Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

A bright and sunny day here it's been nearly a week since we've had a day like this. Temperatures have stayed on the cold side mainly around 3c with it dropping down to 1.2c for a time earlier this morning. There is still snow on the top of the hills around here it looks nice in the sunshine.

• Like 4

Posted

Miserable weather, cloudy heavy rain and feeling chilly in the NW winds. Turning colder, and drier, over the weekend. A change to milder weather Thursday next week.

Decided against trudging around the hills today. Feet up in front of the fire.

20191212_155104.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

as @Mr Frost said it is a tricky one tomorrow, looks like the kind of setup where wintry surprises happen with front(s) and almost a small developing low moving into colder air 20191213.1016.PPVE89.png  20191213.0458.PPVG89.png A couple of issues from my POV looking at the short range models, 850 temps for the majority look to be around -2 (although possibly an area of around -4/5 moving into the south of Scotland through tomorrow afternoon) really the minimum for snow chances would be around -5, Dew points may just be acceptable around 1 C for the majority although higher towards the west coast (will discuss that in a minute) but again most favourable area looks to be south Scotland later in the day with DP's of around -2, third issue is the infamous mild sector which depends on how much the pressure lowers from the Atlantic which I have highlighted in the image below image.thumb.png.306394317fc2cac8e704741a70679be9.png  this would be my watch area for snow but the issue is models show lack of precip when the more favourbale conditions develop in the afternoon image.thumb.png.6a59fa047c45b1660ed8a3ad75d660fe.png so certainly on the lower end of the risk scale due to the precip timing issue, will keep an eye on the models later and see if any changes. 

• Like 7

Posted
6 hours ago, 101_North said:

Brightening up now after a fairly damp, dark, drizzly morning. Blue sky poking through. Sleet at best here tomorrow is my best guess.

I will be very surprised if I even see sleet in Edinburgh. Haven't seen a single snowflake so far, not even sleet.

• Like 1

Posted

Next week looks much better. Mostly dry with sunny periods. Forecast is for a return to wind and rain from Wednesday/Thursday onwards with snow on the hills. The outlook is for generally more of the same over Christmas.

Perhaps signs of a significant change around new year.

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Still not pushing north unless north means right on this map and still no "very mild" temperatures. 

And GFS not showing HP pushing north or "very mild" either at the same time frame so not "too":

1137325355_Screenshot_20191213-191702_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.91a1891971a332cf1fa09006efd7d94e.jpg

As it was the last time I checked the GFS has only a couple of frames with temps of 10C or above anywhere in the whole run. 

Ok maybe not very mild, but still above average temperatures and southern winds.

I was hoping that the jet stream would stay low as we head into the Christmas period. Instead these charts would produce south/south-western winds (high pressure over Spain to blame), rain and 8-9C. 

Still a long way away, so I'm hoping the charts change as we get nearer and the pattern flattens out to give us a lower jet stream. 

GFS ensembles are showing a gradual return to colder conditions after the milder blip.

gfs-15-192.png

ECM100-168.gif

gfs-15-168.png

Edited by edinburgh_1992
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Tomorrow night also tricky to call with a front possibly moving up from the Irish Sea / NW England 20191213.1723.PPVG89.png lots of uncertainties tomorrow and a radar / lamppost watching kind of day me thinks! 

• Like 1

Posted

I'm calling this horse ahead of time to save disappointment

Snow forecast in Edinburgh over weekend as Met Office warns of icy roads and pavements

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

3c grey and icy rain

Yuk

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Sleety rain here. I thought it was rain but putting the recycling out in a black top resulted in white specs on my arms. So sleet it is. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Cold, fires are on after a quick clear up. sunny with the odd bit of cloud drifting around. a nice day compared to yesterdays filth.

• Like 4

Posted

Yellow snow and ice warning issued for tonight, snow mainly above 200m but it mentions snow to lower levels in Scotland as a possibility. That's our snow chances gone for tonight then 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
On 08/12/2019 at 15:13, bigsnow said:

So thats what them things are on top of chimneys... i shall look into it. Also just had a small shower pass thru and the radar looks full out to the west so maybe something to come later.

Also prevents rain getting in, which can be a problem if it's very heavy and/or the chimney is not in use.

Many a damp patch has been caused by a bricked up fire place and an open chimney pot. 

5 minutes ago, Ross B said:

Yellow snow and ice warning issued for tonight, snow mainly above 200m but it mentions snow to lower levels in Scotland as a possibility. That's our snow chances gone for tonight then 

If I climb a tree, I'm almost at 200 m here.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 7

Posted
13 minutes ago, Ross B said:

Maybe just manage to squeak a wee covering 

Screenshot_20191214_111706_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
39 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Potential for someone to get 4 inches off the blob, my money is on @shuggee

376922056_Screenshot_20191214-112619_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.cb2d30e3ffc6e9eaff023207bd3eaaff.jpg

Grand shout by @Kirkcaldy Weather previously, maybe yesterday?

Yep I'm just at the very top edge of the blob, Leadhills etc would appear the place to be for the best chance 

• Like 2