A week from now:

0805gfs2.thumb.jpg.8139531d8983566162fd0ac7db97213b.jpg

Cant wait 🤞

Why warmer here than England? 

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Huntforsnow said:

Cant wait 🤞

Why warmer here than England? 

High pressure moving to the East and light winds from the South / South East means sheltered North Western parts of the UK will do well. Warm air coming North on the West side of the high Quite common in late Spring with May often bringing the best weather to parts of the North West and the Western Isles.   A little bit of Foehn effect as well for areas to the West or North of any hills. If the winds are more SSW to SW then the warmest parts may move round to the Moray Firth or inland Aberdeenshire.

Edited by Norrance

Posted (edited)

Actually this last week has felt  normal just like an old fashioned spring and in a previous year of extreme dry weather is  also a bit reassuring. Have often put out cattle in late April to be followed  by a few days of snow showers. In fact this switching  between winter and spring can carry on into June. Have often been frozen in the old tractor sowing neeps in the last week of May. Only a bit of light rain today but cool.Spring barley showing signs of cold stress and drought. Will probably give it a copper/magnesium trace element spray in the next week to help it  along as its too cold for the plant to take up these elements from the soil. A true  fresh NE wind this evening, very cool at 6c. A real spring synoptic

Edited by Northernlights

Posted (edited)

The rain just hasn’t stopped here for 27 / 28 hours. Still steady now but a little bit lighter this evening. 33mms so far today plus a few mms yesterday evening means this is by far the wettest spell this year.  A max of 6.4C is also pretty cold for this location in May, not helped by the fresh to strong Easterly wind.

Edited by Norrance

GFS18 is seriously downgrading the airmass temperatures for the beginning of next week. I mentioned this could happen a few days ago. 

It will feel warm after this week's weather, but I wouldn't expect high temperatures to be reached like in April. 

Around 16/17C highs near the east coast, warmer to the west with 18-20C.

South-eastern winds are likely to develop within the area of high pressure, making it feel cooler in the east as a consequence

Another downgrade, some coastal areas getting highs of just 7C. 

Edinburgh maximum is about 13 on Monday, dropping to around 10 tops in the next days. Cold eastern winds with low clouds at times too

156-778UK.gif

15 minutes ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

Another downgrade, some coastal areas getting highs of just 7C. 

Edinburgh maximum is about 13 on Monday, dropping to around 10 tops in the next days. Cold eastern winds with low clouds at times too

156-778UK.gif

It's a big stand-off now:

0905ukmo.thumb.jpg.938b85a212ceee181a07689db7c42d0d.jpg0905ecm.thumb.jpg.d4d69bf7cde603964f46e5c953b5b330.jpg0905gfs.thumb.jpg.d30c70552ac07e7bd8e0e612db3533d5.jpg

Classic example of small changes to a set-up causing big differences in outcome. GFS is a stinker especially for the east. ECM and UKMO would be 10C warmer in places plus sunny instead of cloudy/drizzle/haar for many.

Looks great in the West at least. (Usual for May)

Although not as hot as previously suggested...I will take 17 degrees for a few days. (30 degrees in June and July would be nice)

2F868201-3E13-4211-A472-F147DEDC02AF.thumb.png.e275576945210ec324e9f48778198fb6.png

7F6AED35-D299-444F-BD01-767AE3E28C3F.thumb.png.f26bc0b08defcf5929caaabf75fb4414.png

Hottest areas in Scotland looks like Aviemore, Kinloss and the usual areas in this setup. 

Oh for goddsake that's IT.

Emigrating.

Leaving.

OFFSKI.

Posted (edited)

The sun is out and the 10C barrier has just been broken for the first time in a few days. A further 10 mms of rain fell overnight giving a total of 48 mms from the recent depression though the ground is drying very quickly now.

edit.oops. Misread my rain gauge. Was just 1 mm after midnight so a total of 39 mms fell.

Edited by Norrance

Cold  sunny start to the day at 1c with a ground frost. Hills all round the Firth had snow down to 1500feet this morning and its still lying above 2500feet this afternoon.

Ben Wyvis with a May coat.002.thumb.JPG.670f64473490aca004796eb32a7468a1.JPG

Hills in the distance to the north this morning.003.thumb.JPG.470321c6c5f644a3fd22a8faea845cbf.JPG006.thumb.JPG.b48d22e677d379a8735408f97a0a2cf8.JPG

Mountains to the west over the oilseed rape have a coat too.004.thumb.JPG.6ae1d31fe55e83a07f33a07e4ae8f5d9.JPG

Almost spring-like mid afternoon. Same double figure barrier broken at 10.4°C and calm.conditions. Grass needing its first haircut I am conceding to the other half....

