Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Cannot wait for winter to start! 

My childish fixation with snow is unrelenting and I would love the next 6 or so weeks to be cold and snowy. 

Looks like it will not be the classic ‘cold but dry’ (showers) type cold spell. 

More LPs coming in and meeting increasingly cold air. 

Hibernate for the next few days and by mid-next week we will hopefully have some snow innthe forecast

• Like 6

Posted

A cloudy day so far here with rain and the usual windy weather is back with gusts just over 50mph yesterday evening and up to 42mph today.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

It’s all doom and gloom in the model thread again as it’s not showing the cold and snow they want down south. Still looking good for us in Scotland. Models are all over the place though, I don’t think anyone has clue on what is going to happen next week. Exciting times ahead if you ask me

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
3 hours ago, Stormeh said:

It’s all doom and gloom in the model thread again as it’s not showing the cold and snow they want down south. Still looking good for us in Scotland. Models are all over the place though, I don’t think anyone has clue on what is going to happen next week. Exciting times ahead if you ask me

Funny isn't it, I keep looking at the models, the 850s etc and think "bring it on" and then look at the model thread in bemused disbelief as half of them are moaning and searching for the fabled 'beast from the east'. I feel for those down south, I really do, but they just live in the wrong place. Mind you, send them to the likes of Austria at the moment and I swear they'd still moan... "too much snow... too cold". 

Decent day here I suppose, if unexciting. Maybe maxed out about 8C, dry, cloudy, bit of a stiff breeze at times.

Bought a couple more bags of smokeless coal for the stove today and split some more wood, ready for next week. Should turn colder by the weekend, potentially some snow a day or two after that? 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
29 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Funny isn't it, I keep looking at the models, the 850s etc and think "bring it on" and then look at the model thread in bemused disbelief as half of them are moaning and searching for the fabled 'beast from the east'. I feel for those down south, I really do, but they just live in the wrong place. Mind you, send them to the likes of Austria at the moment and I swear they'd still moan... "too much snow... too cold". 

Decent day here I suppose, if unexciting. Maybe maxed out about 8C, dry, cloudy, bit of a stiff breeze at times.

Bought a couple more bags of smokeless coal for the stove today and split some more wood, ready for next week. Should turn colder by the weekend, potentially some snow a day or two after that? 

You can't dismiss their moaning by just saying they live in the wrong place - they all supposed to move north? Lying snow for many people in England is a less than annual event and the frustration is immense.  As you say though, it is irritating how these folk can't keep their grumbling tone out of posts in the model thread - there's several places for them to let off steam now.

Another pants day drifts past here. Grey, drizzly, damp.

• Like 3

Posted

Another almost dry day here . Young Mr. Northernlights taking off stones again and I am not stopping him if its about to get wetter.This is a job normally done in late March early April as ground dries up but ground has been dry for months so might as well be ahead of the game. This last week has been great too for getting routine testing for TB and B.V.D done in the cattle Artic lorry in with load of feed yesterday road dry so no danger of getting stuck in mud. Stiil got a store of neeps so weather could get  nasty for a month if it likes but will try to lift a few loads of neeps sometime soon to top up store. Currently slight rain and 9c.

• Like 2

Posted
37 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Another almost dry day here . Young Mr. Northernlights taking off stones again and I am not stopping him if its about to get wetter.This is a job normally done in late March early April as ground dries up but ground has been dry for months so might as well be ahead of the game. This last week has been great too for getting routine testing for TB and B.V.D done in the cattle Artic lorry in with load of feed yesterday road dry so no danger of getting stuck in mud. Stiil got a store of neeps so weather could get  nasty for a month if it likes but will try to lift a few loads of neeps sometime soon to top up store. Currently slight rain and 9c.

Are the neeps the cows and sheep eat just the same as what we buy in the shops for us (well some of us) to eat? Different varieties?

Younger HC went for a long walk down by Dunkeld today and reported similar overcast weather. He'd wanted to go high but the cloud was too low.

Roll on the snow. Please.

• Like 1

Posted
52 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Are the neeps the cows and sheep eat just the same as what we buy in the shops for us (well some of us) to eat? Different varieties?

I have always wondered about that - especially just having had haggis, neeps ( the pre-mashed supermarket type) and tatties for my evening meal.

Fresh turnips, or supermarket ones, require a hack-saw to deal with :oldmellow:.

