Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
1 hour ago, Sceptical said:

Depths will vary according to elevation. At present, most of the pistes are brown, with artificial snow confined to a few beginner areas. 

Cairngorm ski season is due to start this Saturday.

I thought the funicular was still out of operation?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Afternoon all

Gusting between 40mph to 45mph - making a wee roar but more like a fart in a teacup. (I would class anything over 55mph as decent from an extreme weather enthusiast view )

Bit choppy on the water and heavy rain - it’s actually quite nice to hear the rain hitting off the windows - not had much of that in recent times. 

Later next week still looking interesting from a wintry/snowy perspective - imagine places over 300 meters are going to get quite a dump! (Low levels who knows but guys like @Ravelin @bigsnow @Northern Strath will probably see snowfall before any of the rest of us as usual!) 

Have a good night!

• Like 7

Posted

Ground just begining to dry up this afternoon in fresh SW wind.Could almost think of lifting a few more neeps for the next month. However its pouring down now so all thoughts of fieldwork are off.Been a very wet start to winter..Currently 11c

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
17 minutes ago, russell k said:

Fom recent BBC story... "HIE said during the season it would be running nine surface lifts which should enable up to 1,000 visitors a day to access the slopes when conditions are suitable."

"HIE said in busy periods up to 10 designated staff, called hosts, would be working at the ski lifts.

They will work alongside the centre's core operations team, meeting and greeting visitors, providing help when queues build up, communicating information, and providing cover during breaks."

So Scotland's "premier" ski resort has been reduced to 9 surface lifts. Even the Lecht has a chair! Maybe in high demand periods they'll have the extra 10 "hosts" carry skiers up the hill by piggy back. Not sure how well that'll improve the uplift capacity though. 

Farcical. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 4

Posted
21 minutes ago, russell k said:

That's correct.

£10 million repair estimate

£13 million estimate to remove it completely (planning consent clause).

HIE has asked the Scottish government to make a decision.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
3 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

At least it was only one snow symbol that didn't verify and not a promise of 35cm the next day that didn't verify when you got organised and chopped wood and got coal organised and candles for when the power went off and made a snow measuring stick from a piece of cane and some black tape and even named the measuring stick too and his name was Fernando not that this was me and no I am not still bitter I just forget to use punctuation sometimes.

Was there something in the air that night? 

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

That's correct.

That's a shame as looks like significant snow at altitude, given that "stormbound" could be the headline!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Posted earlier that there had been no double figure temperatures here since the 4rth of November but in the last few minutes it has risen to 10.1C and still rising.

Now 11.3C. My highest since October 24rth!

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 5

Posted
8 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Posted earlier that there had been no double figure temperatures here since the 4rth of November but in the last few minutes it has risen to 10.1C and still rising.

Wind, rain and mild here.

Also 10C.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
55 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

That's correct.

I have no idea why they went for it in the first place. I had been on a couple in the Alps in the nineties and compared with gondolas and modern chairs they were already really inefficient then.

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Norrance said:

I have no idea why they went for it in the first place. I had been on a couple in the Alps in the nineties and compared with gondolas and modern chairs they were already really inefficient then.

I suspect wind was the deciding factor against using a Gondola or chairlift. 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

I suspect wind was the deciding factor against using a Gondola or chairlift. 

Yes that makes sense though what fun is there in skiing if it is too windy for a chairlift? Come to think of it though, I have done it albeit a long time ago.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
1 hour ago, Norrance said:

Now 11.3C. My highest since October 24rth!

Absolutely mental here with the wind, and also will you be able to match my current 11.9 C 

• Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Absolutely mental here with the wind, and also will you be able to match my current 11.9 C 

12c on the car just now! To be fair though it rounds up so probably only 11.7c or something

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, 101_North said:

12c on the car just now! To be fair though it rounds up so probably only 11.7c or something

Max temp here was 12.0 C at 5:15 pm still sitting on 11.9 C and DP 10.5 C  hurry up colder air!! 

• Like 4

Posted
54 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Maybe not? Peaked at 11.4C but now 11.1C. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
4 hours ago, Serac said:

@ciel I hope your dog gets better quickly.

Just been out in the horizontal rain , we are stuck with it for a few days but at least it hasn't been like this all autumn as has been the case in past years.

Obligatory dog and bridge photo from walk 

20191205_161413.jpg

Beautiful dug

Football was interesting tonight..... Kids were wired in the driving wind and rain.... Apparently wind makes kids more bonkers.... Who knew.... Election day and 13th continue to look interesting... 

MR FROST you are a legend in the MT... Everytime I think something about a poster you say it... Keep it up as it needs said if only to help these poor people

This whole write off Dec and Jan because of the Indian ocean took the ultimate maddest of madhouse conclusions. 

• Like 6

Posted
11 hours ago, 101_North said:

What did we decide to call these many winters ago? 'One day wowzers' or something? Certainly dog biscuits anyway  

nonsense.thumb.png.04e4f2b53a83c19e26244db15ecadc34.png

OK! How about the 'Not even a full day wowzer'?

509103069_Screenshot_20191205-2120282.thumb.png.db725cca2343d37691599d61a4f2c4c7.png

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, 101_North said:

OK! How about the 'Not even a full day wowzer'?

509103069_Screenshot_20191205-2120282.thumb.png.db725cca2343d37691599d61a4f2c4c7.png

Something that changes as often and quickly as the mood in the mad thread  :oldlaugh:

• Like 1

Posted

Just for fun my local postcode  forecast on here has us in for a week of ice days from the 12th of December..Looks as though its going to get colder!!!!!

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Snow seems to now have disappeared from the Forecast for next week. Just cold rain.

• Like 1