Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Same here. Utter pits.

• Like 1

Posted

Pretty heavy shower rolling through at the moment (has been a bit of a dire day to be fair)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
2 hours ago, NUT said:

Pretty heavy shower rolling through at the moment (has been a bit of a dire day to be fair)

Pretty much the same here, just the odd wee spattering a couple of times. I actually quite like days like this as long as there's a bit of sunshine - far better that calm dreich or hot wetness.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

chance of some thundery showers tomorrow with 1-200 + CAPE sounding8_curr.1400lst_d2.thumb.png.02ee86e6cc06de97bab299d3b1d36f00.png sounding8_curr.1700lst_d2.thumb.png.267339010f5b409ed8a2428e8051dd41.png  anim_rio3.thumb.gif.9920775a4f9cfa7faf8c7c33b86afcc7.gif ?️ 

• Like 2

Posted

Ciel I'm started to regret not moving to France years ago!! This bl**dy country and it's bl**dy weather are doing my head in!!
Although we have a lovely sunny morning here up my hill - but apparently not to last. Funny how rain stays for days and sun is always accidental. I take it God isn't SNP.

• Like 4

Posted

It's a nice enough start.....................but more rain incoming at one point today

• Like 3

Posted

So far its a carbon copy of yesterday - in other words dry with periodic breaks in the cloud to allow some warm sunshine, lifting the temperature to 18c. 

Unlike yesterday, the wind is light - no more damaging gusts of wind thankfully.

They really should do something with the Met Office temperature forecasts - consistently wrong for here, today being no exception with the current 18c versus the forecast 14c.  They always seem to underestimate the temperature.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

After a week of heavy rain on and off this Metoffice outlook is music to my ears! Please let it come true! 

538D7C7A-6946-4669-BBB2-3187FE8F1D96.thumb.png.626f4cd243e22276dcd5da04ea270fae.png

B9D511DC-93D9-480E-8F85-23C57050062B.thumb.png.19d86b4d1f61b1e5a06d2ca60c979647.png

In the meantime not a bad day here so far...heavy rain moving in shortly though for the rest of today/most of tomorrow. 

• Like 4

Posted

Some heavy showers now popping up all around so sunshine gone but temperatures still warm - 18c.

Local House Martins are not having a good time.  Just saw a Magpie land on a new nest and start to tear it apart - impressive agility and amazed at how the nest was able to stand the weight of the Magpie but same time wish they would stick to eating seeds....  I can easily see why the local gentry consider them a pest and merrily shot them all year.

• Like 3

Posted

Took a while but the rain has set in really does look wet for a good part of the night

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Bucketing down now in the south side of Glasgow

• Like 2

Posted

Managed to sow about half the neeps today.Ground very sticky and metering wheels have to scraped clear of mud every round.Other half of field has too many wet patches that tractors are sinking in so will have to be left for  a while longer to dry out.

My agronomist told me today that he feels like he is working for the Samaritans with every farmer he visits in this area complaining about  ground  too wet  for silage machines and spring barley going yellow even on known dry areas.Said to him I think thats the legacy of ploughing bone dry ground last autumn which turned to talcum powder in the spring and then slumped after the wet spell. so all the soil structure has gone and can no longer support the barley roots.Whole fields are turning yellow now..

The best we can hope for is not too much rain tomorrow so we can work at  the neep ground on Friday which is supposed to be dry here. Currently overcast ,13c  and with an east wind

• Like 5

Posted

Today was one of the ‘better’ recent days here, if not warm/hottish (in terms of a Scottish summer), at least the laundry dried outside.:oldrolleyes:

However, the sky is filling in now and rain is imminent.

I would love a period of clear skies to scan for noctilucents.

rain.thumb.jpg.9622a0d61a95cad9d4c2a515b69d0eb5.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
16 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Managed to sow about half the neeps today.Ground very sticky and metering wheels have to scraped clear of mud every round.Other half of field has too many wet patches that tractors are sinking in so will have to be left for  a while longer to dry out.

