Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted

Cloudy here not raining very slight breeze all a bit blah really. Quite cold though that something

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

@Ravelin safe travels to you and your family. we all expect to see plenty of pics of the wonderful snaw that you will be enjoying.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Weather over last week or so has been so damned boring! Grey, grey and more grey! A wee blast of wind the other day, just strong enough to blow away some of my bird feeders. Temp has rarely gone below 5c overnight. More of the same over the next week. Dullsville! 

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
On 19/12/2019 at 21:22, Ravelin said:

If Yr.no forecast is correct then it looks like I'll be seeing a White Xmas, pity I've got to drive all the way to Austria to get it though. Currently forecast to turn from rain to snow in Schladming (valley level) on Tuesday evening and continue at least through to Sat, with 15cm or so on Xmas day itself. Should be turning cold enough for snow at higher altitude Sat/Sun, so a nice freshen up for us arriving Mon (roads and weather permitting). 

Back here and it's currently mild(ish) and raining, although stayed dry most of the day. 

UPDATE: Just as I posted the forecast updated to the latest ECM run and all of the precipitation has dissappeared after Tuesday. Bright, cold and calm now, which is good skiing weather I suppose. It'll probably change again next run anyway, hopefully not to mild with gales. 

Hope you have a great time.

I've a sneaky wee week booked in Les Arcs late January.

It's peltin doon wi snaw there the now. Cannae stop looking at the webcam.

In the meantime, am aff tae ma folks in the highlands for christmas. Looking like a damp and squelchy yin sadly.

• Like 5

Posted

I am sorely tempted to post this image in the Mad House! I wonder how many heads would explode on first viewing? I'm not daft enough to think that this will come off, after all, it's over two weeks away,but nevertheless, I daresay there will be someone, somewhere who will start stocking up on bread and pasta and maybe a wee bottle for medicinal purposes only! 

uksnowrisk.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Naff all tae dae with the weather, but I thought some might be interested while sitting around looking oot the windae at dull grey skies.

Duolingo - a great wee app (free for phone or PC) for learning languages - have now added Scottish Gaelic. 

I've done my first few lessons and it's really good. Lots of words you may have seen on maps and signs will soon make sense!

You'll also find if that you are proficient in Scots, and can say Gaelic words like 'loch', you'll have no problems with sounding. After all, many words in Scots come from the Gàidhlig. 

Slàinte!

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

Naff all tae dae with the weather, but I thought some might be interested while sitting around looking oot the windae at dull grey skies.

Duolingo - a great wee app (free for phone or PC) for learning languages - have now added Scottish Gaelic. 

I've done my first few lessons and it's really good. Lots of words you may have seen on maps and signs will soon make sense!

You'll also find if that you are proficient in Scots, and can say Gaelic words like 'loch', you'll have no problems with sounding. After all, many words in Scots come from the Gàidhlig. 

Slàinte!

My wife and daughter are both using Duolingo to learn Gaelic. My daughter in particular is committed to learning as much as she can as her grandad was a native speaker and didn't learn English until he went to school. She is sending us all her messages in Gaelic from the USA at present. 
Despite being in Northern Indiana where the usual late Dec max is 0C they are expecting +13 to 14C this year so no white christmas much to her disappointment. Here pretty average to boring weather for the foreseeable.  Currently 2.7C and misty after a max of 4.5C.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

What a boring spell of weather and it looks set to continue as we head into the New Year. Hopefully we start seeing some changes in the models soon showing a much needed cold and snowy spell :oldsmile:

I hope everyone has a great Christmas :santa-emoji:

• Like 6

Posted

9 degrees tomorrow, into double figures by next weekend. And no real change on the horizon as we head into January. High jet stream, strong polar vortex and nao+. Looking colder in southern Greece than in Scotland 

Seasonal forecasts are always spot on when they predict mild weather, yet always wrong when cold conditions are expected  

• Like 6

Posted

^^

Great photos.

Largo Law in the background of the bottom photo there - a pleasant short (and steep) hillwalk from Upper Largo, with great views along the Fife coast on a clear day.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Arrived in Schladming this afternoon, after a long and often very wet drive. Drove through rain most of the way from Southern England yesterday, through France Belgium and Luxembourg into Germany, then down into Austria today. Still raining even now in Schladming, which looks OK on the slopes higher up, but certainly thin white streak through the trees and meadows lower down. Will hopefully get up onto the slopes tomorrow for a better look but think I'll be downloading on the gondola rather than skiing down. 

Photos will of course follow. 

• Like 9

Posted

Well, it's a dull but dry Christmas Eve up here and looks to stay that way for the next few days. Hope you all have a great Christmas wherever you are! ❄❄⛄

• Like 6

Posted

Morning all,

Not as bright as yesterday here, mostly cloudy and currently 4c in St Andrews.

Wishing everyone a very merry Christmas and (hopefully) a snowy New Year!  Some very tentative indications of things turning colder into New Year - worth keeping an eye on!

• Like 7