Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Surprised to get home to find some of the overnight snow still lying, even at the front of the house which is south facing. A wintry mix on the way home from work earlier, but much more on the liquid side of the balance than this morning.  Temps between 1 & 2C most of the way home, so still on the chilly side. 

• Like 8

Posted

I was in the Inverurie area today, and I have to say it was a chilly/sleety unpleasant experience (weather wise). Drove through intermittent rain and low, blinding sunshine.

Positives were some nice skyscapes over the hills and  over the N Sea on the way home - didn't have camera on this occasion :oldmellow:.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
11 hours ago, johnholmes said:

Some really great photographs in here, thank you,keep them coming

And keep your fantastic understandable analysis coming in the model thread, one of the posters I can understand

• Like 6

Posted
5 hours ago, edo said:

And keep your fantastic understandable analysis coming in the model thread, one of the posters I can understand

Thank you very much for that, much appreciated, I do intend to keep the 500 mb anomaly charts going with the occasional post re other things.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I know I'm going to maybe regret saying this if things turn suddenly very zonal but...does anyone else slightly miss the wind? ☹️

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

I know I'm going to maybe regret saying this if things turn suddenly very zonal but...does anyone else slightly miss the wind? ☹️

Only in the respect that I've had to rake up leaves this year, whereas last year the wind deposited them in nice neat piles for me to just scoop up. 

• Like 2

Posted
51 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

I'd definitely welcome a spell of Atlantic driven weather for variety sake if nothing else. What's happened to the Autumn storms we used to get....

• Like 2

Posted

Leafs – does anyone recall pressing leafs in between pages of books. I can (just) remember collecting colourful autumnal sycamore, oak and beech leafs on the way home from school. Simple hobby, I suppose by today’s standards.

Anyway, nowadays, I let most of the leaves mulch away in the garden to enrich the poor subsoil hereabouts.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Great stuff @CatchMyDrift - ferry goes past my street!  (I am a few minutes walk from the Royal Gourock Yacht Club) Enjoyed all the pictures you posted this week - covered some distance/places and what a fantastic week of weather for it! 

Speaking of weather...glorious night for a wild camp on top of a Munro! (I can see this one from the hill behind me - very jealous of this man)

I am sure @Benvironment has done this once or twice? 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Been a bit milder here today with a max of 7.7C and a little rain this evening.

Noticed this from Matt Taylor. Rather unusual for November! Due to the Southerly tracking jet I assume.

Rain rain rain ...

...but not in #Shetland! ?

Whilst some parts of the country are under floodwater, Lerwick has only recorded 14.6mm of rain so far the month - just 10% of their November average of 146mm!

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
6 hours ago, NorthernRab said:

I like a good gale when under the duvet on the couch with the kids watching a movie or when it's blowing snow around but love no wind for being out coaching and watching the kids footy. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Morning all! :santa-emoji:

Another cold start here, lovely sunrise and great weekend of weather ahead! 

0136C51E-D8A3-4A89-8095-9B60DC85C28C.thumb.jpeg.8fc2d52194674b015ea448102756379b.jpeg

95319BB0-165F-406A-99B3-0A8BCAA928E6.thumb.jpeg.5bf0517e0cc362fe90e9e5a3ce52678f.jpeg

Also had a squirrel staring at me through the bedroom window. 

9E31C422-51FD-41E7-ABED-26CDD9C247DE.thumb.jpeg.cfd1ff90ef898eaec3a682ed7282caf7.jpeg

Have a brilliant weekend! 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
10 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Morning all! :santa-emoji:

Another cold start here, lovely sunrise and great weekend of weather ahead! 

0136C51E-D8A3-4A89-8095-9B60DC85C28C.thumb.jpeg.8fc2d52194674b015ea448102756379b.jpeg

95319BB0-165F-406A-99B3-0A8BCAA928E6.thumb.jpeg.5bf0517e0cc362fe90e9e5a3ce52678f.jpeg

Also had a squirrel staring at me through the bedroom window. 

9E31C422-51FD-41E7-ABED-26CDD9C247DE.thumb.jpeg.cfd1ff90ef898eaec3a682ed7282caf7.jpeg

Have a brilliant weekend! 

Knocker's pals relative

• Like 4

Posted

Second the comments above regarding leaves as they are all evenly spread across the garden with the lack of wind.Noticed too in the last few days one of the heavily laden holly trees has had all the berries stripped from it..Currently bright and 4.5c

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Another day another Ben Lomond sunrise...

20191116_075108.thumb.jpg.00c0c3ff3124206e74e9f388e213f615.jpg20191116_075118.thumb.jpg.bc17e6471b643c1ce212bcd8cf2ff668.jpg

Two more nights then back to some boring Borders beeches for my pics

wonderful shots, and no midges!

• Like 4

Posted

Glenshee approach road braemar side.

Temperatures at the ski centre was 1C around 1.30pm. Dull, wet with low cloud obscuring the surrounding peaks.

The second picture is the road continuing to the spital of Glenshee - Perth side. 

No sign of the snow factory modules.

20191116_134611.jpg

20191116_135333.jpg

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
On 15/11/2019 at 18:39, NorthernRab said:

Nope. Nasty wind, don't like windiness, takes all the heat away... (Home has no double glazing and work accommodation is draughty too!)

@CatchMyDrift - lovely picture of oaks there - they keep the leaves well into autumn and they have such texture as well as colour.

@Mr Frost - he's after your nuts! (Sorry)

A milder day today on the Black Isle and overcast. We did see some mergansers on the firth and they were abruptly joined by a grey seal which is an unusual sight here.  There were also some cute little ringed plovers on the shore pretending to be pebbles.

I'll get round to looking at my holiday snaps soon - there must be hundreds of Icelandic waterfalls...  and this was 11th September, albeit at about 800m. Does Iceland have weather, does the bear crap in the woods? 

IMG_3433.jpg

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

@CatchMyDrift - can't help you with the distant mountains, agreed re the concrete thing, it looks hideous, but your photos are works of art...

'the clouds, oh my god look at the clouds dad' I remember oldest young HC a long time ago at nacreous.

I was in the co-op earlier and there was father showing his toddler boy the xmas goodies. Nearly 20 years since I last had the fun of doing that - anyone out there who has wee children now, just enjoy the time cos it doesn't last.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
22 hours ago, Norrance said:

@CatchMyDrift Yes I think the higher hills to the left are the Cairngorms looking across Rannoch Moor. To the South probably Ben a Ghlo or the Drummochter Hills.

Better weather there than here near the East coast where it was cool with some rain with poor visibility. Temps topped here at 5.5C.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

@CatchMyDrift agree about the fish and chips in Oban, although being a Fifer I will say that there are plenty of good fish and chip shops here too  

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Been a long time since I had fish & chips at the seaside... dad's family came from Ainster Kirkcaldy Weather, spent a lot of school hols in Fife.

• Like 5

Posted

Another clear frosty start to the day, I've now lost count of how many that's been this month. Very different from what many of our more southerly cousins have been experiencing. 

• Like 6