Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted

FINALLY stopped raining (checked radar) looks like 12 hours solid. I think it safe to say what we didn't get rain wise November pretty sure we've more than made up for it now with last few days ;)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and Thunderstorms

Forecast for the weekend starting to look interesting

Screenshot_20191210-180000_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Back to 5.5c after being up to 10c earlier today.Dry and windy most of the morning but wet in the afternoon with  a marked squall line which undid all the good the wind had done in the morning drying up some of the mud.

• Like 2

A look at the SEPA rainfall data today most places reported at least over 20mm of rain,

114562319_wins1.thumb.png.77f950a6bab8bcea98d8c2d49da894f3.png

A closer look at the Highlands many places got over 30mm some up to 40mm the highest two being Rhiconich (far North West) with 52.6mm and 79.4mm reported at Allt Dearg House on the Isle of Skye,

1724214900_wins2.thumb.png.4b2584f911500bbcbd5bd0eeb572d931.png

Central Scotland saw most places between 25 to 35mm with the Loch Lomond area reporting 66.6mm at Inveruglas and Upper Monachlye 86.8mm,

2113412302_wins3.thumb.png.4f4bd773e0bde42e6aa5f0f22f51d251.png

Map and data can be viewed at https://apps.sepa.org.uk/rainfall

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
54 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Snowflakes for afternoon snacks anyone?

1335817149_Screenshot_20191210-190444_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.9a76bbc32e19fb64adc5e093d98e3c18.jpg

A Clyde-Forth streamer perhaps? :oldgrin: Can tell the cold front went through  high of 12.6 C earlier now down to 5.6 C / DP 4.1 C

• Like 3

Posted
45 minutes ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

With temperatures of 4-5C all day tomorrow I doubt we will be seeing any snow in Edinburgh or elsewhere on lower ground. 

Snow much more likely from around 200m above sea level

Forecast for here tomorrow is sunny and 2C. At least another week of the prevailing SW winds to endure.

• Like 2

Posted

Atlantic driven low pressure systems are forecast to continue this week and into  next week, according to BBC weather.

More rain and more wind to come.

Scottish Ski centres might do quite well. 2013/14.....

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Big showers moving in from the West - turning increasingly wintry.

Thunder and lightning about as well recently.

B67A77D4-CB89-4EAE-8ED0-BF76749958AA.thumb.png.6af6eaff37b2f899515827af723659ba.pngBDB65A49-A2DD-4EAA-BB98-ACC014C2C31A.thumb.png.a5f3a9dd492fc87b8fd1d0481d02eeef.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

deary me the mad house this evening.......... and the same hope casting and fantasy rubbish from the usual folk and 90% of the waffle is just that waffle. and as in previous winters i bet none of it actually happens. but like the Express etc one day they will be right and oh how they will tell us that they told us so..

• Like 4

Posted

Turned pretty wet again tonight with constant showers rattling in with a lot of hail. 

Spent the day listening to the wind whistling round the office but had calmed a bit by home time. Huge amount of water on the roads going home. A stormy day with some disruption locally due to fallen trees and flooding but nothing exceptional for these parts.

Radio was still reporting that today was storm Brendan even at 6pm.

• Like 4

Posted
22 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

deary me the mad house this evening.......... and the same hope casting and fantasy rubbish from the usual folk and 90% of the waffle is just that waffle. and as in previous winters i bet none of it actually happens. but like the Express etc one day they will be right and oh how they will tell us that they told us so..

Met Office and BBC weather vs the MAD thread weather hobbyists. Who wins? 

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 2

Posted

Think there's hints of a wintry element to this latest shower. Radar thinks so but I can't tell for certain as whatever it is is being blown horizontal past the back light!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Think there's hints of a wintry element to this latest shower. Radar thinks so but I can't tell for certain as whatever it is is being blown horizontal past the back light!

Glad to see you got a new bulb inserted...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just having a heavy shower now following the clearance earlier this evening. Probably brought about as much rain as had fallen all day here as not much made it through from the West earlier. The squall line did bring brief very gusty winds this afternoon which closed the bridge to all but cars. Temps falling away and back down to 4C from a high of 10.8C this morning and a low of 1C early in the night.

Wasn't it the Irish Met that named the storm at the weekend? 

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, bigsnow said:

Glad to see you got a new bulb inserted...

Couldn't risk approaching winter without it

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Met Office and BBC weather vs the MAD thread weather hobbyists. Who wins? 

Who knows.. but in all seriousness its the same ones every year that come out with the same crap and like sheep the flock follow only to find out it dont happen.. then said flock start chucking the toys around as the first 4 weeks of December slide by, then as the new year comes in we get another round of hope casting, follow me i can see whats coming etc and low and behold its the end of Feb and no snaw in London means the winter was crap while us lot in Scotland are still digging out for the 3rd or 4th time but then how dare we go into the mad house and mention it... anyway rant over. just like winter according to bloke from Crewe...

Edited by bigsnow
  • Like 6

Posted

Obviously will be run to run changes but possibly some interest around Christmas?  :santa-emoji:gens-0-1-336.thumb.png.5a9c4a0babfcf3b4eed1ee0ac267737f.png    gens-20-1-312.thumb.png.5bcb6244bb4cc2fb0b06a84ec7a5c4d4.png gensnh-0-1-336.thumb.png.c5847171e43f35d94ad499b98ef33ab6.png  

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Aye, they had a Status Orange (?) out for it so it got named. 