Edited by ciel
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, ciel said:

I have always wondered about that - especially just having had haggis, neeps ( the pre-mashed supermarket type) and tatties for my evening meal.

Fresh turnips, or supermarket ones, require a hack-saw to deal with :oldmellow:.

Have you tried cooking them? It is allowed in Scotland, at least until Brexit... (shoehorn)

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Technically we are growing swedes the variety being Invitation and surprisingly this year we have had the highest yields ever. Yes the varieties will be different in the shops probably lower dry matter so  not so frost hardy.They are also sown thickly  on wide  beds and not rows to keep the size down.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Technically we are growing swedes the variety being Invitation and surprisingly this year we have had the highest yields ever. Yes the varieties will be different in the shops probably lower dry matter so  not so frost hardy.They are also sown thickly  on wide  beds and not rows to keep the size down.

Must be the first time I've heard or seen a Scot use the word 'swede'! I even get chastised by Ms HC for calling them that. 'It's tatties and neeps!!' Yeah, yeah, mashed taters and swede... Funny though cos I really like swede, none of the rest do, mainly because it makes them farty.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Must be the first time I've heard or seen a Scot use the word 'swede'! I even get chastised by Ms HC for calling them that. 'It's tatties and neeps!!' Yeah, yeah, mashed taters and swede... Funny though cos I really like swede, none of the rest do, mainly because it makes them farty.

Technically I am a Cockney Londoner born within the sound of Bow Bells but my father was born on this farm and we have a family history on this farm going back at least 300 years as tenants so you can see i am a bit of a conundrum

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Technically I am a Cockney Londoner born within the sound of Bow Bells but my father was born on this farm and we have a family history on this farm going back at least 300 years as tenants so you can see i am a bit of a conundrum

We are all immigrants. I certainly am and a high proportion of my recent (and more distant) ancestors were / are.   Although you're perhaps only an immigrant 'technically'! We were out for a meal earlier with friends and we knew most of the staff and diners there - lots of immigrants, all mingling and exchanging ideas.  Small-minded people don't like this.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
39 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

In Cornwall we call swede turnip, oh and cauliflower is called broccoli  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

First morning we've had blue sky for a wee while. 8C and a blustery wind round the back - north side of the hoose.   I always wondered about farmer's turnips too, since I often nip over the fence to pinch the odd one. Like you Ciel, I find them very hard to cut and get the husband to do it. Sainsbugs does nice ready-mashed turnip too. I still don't know what a swede is, despite loads of English pals on forums constantly telling me.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Aye, fairly wild here with some light rain blawin aroond. 

I'll need tae get fully suited up fir the dug walk.

The overnight runs look quite promising for next week.

I see @BurntFishTrousers has appeared; that's often a guid straw in the wind fir the snaw.

10 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

We are all immigrants. I certainly am and a high proportion of my recent (and more distant) ancestors were / are.   Although you're perhaps only an immigrant 'technically'! We were out for a meal earlier with friends and we knew most of the staff and diners there - lots of immigrants, all mingling and exchanging ideas.  Small-minded people don't like this.

My documents are all over in Dublin. Will soon be changing my moniker tae Irish Skier thanks tae gran. Will make my household fully foreign technically. After that, first stop is Donegal for a holiday where that side of the family comes from. 

EDIT. Was fascinating looking over the old documents. Gran and grampa married in Ballymena (where grampa worked at the time in the police), but by the time it was registered a couple of days later, they were already back down 'in Lowestoft on active war service'. Gran was an Irish migrant anti-aircraft gunner during the blitz; an 'ack ack girl'.

Anyway, mon the Scottish snaw; I understand Donegal's not got the greatest record for this.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 8

Posted
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Go outside. I can promise it doesn't feel like 10C

Bl@@dy hell! You weren't wrong

Posted

A mostly cloudy start to the day with sunny spells along with a strong North Westerly wind and frequent gusts just over 40mph through last night and this morning with the highest gust reaching 50mph.

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all,

Plenty of sunshine in Broughty Ferry this morning, 10c in a fresh westerly breeze. After a prolonged spell of benign weather things look like turning more wintry later in the week, as other have said. Too early for specifics but at the least the hills should start to see accumulating snow. 

• Like 7

Posted

Today it is mostly gusty.

• Like 7