Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
2 hours ago, biggreyface said:

And if you stand on the right hand side of the car with the wipers set on auto you get a nice cold shower as well which I found out last week

sorry for being of topic has anyone got all season tyres fitted to their car and if so any good recommendations size 245 45 19 T.I.A

On a snowy day,  3 months after passing their test one of my children, became the first 2wd car to get into a ski resort car park,  thanks to Goodyear Vector 4 Season tyres,  with no fuss no drama, having never driven in snow before. 

I personally can vouch for Nokian Weatherproofs, but I think you would be amazed by the performance of any modern premium all weather tyre in snow. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer!
3 hours ago, Sceptical said:

Snowing at Braemar.

image.jpg

That's pretty much my front door.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Alternating between moderate sleet and snow here at the moment. Whoohooo

• Like 3

Posted

Took doggie for a (short) bracing walk in Glen Clova this afternoon. On the way home I noticed from a distance these fingers of low cloud creeping over the Cairn o Mount area.

2626351_mist(1of1).thumb.jpg.b42d1d2ccf80d58a1e86fc3149ebb905.jpg

• Like 9

Posted

I really do need to get a new weather station at some point, hate not at least being able to see the outside temperature. Anyway I've just been out to replenish the wood basket as the wood burner has been going since early afternoon. Doesn't feel too chilly out as it's calm, but things noticeably beginning to ice up gain under the clear skies. Earlier snow shower was short lived and didn't settle. One that came later was sleety at best. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
8 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

I really do need to get a new weather station at some point, hate not at least being able to see the outside temperature. 

Same here, trying to save up for one, spotted this one on Amazon which will probably be the one I go for.

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Free delivery and returns on eligible orders. Buy Waldbeck Halley Professional Weather Station - 6-in-1 Weather Measurements, Indoor...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
14 hours ago, Ravelin said:

No hangover here, but an equally cold looking (not ventured out) start to the day with a hard frost giving everything a coat of white. 

Oh, and it's currently snowing heavily on the ski slopes at Schladming, Austria where we're heading for Xmas. Hopefully it'll not only last, but keep snowing so my webcam obsession can be enjoyed. 

I like Schladming. The only place I have gone straight to skiing from an all nighter in the pub. Can be pretty cold and being North facing gets icy if no recent snow but they have about the best pisters in the world. Great red runs for blasting down. 
Feeling cold here today with a light shower or two in the late afternoon. 4C.

edit. Also well worth a wee trip to Haus for a day or two.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
53 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I need one but I am thinking just a thermometer would do fine, I had a quick look but couldn't see any stand-alone efforts.

Had a quick look, not sure if any of these are of use.

WWW.WEATHERSHOP.CO.UK

Wireless forecaster station with radio controlled time, forecast, in & out temperature & max min records. Buy with confidence from Weather...

WWW.WEATHERSHOP.CO.UK

Oregon Scientific BAR218HGX Weather@Home Wireless Weather Station with Bluetooth. Buy with confidence from Weather Shop –...

WWW.WEATHERSHOP.CO.UK

The Ultra Thin Weather Station is the height of design with its sleek profile and lustrous white finish. Ideal for use on a desk, on a wall, or next to...

Posted

Coldest night of the autumn last night with a minimum of -4.5c.

Stunning start to the day with plenty of hoar frost on the ground, calm conditions and even a bit of hazy sunshine - cracking day to be outside, though ground conditions not the best for the kids football session going by the number of bloody knees by the end of the game!

More in the way of cloud in the afternoon and a few light showers of rain, max of 4c.

Temperature now -1.1c and ground conditions lethally icy thanks to those afternoon rain showers.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Thanks @Kirkcaldy Weather, the 2nd one looked good for my needs. I'll get it after my hols

Just bought that exact one earlier today 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
2 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Let me know how you get on with it, please.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

-3.3c at 7.30 this morning. Temp now beginning to creep up. We've had a few dustings of snow on the Cuillin this week, nothing to lower levels. Depending which forecast I look at I'm due for a snowfall overnight. Nah! More than likely to be sleet! Off out for a walk with fried and her doggie later. Too good a day to stay indoors!

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Woke up to a very very slight dusting this morning. i shouted out to the kids SNAW!!! they came running downstairs dressed for a snawball fight. bless them 

• Like 6

Posted

The day started with a frost here but its quickly disappeared in all but deep shade now. Hardly a cloud in the sky and no wind so feeling nice in the sun. Unless we're due some high winds soon, to neatly gather them all up for me, I might have to get the rake out to sort out my leaf 'problem'. 

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

Woke up to a very very slight dusting this morning. i shouted out to the kids SNAW!!! they came running downstairs dressed for a snawball fight. bless them 

When it was snowing here yesterday I went into my 12yr old sons room and pointed out of the window. He reluctantly dragged himself away from the Xbox to glance out the window and say.. "so what, it was snowing yesterday". 

As far as I'm concerned now, I HAVE NO SON. 

• Like 8

Posted

Cold, crisp, no wind and hardly a cloud in the sky. Car which sits in the shade is still frozen. 

In the absence if snow, you can't beat a winters day (albeit one in late autumn) like this. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

My god Ravelin- YOU PICKED UP THE WRONG WEE BLUE BUNDLE! TAKE IT BACK!

• Like 5

Posted

Ninth air frost at -1.8°C.

Was snowing when I went to bed at 0.5/-2°C but simply made surfaces wet. Above 300m this morning there's a dusting.

Snow/sleet/rain later. Who knows. 

• Like 6

Posted

Seems like winter has started early and is here to stay hailstones and a few flakes of snow overnight froze to all surfaces this morning. Frost still lying in the shade.Took all cows and calves in yesterday . Calves got a pneumonia vaccine but all were happy to be in on golden straw last night. Much easier to feed not having to negotiate deep mud to feed them. Must be one of the coldest starts to November up here for a few years  and still no hope of getting onto the saturated fields. I believe only 25% of winter wheat has been sown in England because of the very wet autumn so many of these fields will be sown in spring crops such as barley which means the price for this will probably go down as  it will be overproduced. Currently 4c

• Like 9

Posted

Is snow forecast for this evening? 

I'm just north of Glasgow near Killearn 

clouding over just now 

radar showing the front to the west approaching 

Edited by Frozen Britain

Posted
37 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I think you might miss out. The Euro4 is forecasting snow for north of Loch Lomond, Glencoe, Tyndrum, Killin areas. You will probably be sleet at best unless you're quite high up. However, fingers crossed, you never know

Cheers catch 

how about this coming week? 

Wednesday look good? 

Posted
2 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The GFS has chopped and changed the week's forecast so who knows? The 12z is coming up now so we can see what the latest guess is lol

What is it showing? 

a forecast can be wrong