Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
shuggee

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

The radar showing showers turning wintry now. 

Screenshot_20190503-082029.thumb.jpg.7c82f004b20e7cc7483bc9ad1b8b411b.jpg

True northerly this morning at 3c  with snowy looking showers on the hills across the Firth. Feels very very cold when you are out in it

Where did Spring go? Got a friend heading to Wick later this morning, what's it like Pitlochery north?

13 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

Where did Spring go? Got a friend heading to Wick later this morning, what's it like Pitlochery north?

Think it should be fine with just coastal and hill  wintry showers.If all main routes are like the A96 yesterday at midday (must have had lots of advanced warning) yesterday they will have been pre salted.  Going up A9 to Dornoch for retirement celebration this evening .Fortunately because of being busy on farm still have winter tyres on but they will come off next week.

Posted (edited)

Some will be waking to snow cover come Saturday Morning.. With full winter conditions over the Mountains and high ground.

Screenshot_20190503-114421.thumb.jpg.83312b9a76adde19ffa1bb3ca01c20cf.jpgScreenshot_20190503-114748.thumb.jpg.59fa7e8c6681e2c4d7b919839e0261c0.jpgScreenshot_20190503-114920.thumb.jpg.f7b2d669a7d825e19281e5b1d8e78273.jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime

After a cloudy start with one or two light showers the sun has now come out. Still feeling cold in the NW breeze though with a current temp of 6.5C

Heavy shower of hail a few minutes ago temporarily whitened the ground. Lot of snow on some of the hills immediately to my north in Sutherland but not much on Ben Wyvis to the North West.

Some lying snow on Cairngorm, with more showers incoming.

PtarmiganStation-full.jpg

Sharp sleet shower in Edinburgh too an hour ago. Sunny now and feeling quite warm in the sun, but cold when the wind blows. 9C. 

Hail showers today getting more intense as the day goes on - you would not have wanted to be out in the last one, hailstones maybe 10 to 15mm diameter and lots of them. Nasty nasty.

small hail shower passing over here just now IMG_1174.thumb.JPG.706201bb27424672c9a68526da460f0c.JPGIMG_1175.thumb.JPG.7736a9cfe96f310451ac561856a9956e.JPG

Pishing it down with soft hail in Edinburgh just now as I wait on my bus! If I hear one more person on their phone telling folks "It's snowing" I might start swinging 😂🤣😂🤣

6 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Pishing it down with soft hail in Edinburgh just now as I wait on my bus! If I hear one more person on their phone telling folks "It's snowing" I might start swinging 😂🤣😂🤣

simple reply for them 😂 naw-it-isnae-5b4670.jpg 

a few pics from the back edge of that shower here

IMG_1176.thumb.JPG.da38439eb29fcda112c2320b96ce617e.JPG IMG_1178.thumb.JPG.eb5f069c00fe974e62731c4c46a51837.JPG

10 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Well we now have a 'wintry mix' including SNAW but mainly sleet, hail and rain.  Enough to keep sensible folk indoors. Ms HC has gone out.

Posted (edited)

Fairly cold and strangely large hail here right now for UK and in May bit mental. 

Edited by Kayemill

Plenty of Wintry showers packing in now in the North.

Screenshot_20190503-195759.thumb.jpg.77dfd1630902648ccd99591f97659813.jpg

Posted (edited)

Glorious stuff up in Aviemore/Cairngorms currently.

F6E0E35B-9465-405A-BB37-159438375799.thumb.png.749493bb71637845bda71ce0f01a7b9e.png

6FA55789-6EA5-4150-9015-B6456A792763.thumb.png.7280bafa01773eae829d8e0963b345a2.png

I was walking about Loch Morlich and Cairngorm mountain in shorts and t-shirt on the 27th February! (17 degrees)

The joys of the Scottish climate.

Have a good weekend all! 

Edited by Mr Frost

A memorable day of weather - kids off to school in heavy snow in the morning and returning in a heavy hail shower!  Never got to say that in the winter, definitely wasn't expecting to say it in May.

A cold day with frequent showers of sleet/snow/hail in a strong northerly wind - nothing lying but really bizarre watching the snow fall whilst the surrounding deciduous trees are all resplendent in their fresh green leaves.  Alas the wind is stripping the cherry blossom quickly though. 

A academic high of 6.2c here and currently 1.6c outside.

As noted by northernlights some superb cloudscapes today - between the showers it felt wonderful out thanks to the clean air and the strong sun.  Could get very used to this type of weather but the inner gardener tells me to stop wishing it on 😉

Snowing here now! 🙂

6 hours ago, 101_North said:

I was out during that shower. Felt like it was turning to proper snow as it went on. 

Well I drove through some real heavy wintry showers on the way to work this morning. Some really impressive black clouds in the background St times too, with obvious white sheets falling from them. Turned more to hail in the afternoon, including one that had me abandoning attempts to put the bikes on the back of the motorhome and scurrying back to the shelter of the garage. 

Drive down the A90 then across from Forfar to Dunkeld was largely uneventful, but the quality of the light was marvellous at times. Real blue skies, punctuated with showers, and lush green vegetation contrasting with it. Could have stopped many times to get the camera out, but campsite at Blair Atholl was calling, or more importantly the desire to get there so we could eat was calling. 

Snow showers through the day, small covering here. A bout like this is normal for May. Following another dire/weird winter and given how much humans are evidently trashing the joint it’s nice to have some relative comfort in familiarity