Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
22 minutes ago, shuggee said:

Twelfth air frost at -3.0C exactly. All the mud around the hoose is solid - wellies not needed at 7am.

No wellies is what I look forward to at the end of every day! Socks are minging.  

No frost here but there were some short sleety mushy showers at first light. Patchy cloud and sun now.

• Like 6

Posted

Can't complain about the long-term outlook. There is a general tendency pointing towards cold zonality after the high pressure collapses next week. Ideal conditions for scottish ski resorts in the run up to christmas and will definitely feel seasonal on lower ground. 

I'm just happy to not see endless raging south-westerlies on the model outputs, which is always a risk in December. 

climate_edinburgh.JPG

• Like 7

Posted

Back to where we we're throughout most of November. Frost last night leading to a cracker jack albeit cold day really sharp frosts next 2 nights too before another milder blip

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Still a mix of sleet and wet snaw... if these showers continue after dark im sure they would be all snaw. come on winter lets be having you. bring me my snaw...

• Like 4

Posted

And as if by magic.... SNAW IS ON. very wet but big flakes. settling to a slush mess on the car and roofs but its a start.

• Like 6

Posted
13 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Jeez, Just watched the terrorist incident on London bridge. Met police response was brutal and entirely justified.

Being a born and bred cockney im shocked at how things are down that way now. i mean when i grew up we only had the IRA to worry about and that was just bombs.. none of this stabbing etc. crazy crazy times. so glad i got away from it and my kids are safe up here in rural Aberdeenshire.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
11 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

Being a born and bred cockney im shocked at how things are down that way now. i mean when i grew up we only had the IRA to worry about and that was just bombs.. none of this stabbing etc. crazy crazy times. so glad i got away from it and my kids are safe up here in rural Aberdeenshire.

Can i come and live there too

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Temp down to 0.3 C here equaling the low of last night already.

This would be fun :spiteful:gfseuw-2-348.thumb.png.6cf85a03d811b789896497a26051a784.png gfseuw-0-348.thumb.png.ac034b3faf9b7e6faca6f74f8e14e3d5.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
3 hours ago, Mr Frost said:

Afternoon all

Lovely day again - current temperature of 3c and frost lingering in the shade up on the wee local hill. (98 meters)

Leaving my bedroom earlier I turned round to see my old squirrel friend was back and staring me out through the window once again. @Hairy Celt he/she is definitely eyeing up my nuts. (I was eating a wee bag of the pecan variety )

2F656DEC-F89B-492B-8FFB-838D6549F62C.thumb.jpeg.c222f4580c6bb6c1e8a1b5286532b3c1.jpeg4E83C63D-3520-402C-8D35-7B8402A8F3CB.thumb.jpeg.4bd62bfb8e0206abd708364d9b4e4a0f.jpeg

I quite like the outlook on the models/charts - something colder with a risk of more widespread snowfall could be brewing from the second week of December. 

ECM 

anim_yea7.gif
anim_wtc4.gif

Just for fun at that range of course but personally my favourite time of the year for cold/snow has always been mid to late December! (Perfect for the festive build up/season )

Oh and on this day in 2015 there was quite a few snow reports on here. (Sleet, thunder and lightning as well)

@edo @Ross B @Polar Gael @Northern Strath @snowidea to name a few. 

Click on the edo replied to a topic. ❄️

Have a good weekend everyone! 

Great spot it popped up in my Google pic memories this morning

I agree that outlook very encouraging in general... And whilst a Northerly struggles for here a strong NW polar flow can bring decent snow here. 

• Like 6

Posted
38 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

I understand the sentiment but Im not sure bombs were better than knives

Anyway sticking to the weather just walked to my car and its feeling baltic.... Moved training to 10am for kids tomorrow but think may still be frozen even then. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

speaking of N / NW erlys @edo a sneaky wee -12 850hpa GEFS member gens-16-0-324.thumb.png.da3781bb5306fecf922fffcdc9b8cb06.png gens-16-1-324.thumb.png.44038be90384a2883f9af729f778fdae.png

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, edo said:

I understand the sentiment but Im not sure bombs were better than knives

Anyway sticking to the weather just walked to my car and its feeling baltic.... Moved training to 10am for kids tomorrow but think may still be frozen even then. 

At least back then we had warnings not much of a warning but at least a warning.. i was caught up in the Canary Wharf bombing myself and still bare the scars from it.  and just to keep it on topic its bloody freezing outside and it looks like its gonna get colder over the weekend a mild blip and then back into the freezer...

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

speaking of N / NW erlys @edo a sneaky wee -12 850hpa GEFS member gens-16-0-324.thumb.png.da3781bb5306fecf922fffcdc9b8cb06.png gens-16-1-324.thumb.png.44038be90384a2883f9af729f778fdae.png

i'd buy that for a dollar....

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, bigsnow said:

At least back then we had warnings not much of a warning but at least a warning.. i was caught up in the Canary Wharf bombing myself and still bare the scars from it.  and just to keep it on topic its bloody freezing outside and it looks like its gonna get colder over the weekend a mild blip and then back into the freezer...

Ach we can go off topic here but not a very cheery topic comparing terrorist organisations

Just walked the dug..... Its zero outside but feels way colder and everything beautifully white already and a very noisy owl hooting away.... Lovely walk but happy to be on the couch now with the kids and a blanket and a snuggled in dug... Big sook 

20191129_201508.jpg

Edited by edo
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Sunny here today with frost lingering in the shade. -4C on my rather unreliable accurite w/s but -1.7c on the Oregon. Either way pretty cold.

Walked our "foster" dog up at Backmuir this afternoon in the Winter sunshine. A light mist above the fields as the sun went down.

6EFF44A9-0CB1-4C7C-AB68-F4D9E7DECB54.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
5 hours ago, bigsnow said:

I grew up in Northern Ireland. Hopefully you'll understand me taking a huge deep breath at this point!

• Like 2