Edit: By Irish standards it would have been an Orange so the storm would have been named.

1991221957_Screenshot_20191210-230718_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.bac7fa86f1c8c4475881a43c75f9d518.jpg

The Met-O warning system varies according to impacts on some unspecified ratio of population density. It's a stupid system, inconsistent and different for different areas and potentially dangerous. The Irish system works on absolutes which makes more sense. We've had a reasonable amount of disruption today. Severe road flooding, 22 flood warnings at least one landslide and the 2nd busiest cross border route closed for much of the day due to unrecoverable tipped HGVs but yeah Yellow warning is fine.

I remember over 10 years ago the warning system on the Met Office was much better at least from what I remember it had none of that messy drawing on a map and warnings overlapping each other instead you had a region that would just be highlighted in yellow, orange and red it was straight to the point with no storm names and it just gave a warning of severe weather and I also found the warnings to be better and more consistent back then too. I lived in the Western Isles for 15 years and a while ago moved back to the mainland when I lived in the Western Isles they used to give warnings out all the time years ago mostly yellow warnings but each winter we would get at least 2 or 3 red warnings recently in the past few years we didn't get any red warnings for where I lived not even an amber warning. But it got worse the Met Office don't seem to have a clue about the weather out there yes 70 to 80mph gusts are probably nothing to the islanders their used to it they think but it all depends on the wind direction a few years ago in October high winds came from the South East (it usually comes off the Atlantic from the West) and flooded many places and caused some damage yet no warning no storm name. Last December this happened again as well from the same direction we got a gust just under 90mph that night thankfully no flooding due to a very low tide at the time but we did get some minor damage and again we didn't even get a yellow warning or a storm name.

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, Zenarcher said:

I remember over 10 years ago the warning system on the Met Office was much better at least from what I remember it had none of that messy drawing on a map and warnings overlapping each other instead you had a region that would just be highlighted in yellow, orange and red it was straight to the point with no storm names and it just gave a warning of severe weather and I also found the warnings to be better and more consistent back then too. I lived in the Western Isles for 15 years and a while ago moved back to the mainland when I lived in the Western Isles they used to give warnings out all the time years ago mostly yellow warnings but each winter we would get at least 2 or 3 red warnings recently in the past few years we didn't get any red warnings for where I lived not even an amber warning. But it got worse the Met Office don't seem to have a clue about the weather out there yes 70 to 80mph gusts are probably nothing to the islanders their used to it they think but it all depends on the wind direction a few years ago in October high winds came from the South East (it usually comes off the Atlantic from the West) and flooded many places and caused some damage yet no warning no storm name. Last December this happened again as well from the same direction we got a gust just under 90mph that night thankfully no flooding due to a very low tide at the time but we did get some minor damage and again we didn't even get a yellow warning or a storm name.

This was what the MO said before the most recent changes to the warnings

"Improvements have also been made to the way people can access, understand and use warning information. These improvements include:

extending how far before severe weather warnings can be issued: from five days to seven days ahead

improving the language used to communicate severe weather and impacts, including advice as to what to expect and what action to take

issuing warnings faster and, therefore, with shorter lead times when the weather is changing rapidly

improving the look and feel across all Met Office digital channels, our website and app

making the warnings easier to understand."  

lightning-strike-surrounded-by-cloud.jpe
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

We're introducing two new national weather warnings, thunderstorms and lightning.

The bits I have highlighted are what I wouldn't really agree with we have seen many times in the past where warnings have been issued when the event has already started (snowfalls etc). Everyone will have different opinions on the website / app appearance but I wouldn't say it has really improved and as for the last bit we have seen warnings overlap and be hard to decipher which area is being covered by what warning.

• Like 2

Posted

Very heavy and squally hail shower rattling through. Certainly woke everyone up!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Cats disgusted that it's still raining, they seem to be holding me personally responsible. 

Horrid drive in and out of work yesterday, the M9 was completely sodden. 

Ancient mother and grown up son flying up from Cornwall/Devon respectively on 23rd so hoping any Xmas "interesting weather" holds off until 24th.

The non grown up kids are keeping their fingers crossed for a cold Xmas as last year we went down to Cornwall and it was nearly t-shirt weather. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

There were two lorries over yesterday near Torness which closed/restricted one section of A1 down to border and another lorry went over nearer Haddington, on the highly exposed Tyne bit, which is wobbly on a fine day. Then once police car arrived another lorry went over on top of it, people were okay.

a1crash.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Chill in the wind and feels bitter but still 4c so lively showers are big chunky raindrops. Certainly interesting weather that will make me gaze out the window at work. 

Edited by edo
Change lovely to lively ?they would be lovely if snaw
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Well that was surely a real crappy day yesterday! Winds weren't anything out of the ordinary, but the rain...! On Monday afternoon I emptied my manual rain gauge. Yesterday morning around 10am it was full to overflowing. So over 2 inches of rain fell in that space of time. I haven't checked it this morning by when I looked in the afternoon it was heading up to the 2 inch mark again! Calmer today, skies clearing but I don't think the rain is far away. Will try and get out during a dry spell to deliver Christmas cards around the village. Was stuck inside most of the day yesterday so the exercise will do me good!

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 4