Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

After yesterday's ice day the temp rose to the dizzy heights of +0.9C today. Didn't shift the frost though and now sub zero again. Nice sunset here but my photos were blurred due to light so here is one sent from my daughter's window in Glasgow. 

1D72BFDB-ACBE-4519-A211-AA61D20AEAB4.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted

A  bit cloudier up here so after the day started at 0c its now 3.5c with a moderate breeze from the west. Frost lifting all day but it has done a good job of drying up some of the mud.

• Like 6

Posted

Having experienced a power cut in -15C, i can sympathise with these guys. Hopefully resolved quickly.

Back in 2009, we had easterly winds accompanied by heavy snow for days. Eventually the power lines snapped due to ice build up. No power, no water and no heating.

Grim.

_109961067_perryscomp.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

About 8,000 homes in the Falkirk area are without heating after a gas main failure.

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
23 minutes ago, ciel said:

Had a stroll to Loch Muick today, but  have to say west is best for scenery @Mr Frost

Very nippy up there early afternoon, around -1 to 0C and a biting breeze.

A little ice art-work in a frosty hollow at the track-side.

1913310497_ice2(1of1).thumb.jpg.be84ed6950ddbeb837f453c096f82431.jpg

And a nice sky and rising a temp, 4C, on returning home.

1839375547_H3(1of1).thumb.jpg.181ac59b7c6f6f8eb529cd29b79856d3.jpg

that second one is a beauty! 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
2 hours ago, Sceptical said:

Having experienced a power cut in -15C, i can sympathise with these guys. Hopefully resolved quickly.

Back in 2009, we had easterly winds accompanied by heavy snow for days. Eventually the power lines snapped due to ice build up. No power, no water and no heating.

Grim.

_109961067_perryscomp.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

About 8,000 homes in the Falkirk area are without heating after a gas main failure.

We're (luckily) not in the affected area but my son's doing a happy dance as his school's closed. Must be rotten for those affected though. Our boiler died in 2010 so I know how they feel. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis
5 minutes ago, snowidea said:

We're (luckily) not in the affected area but my son's doing a happy dance as his school's closed. Must be rotten for those affected though. Our boiler died in 2010 so I know how they feel. 

Nae heating here since 6am. Baltic 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
11 minutes ago, BurntFishTrousers said:

That's rotten and it's not looking like a quick fix. Hope it's sorted for you soon. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, BurntFishTrousers said:

Jacob Rees-Smug was heard to say, "they all burn peat still in the north, no?"

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Min temp here last night was -3.1 C currently 0.9 C 

• Like 2

Posted

My sister came to mine at about 9pm to give me something told me it was minus 6 the reading her car was giving her so still cold but this frost unfortunately lift anytime soon really

Edited by NUT
  • Like 2

Posted

What a difference a day made

Twenty-four little hours

Horrible again this morning after a beautiful weekend! Grey and raining!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Morning all

I totally agree with what you said above @ciel regarding West is best for scenery. (Was going to mention it previously but did not want to come across as extremely biased )

Impressive minimum temperature recorded at Tulloch Bridge over the weekend. 

Well it’s going to be a wee while before I see a frosty log on the beach, frosty seaweed and a colourful sunset again. (Or even prolonged sunshine!) 

69B50433-C84A-4695-9AF8-C387FA17AEB0.thumb.jpeg.9d90986fe4957225eeecba964e1fbc35.jpegE670D3FC-560B-4D43-8FBF-2F18C390E758.thumb.jpeg.9f303b4d1445a4e241cd43be451a498e.jpeg908FB957-67AB-42C0-82E0-96B38011809A.thumb.jpeg.aa03aab2c4b312681ee92e8e5170cd3f.jpeg

Good news is colder weather returns late weekend/early Monday next week. (Good news if you like cold weather but it is so far away in terms of models/charts output so it may not happen! )

So a week of crud to get through for many of us - looks very unsettled here Wednesday and Thursday. (Gales and heavy rain - it has been a long time coming!) 

E0C716EB-CDD8-4C55-AB6D-9063C7F83510.thumb.png.daa235a646d10df673eed84874b1a4a6.png

Sean Batty’s latest thoughts.

ECM

anim_lqx6.gif

GFS

anim_soj4.gif

Pretty decent outlook for Wintry potential - much better than last December...which would not be hard!

Lastly I am looking forward to seeing the Met Office stats for November/Autumn as a whole  - released later today. 

Have a wonderful week everyone! 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Ah well, back to the normal dreichfest that is the Scottish winter! So gloomy here, massive change from Friday and Saturday. Ah well, maybe some more frosty days to come this month. Note I said frost, not SNAW! ❄❄

• Like 4

Posted
14 hours ago, snowidea said:

My boiler died Friday night so it’s been a busy weekend arranging a new one. Hopefully today!! I’ve been freezing all weekend

• Like 4

Posted

Suppose it was the fifteenth air frost at -5.0C around 1am. +2C at 6am however, and spitting with rain which was falling on very icy surfaces....

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Same here shuggee, rain falling on ice and the big puddles are still frozen solid.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Met Office Yellow warning for Rain Thursady into Friday. "Persistent heavy rain followed by showers are likely to produce some localised flooding and travel disruption"

"The rain will be accompanied by gale force southwesterly winds, with potential for gusts of 55-65 mph around coasts and hills. The rain will turn more showery overnight though further heavy and prolonged showers are likely on Friday morning. 40-60 mm of rainfall is expected widely across the warning area, but nearer 70-80 mm over the West Highlands and a few prone mountain locations could exceed 100 mm within a 30 hour period."

0212rainscotthurs.png

0212thurs.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Met Office Yellow warning for Rain Thursady into Friday. "Persistent heavy rain followed by showers are likely to produce some localised flooding and travel disruption"

"The rain will be accompanied by gale force southwesterly winds, with potential for gusts of 55-65 mph around coasts and hills. The rain will turn more showery overnight though further heavy and prolonged showers are likely on Friday morning. 40-60 mm of rainfall is expected widely across the warning area, but nearer 70-80 mm over the West Highlands and a few prone mountain locations could exceed 100 mm within a 30 hour period."

0212rainscotthurs.png

Edited by Jo Farrow
forgot image
  • Like 2