Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

@CatchMyDrift oh no not the Isthmus thing again.. im going to put the kettle on and crack out the popcorn....this could be fun.

Edited by bigsnow
  • Like 3

Posted
Just now, CatchMyDrift said:

The only debate is over what comes first in the name, Clyde or Forth? I'll get my popcorn too

Last time it came up i seem to remember pages of fun followed. well if we dont have snaw to hunt there is always a good old Isthmus debate.. me i still dont have a clue what it means. 

• Like 3

Posted
15 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The only debate is over what comes first in the name, Clyde or Forth? I'll get my popcorn too

Forth-Clyde Isthmus for me but for the sake of weather forum cohesion I'll accept both 

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It just means a relatively narrow strip of land connecting two larger bits of land. Like Scotland.

Ahh right, im away to look this up and have a read about it.

• Like 2

Posted

Cloudy morning with rain and at times a bit windy again its improved now though with a bit of sunshine out. The temperature over night was on the mild side at 10.2c now it's dropped to 8.4c just after 12pm.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

As a neutral I would go Clyde-forth purely from an alphabetical perspective and because our weather usually travels west to east. I should also point out the Tay is by far the best river in Scotland

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Hopefully the 12z runs are full of weather or I'll be back to ask why the River Tay comes out of Loch Tay but the River Leven comes out of Loch Lomond in our next round of Scottish Geography for bored toddlers

ohhh i shall stay tuned for that sounds like fun.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Temperatures here were +10 C through the night, absolutely minging temperatures for December   the average minimum temperature here for December should be 0.7 C 

3 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

For me it is what direction the flow is from ie next weeks would be a Clyde-Forth streamer being from the W / NW whereas the BFTE was a Forth-Clyde streamer being from the E

On 21/11/2014 at 01:03, LomondSnowstorm said:

December 2009/January 2010:

archives-2009-12-17-12-0.png?

The first snowfall of that exceptional spell, as with the February '09 one featured (I believe) a Forth-Clyde streamer (or was that the rare 'Tay-Clyde' streamer event?) which gave substantial snow all the way through the central belt to Glasgow. 

archives-2010-1-2-12-0.png?

Decent easterly this with snow already on the ground almost everywhere, another Forth-Clyde streamer and places either side of the Forth got pelted, moreso south Fife. 

archives-2009-12-21-12-0.png

Another from the incredible December '09-January 2010 spell, a Clyde-Forth streamer which delivered a few inches across the central belt.

nothing like a straight forward approach :oldrofl: 

1 hour ago, edo said:

I should also point out the Tay is by far the best river in Scotland

Nah its the river Forth which is best :oldgrin:

• Like 7

Posted

And for me being born in the east end of London the best river is the Thames....if you like filthy muddy water full of old shopping trolleys and empty gin bottles.

• Like 6

Posted

Can I play too ? I grew up in Peebles so it’s the River Tweed for me. Although they have a smaller river spectacularly named The Cuddy.

Merry Isthmus

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Far better than any section of the Forth.

Excuse me!?  How dare you! :oldlaugh: You just jealous because you have missed out on the full benefit from forth streamers over the years? :oldgrin:

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

For the majority of my life I lived in range of Forth Streamers, I lived in West Central Scotland for the first 34 years of my life. I've only been in the Borders for just under 8 years.

My 1st memory of proper deep disruptive snow was in Jan 1987 when I lived in Glasgow. We ended up getting sent home from school. I didn't know it at the time but that was off a Forth streamer.

I can remember epic big streamers and some wee spindly efforts too. So not at all jealous just got eyeballs.

Well given I am 23 you and many others have experienced more snowfall events than me *says jealously* hopefully we all get to enjoy plenty more in the years to come   something like that would do for starters gens-9-1-336.thumb.png.282cebd8c43c3b51143f655c24c6ce7b.png  gens-9-1-348.thumb.png.2ed93cc85eee201f432db69c1892bd3e.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

I may have just accidentally reported someone's post, not entirely sure. Phone is playing up. Huge apologies if I have. Red face.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
1 hour ago, snowidea said:

I may have just accidentally reported someone's post, not entirely sure. Phone is playing up. Huge apologies if I have. Red face.

