Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Morning all!

It is that time of the year again...viewing the Loch Morlich/Aviemore webcams while crying into my porridge! 

Ski Scotland Snow Conditions. Scottish Snow and Mountain Sports, ski reports and webcams

731BBFA6-4E8F-4952-B81F-6CE6DB7A81EB.thumb.jpeg.af2009c8e41a30d2d19700892458dbd1.jpegB8D62B6B-4625-4A91-A1E9-91411F91610F.thumb.jpeg.4330e6594e7e01f194d8a983c7a71a3f.jpeg25803BB7-A0F3-4482-B4F4-85D74651E616.thumb.jpeg.f7490d107146b912d85603543cc5a6bf.jpeg

@CatchMyDrift heartbreaking stuff regarding all that lovely snowfall at elevation (400 meters and above?) heading for Wales rather than Scotland! I had a Saturday of snow fun planned up on the local hills/mountains! Looks as though it will only make it to the Isles which is even more annoying as I am very near the West Coast.

All you lucky folk who have snow currently - enjoy! :santa-emoji:

And all the folk buying wood hope you get a good deal - @Sceptical should be due some commission! 

Have a good weekend! 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 6

Posted

Lovely morning! 1c and very icy when I left due to the rain yesterday evening. I cycled for the first time in 3 years - lovely morning to be out. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Busy busy morning... started with a drive into Aberdeen.. got caught in total whiteout conditions in Rothienorman and it was sticking to everything..

• Like 8

Posted

Cold, crisp and not a cloud in the sky. Felt a pretty hard frost this morning compared to other frosty morning so far this season. Going over the hill to work was noticeably icy for the first time this year.

Good to see the first notable snow pics of the season also. Reminds me I've still to find myself some winter tyres. 

On the firewood question I've only had the woodburner since last year but have been using kiln dried mixed hardwood logs from a local supplier. They generally burn well and last a long time. Occasionally there is one that won't burn but most of the wood is good. 1.2m3 loose filled for £115 in these parts. Starting to build up a supply of free stuff for future years.

Edited by JamesM
  • Like 4

Posted

A maximum of 4c today with sunny intervals and showers.  Some beefy showers out to the NE. 003.thumb.JPG.9cd91e4fec513515fd30ee80d26856bf.JPG

Even a spell when memories of December 2010 were brought back as black menacing cloud came in off the Firth from the NE this time with rain.004.thumb.JPG.eb8f6ea16e0a3e9a504e5e11f7737d3c.JPG

A picture of the frozen snow from earlier this morning.001.thumb.JPG.da54e2f6fb676d10fae3b586831e3bdf.JPG

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 6

Posted

Down to -1.5c now and all surface water now icing up.The drying process begins.

• Like 3

Posted
7 hours ago, bigsnow said:

@Sceptical what news on the wood front buddy??

This years bagged and seasoned hardwood sold out at the start of Autumn. He doesn't do delivery so a 4x4 with trailer will be required to collect.

Left him with my number and that was it.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

This years bagged and seasoned hardwood sold out at the start of Autumn. He doesn't do delivery so a 4x4 with trailer will be required to collect.

Left him with my number and that was it.

Thank you for going to the trouble and effort of asking. at the prices he is charging im not surprised he sold out.. 

• Like 1

Posted

A hard frost this morning, -1C at present, frozen puddles and slippery leaf litter.

Nature always provides interesting colour contrasts, this morning an orange sunrise and purple clouds.

• Like 8

Posted

Oh and in weather news.... it's brass monkeys out there this morning... stunning frost and very refreshing to breve in that cold air. hangover what hangover. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

No hangover here, but an equally cold looking (not ventured out) start to the day with a hard frost giving everything a coat of white. 

Oh, and it's currently snowing heavily on the ski slopes at Schladming, Austria where we're heading for Xmas. Hopefully it'll not only last, but keep snowing so my webcam obsession can be enjoyed. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 7

Posted

Frosty, and Baltic after an overnight low of -4c. Let the car scraping commence. None of this start the car and leave the engine running nonsense the neighbours get up to! Where's the fun in that

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 6

Posted
9 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Frosty, and Baltic after an overnight low of -4c. Let the car scraping commence. None of this start the car and leave the engine running nonsense the neighbours get up to! Where's the fun in that

The ice & frost on my car yesterday morning was virtually impregnable so I'd to resort to the de-icer left over from last year. A typical case of where its obviously been raining/sleeting onto a cold surface then freezing, as evidenced by lots of frozen droplets all over the bodywork. Even with the de-icer, and the engine running, it took a bit of effort with the scraper before I got going. 

Love it though, only every beaten by having to throw clothes on over your PJs to go clear the cars and driveway of snow before breakfast. 

• Like 3

Posted

i can see snaw falling over the hill out front of my house... is it coming my way.? 

• Like 5

Posted

Quick way to de-ice a car.

Pour cold water over your windscreen and stick on your wipers.

Takes seconds.

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms
12 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Quick way to de-ice a car.

Pour cold water over your windscreen and stick on your wipers.

Takes seconds.

And if you stand on the right hand side of the car with the wipers set on auto you get a nice cold shower as well which I found out last week

sorry for being of topic has anyone got all season tyres fitted to their car and if so any good recommendations size 245 45 19 T.I.A

• Like 7

Posted

Eighth air frost at -3.6°C. I think because it's been cool or cold now for a while, it's really got into the bricks - heating takes a while to have an effect!

• Like 6

Posted
54 minutes ago, biggreyface said:

And if you stand on the right hand side of the car with the wipers set on auto you get a nice cold shower as well which I found out last week

sorry for being of topic has anyone got all season tyres fitted to their car and if so any good recommendations size 245 45 19 T.I.A

Ive got a full set of Verdstren Quadrac (or something that sounds like that) on my ASX. Got them before last winter and they seem fine. We actually had a few decent snow events here last winter and I never had a problem on the roads even in some pretty dodgy condition. My ASX is  4WD version though, which probably helped. 

• Like 2