Posted (edited)

Fantastic arctic sunset with very clear skies and superb visibility to the horizon. But oh boy is it cold , already 4.5c. Can"t believe I was cutting domestic grasses in the late afternoon. It looks like spring but feels like winter.Thankfully it is calm.

A few photos of sunset to the north 011.thumb.JPG.ee82a6ee55fecff662545fbb16845f47.JPG008.thumb.JPG.80373d7c436a17a013ba0d4b0fd51a23.JPGand possibly the last wintry shower of the season heading towards us from the NE across the Firth007.thumb.JPG.826af50b80bdfdd603c5b046a22bd0d9.JPG009.thumb.JPG.70be10f3d2da5781264fe323bf8f2f66.JPG

Edited by Northernlights
Add Photos

1 hour ago, shuggee said:

Almost spring-like mid afternoon. Same double figure barrier broken at 10.4°C and calm.conditions. Grass needing it's first haircut I am conceding to the other half....

It's been cold in the breeze all day here although I did have to strip my top half to just a t-shirt while cutting the grass. I've now lost count of the number of times our grass has been cut, it is growing like crazy this year. I think I've cut it more often this year than all of last year. Looks fantastic though. 

Had to have a go at the second grass cut of the year after I got home from work. Even with the ride on I'd to give up after doing the top half of the garden as I was emptying the collection basket every 2-3mins. Of course the mower was also getting clogged so it took ages. I'll do the rest of the grass tomorrow afternoon, but it shows that despite the cool/cold weather the grass has been growing like crazy. Need to strim too, so gonna be busy. 

Looks like a day of heavy showers tomorrow and possibly Saturday too with some troughs moving across the country 20190509.2158.PPVE89.png  20190509.1650.PPVG89.png  20190509.1650.PPVI89.png still some cool air in the mix so a chance of some hail in the showers, CAPE values dont look particularly high so nothing of the severe variety likely but showers likely to be slow moving with light winds so could be quite a bit of rain wherever catches them, then high pressure starts to build from Sunday although not looking as warm as it once did, hopefully us east coasters dont end up being plagued with a E / SE flow. 20190509.1708.PPVK89.png  20190509.0550.PPVL89.png  20190509.2118.PPVM89.png  20190509.2118.PPVO89.png anim_exc8.gif  anim_yze6.gif  anim_eah1.gif

Howdy everyone 🤠 some interesting weather here tonight, its currently 1:30 in the morning and over, workplace been evacuated due to tornado, flood and thunderstorm warnings. The last 2 hours 3 inches of rain has fell, a tornado track was spotted 5 mile south of my appartment, on occasions there have been more lightning strikes per second than you could count, its insane and I'm loving it lol

Screenshot_20190510-003849.jpg

Screenshot_20190510-002906.jpg

Screenshot_20190504-051432.jpg

gphoneym I've just crawled out of bed and the brain cell is still in there. I was boggling a wee bit there at tornadoes in Methil...

40 minutes ago, mardatha said:

gphoneym I've just crawled out of bed and the brain cell is still in there. I was boggling a wee bit there at tornadoes in Methil...

Sorry mardatha I shud have mentioned I'm still in Beaumont texas 🌪️🌩️🤣

Just posted this photo from Kenmore photography in the mountain thread. Shows the recent cold with more new snow in the Lawers range but also how dry it has been. Loch Tay is very low for this time of year.

A0706B54-F19D-4012-AD06-90331C13DB9A.jpeg

Posted (edited)

What a classic Scottish day in Edinburgh today. Blue sky on one side and dark menacing clouds on the other. Strong sun and cold winds. 

The cold weather is almost over, feeling milder tomorrow and then especially on Monday-Wednesday. Temperatures are likely to take another dip towards the end of next week, but at the moment it looks like it could stay dry as high pressure moves to the north of us. Very wet down in southern England as a low slides into France from the west. Hopefully the low stays "low" and misses us (most likely scenario at the moment). Too early for details at the moment, but eastern currents could pick up next weekend as the low pressure pulls in cooler air from the east, with mist and low clouds likely. 

Edited by edinburgh_1992

Been threatening all day but finally the showers have burst into life

1 hour ago, NUT said:

Been threatening all day but finally the showers have burst into life

But didn't last too long and the sun stayed out throughout

Warmest day for over a week with a max of 14c (pah to the Met office prediction of 10c...) accompanied by light winds and variable cloud.

Rapidly downhill from 5pm though with heavy persistent rain until around 8pm - thereafter drizzly rain on and off and 4c outside just now.