No sign of a reported post that I can see. 
Starry here but still quite breezy. Still relatively mild at 7.1C

• Like 1

Posted

Seems the models are reverting back to a stronger/colder cyclonic PM flow ECM wintry and cold this evening for Scotland increasingly falling to lower levels, dumps a lot of snow for some of you..hopefully @bigsnow gets his SNAWWW or it may turn rather ugly!!

27861DAA-9887-4E0F-AB97-E29F86CA837D.thumb.png.320ffcfcc8fc64d905066ce57eedd4d4.png

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

The Black Isle isn't renowned for rivers (there are none worth bothering with) so I'll speak up for the Kent in south Lake District. Pretty damn short but it starts in Kentmere which can be extremely rainy, so the Kent is exceptionally flashy for a river of its size. As it showed a few years ago by flooding hundreds of homes in Kendal.

In other news, I thought my car thermometer was failing this week as it seemed stuck at 8C. Then today it's been a bit more variable.  We had grey and drizzle in Caithness followed by windy fog. Drizzly and feels cooler out this evening at home.  Be nice if the temp drop forecast for next week happens.

What do lumberjacks and orangutans have in common? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

If we're still on rivers, being Cornish I have to vote for the Tamar as it keeps those nasty Devonians away.

Weather a bit meh today, still quite mild here. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
6 hours ago, Serac said:

Can I play too ? I grew up in Peebles so it’s the River Tweed for me. Although they have a smaller river spectacularly named The Cuddy.

Merry Isthmus

Ahhh I am very fond of the tweed, had family in peebles so have visited there all my life... Have stood on the footbridge many a time watching it in a raging flow

Models still teasing potential marginal events 

Model thread quiet

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

My river is the Gala Water, closely followed by the Tweed. I like Peebles too, but also like the lonely bits of the young Gala Water.

• Like 4

Posted
19 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It's a reasonable start here in the far south-east, and to prove me wrong about the tatties it would appear to be the start of harvesting the rest of the crop. Didn't get any pics of the harvest as Fergus the Spaniel went mental at them.

20191207_074759.thumb.jpg.3b8471a0b7a5f9f78754233b58ed7185.jpg20191207_075741.thumb.jpg.90e792d08aef020c0e7aa814cdba420a.jpg

Every effort will be made to get tatties up before deep penetrating frosts for a number of reasons,firstly drought conditons in Europe have reduced their yields,(prices rising and or minimum delivery tonnes on contracts with penallties applied if not supplied)  secondly a lot of ground is too wet in England to carry machinery mainly in NE England where a lot of chipping supplies come from and thirdly lifting in such conditions will lead to high wastage losses in store due to soft rots. Some will be abandoned till maybe April and surviving tatties will be lifted.

Another question mark hangs over carrots in England where a lot of ground they are in is too wet to carry the straw bedding machines which are used to protect from frost overwinter. Contract stipulations will apply here too although excess acreage is usually planted.

Currently 6c bright and dry

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 7

Posted

Bright this morning with a light frost hanging on in the shade, 5C and still.

My favourite river spot/walk is the stretch of the North Esk between the Rocks of Solitude and Gannochy Bridge where it tumbles over and through the Highland Boundary Fault

• Like 7

Posted
13 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

As @Norrance pointed out in the MH we're not a million miles away from Jan 2018:

1994356845_Screenshot_20191206-203835_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.34d7a65a837d81d6fd5dc7f967b9de3a.jpg1830727530_Screenshot_20191206-204139_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.a943b97395c4d8fee8af9cd15192e8d4.jpg

The wind direction on the ECM +192 chart could do with being more of a westerly like the Jan 18 chart rather than slightly south of west but apart from that they're not that different. The Jan 18 chart brought @shuggee a foot of snow and even I managed 6 inches.

I'll take a January 2018 please! 

Screenshot_20191207_103610_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20191207_103602_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

One vote for the White Cart Water please. Can be quite picturesque through Linn Park on the south side of Glasgow. The rest of it is a bit meh though.

I see snow has now re-entered the forecast for next week. At least there's agreement on the temperatures being seasonal.

• Like 6

Posted

Reasonable chances of seeing snow over the coming weeks for some parts of scotland, as long as the jet stream stays low. Even in Edinburgh we got lots of snow during january 2018 from westerlies. 

My main concern is that the HP over spain will push north and keep us on the wet and mild side of things, even up in Scotland :( 

• Like 3

Posted

Heavy rain's really set in. Looks like lasting for a good couple of hours at least

• Like 3