Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Oooh think I know that one. It's a very pretty house.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm in the peasant hovels down the road a bit..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

i shall go back on after the hairy bikers have finished and see if i can confirm..

• Like 1

Posted

Right so they didn't name the place but was built in 1935 by a local mill owner and not a river near by but it's own lake..

20191008_210456.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

right so the edit button has just gone from my previous posts... anybody help with that?

Edited by bigsnow

Posted

Yep Bigsnow that's the one. It's far nicer in reality, very nice I wouldn't mind it meself. Got a lottery ticket too...

We were up in Edinburgh and it was a very cold wind - the cranes in the St James Centre were off, their alarms all going with the wind.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I didn't know / hadn't been told you were getting it so wet recently... bummer, especially as we had generally good weather on the windy island. Apart from a few hectic mornings when the winds picked up, backed 180 degrees in a couple of hours and gusted to force 7 while we tried to decamp. The weather gods have an evil sense of humour they reserve for campers.

I've settled briefly in central southern Sweden... crikey it's flat here!

Name this song: 'Sweden, the only country where the clouds are interesting' and that's one of the reasons I'm here, strange enough. However yesterday there were no clouds and today there was leaden stratus and rain. Tomorrow perhaps?

Yesterday I visited Tivedens nationalpark which is a large bit of conifer forest that's escaped exploitation because it's a mess of glacial debris and completely unmanageable. Here's the blaeberry in fine autumn colours:Tivedens1.thumb.jpg.990534340dd44d82f84087bcbb334f39.jpg

and some upside down trees in a small stream Tivedens2.thumb.jpg.963069830202907e39b5a361324235d9.jpg

I hope to get out for some more pictures tomorrow, possibly see Hugh's clouds.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
25 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

right so the edit button has just gone from my previous posts... anybody help with that?

you have to edit within about 30 minutes of first posting I think. (type a bit faster!)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Hello folks,

As per this thread, I hope to post some juicy sat pics when Scotland gets hammered with the lows this winter.  In meantime, this was decoded not long ago. Cheers.

10082023.jpg

noaa18.JPG

Edited by BurntFishTrousers
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Afternoon all

Well after the glorious Autumnal few days last week of chilly days, cold mornings/nights, light winds and sunshine...we have got the more wild side of Autumn! 

Call me mad...but I’m quite enjoying it! 
It’s not too bad here - blustery wind, sunshine and short lived torrential downpours.
More of the same for the rest of this week.

These three pictures I took earlier sum it all up!  (Not sure if panorama pictures work properly on here - first picture)

737B748B-7432-45BE-9D71-2BA2CCE1663D.thumb.jpeg.64a685c6b8896e86f2121d9ccaad3992.jpeg5C52F2BA-3F88-488A-961F-763F4B9E3475.thumb.jpeg.635eeecb7282863e0ee0a0705f92de5a.jpegE86EDAAF-F776-427A-A281-FD44D152965A.thumb.jpeg.f6f21a440869cf5fd9cd67663a3a23a9.jpeg

Have a good day everyone!

• Like 6

Posted

Finally into a spell of prevailing SW winds which in our neck of the woods means mostly dry .So in spite of the wind  outside working conditions are improving all the time and its neither too warm or too cool for physical work. Just over half the cows calved so its better for the calves too stay dry. The wind can really wind the calves up sending them racing down the field.followed in hot persuit by their mothers. Currenlly a strong wind and 11c

• Like 4

Posted

Been in a bit of a dry period for a few hours and for the first time in what seems like for ever my patio is dry, looking at the radar its not gonna last long.

• Like 2

Posted

So with the move back up to Aberdeenshire only 3 weeks away i thought it best to let sky know so they can move my services over. well to my surprise sky are still unable to supply broadband to my address. line issues meaning they cannot offer a minimum speed. so back to BT i go and they say "of course sir not a problem" speed will be between 1 and 3 meg... ultra slow broadband just like before. i guess i was hoping things had changed over the last 2 years but nope.... lucky for me im a sky mobile customer so can watch sky on my phone without wifi and not eat into my mobile data.. football days are going to be fun. 

Posted
19 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

We used to be with Sky/BT and the line speed was way less than 1M. We had to plan 2 days in advance if we wanted to download a film. We are now with a company called Briskona who use a line of sight wifi thingy which sounds a bit dodgy but it delivers 10M. I don't think Briskona operate in your area but there is a good chance another company does. It might be worth researching it before you move as BT saying 1 to 3M will probs mean a real speed of 0.5M or less.

stupid thing is the house at the end of farm road that looks out onto main road has sky fibre... its only 0.8 miles away from my house. bt have given a 1M guarantee and when we lived in the same house before it was ok for general use and like you say downloads would take 24 to 48 hours but thats ok with me.. and if slow wifi keeps the dustbin lids off you tube etc then that cannot be a bad thing either. they will have to go outside and play in the fresh air on bikes and climb trees etc..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Well what a surprise! Woke to clear skies and NO RAIN! Off course it won't last do best get up and on before it arrives. ☔

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

@bigsnow have a look at mobile broadband. Depending on signal strength of the different mobile networks where you are moving to it could be a realistic option. Prices have really dropped recently, £20-30/mth, and perhaps more importantly nearly all the networks are offering 'unlimited' data plans. Google "kens tech tips" for more information.

We have an often dodgy 5 meg land line connection, with it being a direct line to the exchange so little current prospect of BT putting in a fibre  cabinet somewhere closer and connecting us to it. Mobile signal is poor inside our house, but not too bad outside, especially on EE network. A quick test with my phone suggests I could get at least 15 meg 4G with a mobile router and an outside antenna on the side of the house. I'd probably go for it if, due to two house moves, I wasn't tied into Plusnet for at least another year (free switches = longer contract ). Even so, it might be worth the extra cost for a while just to try to stop the angry shouts from my son's bedroom when he lags out in Fortnight. 

In weather news, virtually cloudless and windless this morning. Absolutely glorious! . 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
55 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

@Kirkcaldy Weather on a twitter mission over in the snow and ice thread, brilliant stuff. 

I find twitter is the best place to find those snowy pics and vids :oldgrin: of course it wont be long before we are all posting our own pictures of blizzards and 10 feet snow drifts .... :whistling: :oldlaugh:  

• Like 3

Posted

very wet afternoon here in crieff. on a good note the new Aldi has opened today and they are giving away free bags for life to each customer. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
8 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Ladies and gentleladdies, may the snow chase season commence:

1690847693_Screenshot_20191011-081329_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.0092916a8c845843bc150c903709a66e.jpg1843553711_Screenshot_20191011-081239_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.42b76e0b6e7f060f8cb988c8a17d4d9f.jpg

Looks awfy dry to me

At the moment I'm just keeping an eye on the ensemble graphs and wondered what the GFS had done at the end. Must come with a huge health warning, as not only is it so far out time wise, it's so far out of sync with its own ensemble suite. Would be nice though. 

In the meantime I'm happy enough if the weather keep going as it is, here at least. Another sunny start to the day after what was a fabulous day yesterday. With all the trees starting to change (our rowan are already bare) it would be nice for them not to be stripped prematurely by a gale. 

• Like 5