Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Hopefully tomorrow ramps up a bit further, it's been a couple of years since there was a proper severe gale through the Strathclyde area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Aye severe gales with some snowflakes blowing through in squally showers would be of interest.... Fingers crossed.... Certainly looks like could be some lively weather for some 

• Like 4

Posted

Sixteenth air frost an hour ago at -0.7°C. Now +0.2°C  and the only way is up! Been a lovely day with a pastel sunset.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Seem to remember it being pretty tame where i am although i am in one of the lowest parts of Lanarkshire so the worst winds often miss here.

• Like 1

Posted

Yesterday was exceptionally grim, sideways lashing rain, sleet and wet snow, lights required all day in the house. Today was improved, settled and cold. Was frosty and -2c as I headed out at 5pm just arrived back to 3c and a bit of a breeze. Very changeable 

• Like 5

Posted

Iceland is in for some Unbelievable weather over the next 48 hours or so! 

Akureyri at the North of Iceland is looking at 4 - 6 feet of snow coupled with hurricane force winds with temps dropping off to -10C

Look at this snapshot from the MetO site, gusts over 80mph and constant heavy snow.... Insane!! 

Screenshot_20191210_001521_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191210_002457.jpg

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 6

Posted

Howlng gale and 10c An apple tree that hangs on to its leaves most autumns has finally lost them today so garden looks very wintry now.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

It may be technically mild at 8c for December but sure does not feel it in sideways driving rain..... High Street there had multiple people with inside out brollies.... Which for some reason made me laugh watching them all wrestle with the brollies. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Ah, that lovely sound that herald's the first winter storm......... drip, drip, drip! My driveway is like a river and I have drips in the hallway and sitting room. Doesn't matter how hard you try the water will get in if it wants to! This after  having the whole roof at the back of the house replaced after storm Frank, (or was it George?)in 2014 ripped a bit off! Builder was a bit of an idiot and we did get another roofer to make it good a couple of years ago but the wind and rain always find a way to get into the house! it's not majorly bad just very annoying. Got plastic tubs out to catch all the drips and will speak to my friendly builder later today to see if he can help out. 

Had a wind reading of 49.7 mph at 7.24 this morning and it does actually seem as if the wind has dropped a bit. Maybe that's the wrong thing to say.......?️?️

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
6 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

The Scottish ski centres not looking as good this morning as they did yesterday. Significant snow loss overnight.

Looks like a temporary blip mate - frozen/snow covered wonderland incoming. 

7DAC3FEE-70AB-42C5-AA33-E51F86454328.thumb.png.519946d35ddb9072c1d0ab40229f5bac.png

In the meantime a wild day ahead for many of us - freezing level dropping during the evening/overnight. 
Freezing level tomorrow at roughly 500 meters around here for the hills/mountains - dropping to 200/300 meters in heavier precipitation I would imagine for lower ground.

A4F6C99C-4C57-41DE-8341-32803DC93F1C.thumb.png.2597e05de3cd6b8f7d95fcd1461adb52.png

Some of us are going to see snowfall over the coming days but I may have to climb a local hill for mine!  

We shall see - always exciting when we are on the cusp of that first snowflake falling! (For those of us that have seen none so far!)

Good thing is the hills/mountains should be covered over the next few days so from a festive point of view I will bank that! 

Have a good day everyone - about to head out the door...

024F2F9C-B51C-42DF-951A-94B91E8FD86D.thumb.jpeg.d2e4fea129b5c6f852e6de065aae7478.jpeg512804BC-B2D4-4C9C-8090-97A27B7295FA.thumb.jpeg.151f563e37e1c5df7c679414aff3d50a.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted

Wet and wild again this morning with huge amounts of water on the road going over the hill to work. Typical West of Scotland winters day really!

Seem to be behind on everything this year. Out in the dark last night dismantling the net off the trampoline which I normally do in November and the car is only in today for its winter tyres. Discovered that the cost of tyres for the new car is well over double the cost for the old one. The wife is not amused!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Horrible morning here. Just read that the wind is coming from the Cheviots heading for Edinburgh - well guess who is sitting near enough on the highest point in  between those two points

• Like 5

Posted

The heaviest rain appears to be fizzling out before reaching this location, for the time being anyway; 7C; slight breeze from the SW; very dark overhead.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

A bit blowy to say the least!   Rain was hammering against the window at 5.30 this morning.  Stopped now though.

Temp currently 9.1c SSW wind 19mph.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 5

Posted

A lull in proceedings with the rain but there's more pulses heading in this direction (and that before the apparent squall line)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
56 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

@mardatha batten down the hatches... hows the Husbands recovery coming along? all well i hope.

Very slowly BS, but we are getting there. Today he moaned about the amount of electricity we've been using lately - apparently 4 units a day is mad extravagance - so that's a good sign of returning normality! Thanks for asking xx

Edited by mardatha
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
23 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Very slowly BS, but we are getting there. Today he moaned about the amount of electricity we've been using lately - apparently 4 units a day is mad extravagance - so that's a good sign of returning normality! Thanks for asking xx

4 units a day? i think we use that an hour. good to here things are going well,  slow and steady wins the race as they say.x

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Only the odd spot of rain here so far today, although the BBC has me down for heavy rain all day from early this morning so thats wrong already.. the wind seems to have picked up some more in the last hour or so and this old farm house is making some very strange noises indeed.

• Like 5