My agronomist told me today that he feels like he is working for the Samaritans with every farmer he visits in this area complaining about  ground  too wet  for silage machines and spring barley going yellow even on known dry areas.Said to him I think thats the legacy of ploughing bone dry ground last autumn which turned to talcum powder in the spring and then slumped after the wet spell. so all the soil structure has gone and can no longer support the barley roots.Whole fields are turning yellow now..

The best we can hope for is not too much rain tomorrow so we can work at  the neep ground on Friday which is supposed to be dry here. Currently overcast ,13c  and with an east wind

Very wet again.

Not to be too negative the fact that our crop was  luckily sprayed a day before this wet spell started for weeds and trace elements (Mn Mg and Cu) means it is retaining a good strong green colour compared to our neighbours.

So not all bad.Currently 9c

• Like 5

Posted

It’s a continuation of the dank grey cold weather today and the short-term prospects don’t bode well either.

Apart from having a negative effect on mood (for me anyway), the lack of bright sunlight has impacted the early summer flowering garden plants. For example, the perennial poppy buds are struggling to open, in fact some are beginning to decompose, and the foxgloves only have one or two flowers near the base of the stem while those buds further up are tightly closed and don’t look like blooming anytime soon. The nepeta also, which usually in June is buzzing with bees and other insects is having a half-hearted lifeless attempt to flower.

• Like 3

Posted

My thoughts for a warmer / thundery spell in 2-3 weeks time may have been premature, thought I would take a look at MJO / ENSO and where that could see us headed, although the MJO was not entirely useful during winter with the more blocked phases not coming to fruition and in the Netweather summer forecast the mention that MJO is less impactful for us during summer here is my assessment of where we are and may be heading.

current MJO forecast diagram_40days_forecast_GEFS_member.thumb.gif.bdc578fb6408b478f6bc19341922dcf5.gif  CFSO_phase_small.thumb.gif.ba94ece958e4b09b458acc72e661f575.gif ECMF_phase_MANOM_51m_small.thumb.gif.f76ad4e9206773b52a2c518d09219539.gif EMON_phase_MANOM_51m_small.thumb.gif.5c18a352409adfb0854cc2f6101d80e9.gif currently we are in phase 3 having just exited phase 2, some charts for phase 2 ( lag effects) JunePhase2all500mb.thumb.gif.bef6a630c081aa12566cd944d5e56b60.gif https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/31d9e0_32594828e48d18aa94d6c4b8b63b1f6e.pdf  we are currently have a weak el nino and here is phase 2 el nino June nino_2_giu_mid.thumb.png.707eec73cb161407b01767b5d81cbbc6.png and with it being weak could be worth including the (nada) charts which mean weak or no signal  nada_2_giu_mid.thumb.png.bf93748f1606fa4e9045cd1f0b178f7a.png and here is phase 3  JunePhase3all500mb.thumb.gif.ad4468704da9b6b8deb9d7a69edfa9b2.gif https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/31d9e0_1bf4d88338b094972c3d699d46516208.pdf  nino_3_giu_mid.thumb.png.141b4c968cce00d8e2332bd9bb35051e.png  with all pointing toward a continuation of low pressure over or close to the UK and northern blocking :oldrolleyes:  nada 3 signals higher pressure over the UK which some recent model runs have been trying to achieve so a possible glimmer of hope nada_3_giu_low.thumb.png.d8c1d8cebc335637240ab32492d0a432.png  gfs-0-222.thumb.png.3fb15b02b2bfcd24144cd0e101e16ec7.png  so what next? well current MJO forecast have the signal weakening (heading into COD) although some hints at possible phase 4 / 5, here is phase 4 for June https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/31d9e0_b438a5126b4cf5a32f67041512156dad.pdf  JunePhase4all500mb.thumb.gif.43c4195a99356822d8737ec51fbae103.gif this is the pattern I would hope to achieve with higher pressure to the east and a low out west drawing up warmer and possible thundery conditions > nino_4_giu_mid.thumb.png.401c48b0cb59a4b96374ed271677ee2f.png  and (nada) phase 4 also suggesting higher pressure over / or close to the UK nada_4_giu_mid.thumb.png.a81a7305c2c0d3a426963a7c98e02856.png so that could signal a chance of something drier and possibly warmer for a time, however phase 5 does not paint a pretty picture https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/31d9e0_dc8ab3d428301ce27fdc8058c7edba5f.pdf  JunePhase5all500mb.thumb.gif.a1f6ced92b7b960cf5084983352d8f96.gif nino_5_giu_low.thumb.png.d6439b0b5373cc4674e0935873126729.png  with a strong signal for low pressure over and close to the UK with the only glimmer of hope being the (nada) phase 5 1650800843_nada_5_giu_low(1).thumb.png.36832b31c37e83d9dde510d48f19ec86.png with higher pressure although still some lower pressure down towards the S / SW. So overall IF the MJO is more accurate now than what it was during winter it looks like lower pressure over / close to the UK continuing with higher pressure trying to build in at times, looks like IF we end up with a phase 4 during June that could be our best bet at achieving some "summer" conditions with possible thundery spells too before lower pressure begins to take control once again. A "flip flop" month but not much actual use of nn2982_1_large.thumb.jpg.1816dda2a9f5e67e36278274bec719d4.jpg     

