud and odd passing light showers. However its mostly dry and the ground surface is drying up.Currently 14c. Fine weather for working outside

• Like 3

Posted

Absolute bliss outside. A breeze with a few fair weather clouds and warm sun but nowhere near like it was last week. Absolutely perfect temperatures

• Like 3