Edited by Kirkcaldy Weather
  • Like 4

Posted

Looks like a small band of rain (not like last night's) about to hit us but should be quiet for the rest of the day when that pushes through

• Like 2

Posted

Might be a small band of rain but it's packing a punch. Pouring down at the moment

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Yesterday morning and early afternoon were ok but since then it's been non-stop rain in Aberdeenshire, either thick wetting fine stuff or torrential bursts of splattery blobbings.  Also it's cold and everyone is grumbling about the weather. I should have emigrated years ago when I had the chance, nothing is going well in the lemon heap of a country these days.

Roll on summer! Oh...

• Like 7

Posted

Thoroughly miserable day of incessant rain, as Hairy Celt mentioned ranging from drenching drizzle to full on torrential rain (latter mainly in the morning).

Max temperature of 10.8c but on a positive note the winds were light  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
9 hours ago, ciel said:

It’s a continuation of the dank grey cold weather today and the short-term prospects don’t bode well either.

Apart from having a negative effect on mood (for me anyway), the lack of bright sunlight has impacted the early summer flowering garden plants. For example, the perennial poppy buds are struggling to open, in fact some are beginning to decompose, and the foxgloves only have one or two flowers near the base of the stem while those buds further up are tightly closed and don’t look like blooming anytime soon. The nepeta also, which usually in June is buzzing with bees and other insects is having a half-hearted lifeless attempt to flower.

Having to keep feeding our bees as the weather has been far too cold and wet for them to be able to forage much. That is very unusual for this time of the year. Still seeing bumbles around at times as they pretty much fly in any weather, but little else in the way of butterflies or hoverflies this year so far. 

Not stopping the honey bees swarming though! A spot of sunshine and... bam... out they go. Three swarms so far from our hives, at least two from the same hive on different days (it was a big colony). Gone from 3 hives to 7 in the space of about 3 weeks (3 originally + 3 swarms caught + 1 small split). Keeping bees at this time of the year is like a second job. Problem is, with the weather they are storing very little honey, so return for that effort is not looking good. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Apparently Storm Miguel is coming from Spain? Me no gusto!

• Like 2

Posted

What storm? Where? O gawd sake can it get any worse?

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, mardatha said:

What storm? Where? O gawd sake can it get any worse?

Miguel 33-515UK.thumb.gif.84d026c3eb4b063294d5d7fed73d899f.gif looks like England and Wales will get the worst of it and some thunderstorms down that way on its southern side too meanwhile when it arrives up here we will have to endure yet more rain and us east coasters will get the added bonus of a cool NE wind :oldrolleyes: 20190606.1608.PPVE89.png 20190606.1639.PPVG89.png 20190606.1639.PPVI89.png  and as for the question can it get any worse? well I am already on the hunt for snowy winter charts, not long til December .... or February  :crazy: :santa-emoji: cfs-0-4674.thumb.png.6d1529a283067a94f5cff5fb8b2000e4.png  cfs-0-5814.thumb.png.a0a06fe04027e326227a9f5c59a695c8.png cfs-0-6420.thumb.png.ddbdb63eca16cf47b5e128922426878f.png 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1