Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted

After a more peaceful morning the breeze has perked up again. Watched the clearer weather infiltrating from the north.

clear.thumb.jpg.ac9bf4e3c4bdb7a6f7329f4f6b6c6d16.jpg

Edited by reef
Please stick to the weather. We dont want politics discussion on the forum. Thanks
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
35 minutes ago, ciel said:

Funny how reasonable discussion about  scottish issues gets disappeared.  

That's just silly. I posted a reply to that and it was deleted. Nobody on this thread would have had an issue with anything posted there. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

i step away for a watch of the cricket, what did i miss? also in other news the move North to Aberdeenshire has been brought forward by 8 weeks so will now be in on the 1st of November.. Landlord tells me it snaws almost every winter at some point. i cant wait, bring it on.

• Like 6

Posted

Fabulous hay day for mid September very windy for the last two days and today sunny with very low humidity and wind although a bit cool in the wind. In spite of yesterday evenings heavy rain the hay was dry again by this morning in the strong  overnight wind and got better all day.

Hay season finally over and this last batch is very good .Will post a photo tomorrow.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

@Kirkcaldy Weather I really hope you are onto something with the posts about Winter monthly temperatures because the ECMWF and Metoffice (GloSea5) are absolute shockers for Winter prospects! 

Not even posting or linking those outlooks as I don’t want @bigsnow having a breakdown! 

This Winter I am just going with the flow - look at charts five to seven days away at most and basically hope for the best!  (I say that but no doubt I will be checking the CFS 9 monthly charts for any hint of snow! )

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
2 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

@Mr Frost breakdown in a good or bad way?

Very bad mate! But we all know long range forecasts are a load of nonsense so let’s just see what happens! Plus you will be getting tons of snow up Aberdeenshire at that altitude I’m sure. 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
23 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

@Kirkcaldy Weather I really hope you are onto something with the posts about Winter monthly temperatures because the ECMWF and Metoffice (GloSea5) are absolute shockers for Winter prospects! 

Not even posting or linking those outlooks as I don’t want @bigsnow having a breakdown! 

This Winter I am just going with the flow - look at charts five to seven days away at most and basically hope for the best!  (I say that but no doubt I will be checking the CFS 9 monthly charts for any hint of snow! )

I am interested to see how close / far away it ends up being but the fact the the same years appear for a few of the months makes me think it could possibly be onto something, and obviously I am finding it hard to stay level headed due to the fact it appears to indicate easterly(s)  as for those long range models tbh I dont really take them into account and always remind myself how quickly some of our best recent cold spells developed 2010 and BFTE etc. Also interesting that Gavs analogues also seem to suggest easterly(s) 

Also just noticed that DECEMBER 1919 is another month that shows up multiple times "1918-20 saw deep snow in London twice, one fall being 9 inches. Scotland also recorded large falls, as did the Midlands and North of England. September saw snow in Dartmoor! A snowy period."

Edited by Kirkcaldy Weather
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Mr Frost said:

Very bad mate! But we all know long range forecasts are a load of nonsense so let’s just see what happens! Plus you will be getting tons of snow up Aberdeenshire at that altitude! 

Long range forecasts..... if we got what they said every winter at some point we would all be bored of snaw.... if anything im glad they are showing a very bad winter for snaw as we normally get the complete opposite... so i expect 90 days of snaw and ice..

• Like 3

Posted

im gonna go back over the last few winters Scotland threads just for a bit of fun. will be good to see the snaw pictures... blimey i must be sad. or really bored or really bored and sad...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
15 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

Long range forecasts..... if we got what they said every winter at some point we would all be bored of snaw.... if anything im glad they are showing a very bad winter for snaw as we normally get the complete opposite... so i expect 90 days of snaw and ice..

I agree. Last year we had early hype, which largely came to nothing. Then we had mid-winter hype, which largely came to nothing. Then we had late winter hype, which largely came to nothing, All the long-range pointers, analogues, El-Nino/Nina, Atlantic SSTs, PDO, SSW.......when it comes to actual snow on the ground, there's just too many 'complications' and unknowns. I'm with @Mr Frost, I'll look at the models for a week ahead, and only get excited if any cold spell makes it into the 3 day range.

Oh and welcome back the the 'Shire @bigsnow, despite what I've just said, we actually had a couple of memorable snow events up here. Including one where we had enough snow to make a ski run in the garden.

• Like 4

Posted

@bigsnow have a read through from the first page of this thread! 

Here is a cracker of an outlook...one of the biggest letdowns in my history of looking forward to a Winter outlook...

On 09/01/2019 at 12:59, Mr Frost said:

Now this is what I like to see!!! ❄️

About bloody time! ☃️

32000C05-FD9C-4DC6-80F3-9BA44BE7CF34.png

Oh and I hope @MoreSnow comes back for Winter - he loves it more than anyone!  Wonder what he is up to nowadays! 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

@bigsnow have a read through from the first page of this thread! 

Here is a cracker of an outlook...one of the biggest letdowns in my history of looking forward to a Winter outlook...

Oh and I hope @MoreSnow comes back for Winter - he loved it more than anyone!  Wonder what he is up to nowadays! 

maybe he is moving.....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
9 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

@Ravelin what do you mean welcome back? have i lived there before? do you know something many dont?

I just have this sneaky suspicion, or I'm psychic and you lived here in a previous life, maybe as a Jacobite rebel, or maybe I'm just getting my lines crossed. Who knows? If Buckfast sales in the 'Shire suddenly spike around November then maybe it's the first of those three possible scenarios.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Ravelin said:

I just have this sneaky suspicion, or I'm psychic and you lived here in a previous life, maybe as a Jacobite rebel, or maybe I'm just getting my lines crossed. Who knows? If Buckfast sales in the 'Shire suddenly spike around November then maybe it's the first of those three possible scenarios.

Maybe a Jacobite rebel drinking Buckfast.... maybe. who knows?? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

@Mr Frost did you have to bring up the failed easterly   one of the biggest things that made me laugh was when some people were thinking the BFTE was going to be a "dry" easterly   a -20 850 hpa cold pool not a chance that was going to be dry. archives-2018-2-28-0-1.thumb.png.bd8cf7e0a8e45854044dacacbd11f303.png

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

@Mr Frost did you have to bring up the failed easterly   one of the biggest things that made me laugh was when some people were thinking the BFTE was going to be a "dry" easterly   a -20 850 hpa cold pool not a chance that was going to be dry. archives-2018-2-28-0-1.thumb.png.bd8cf7e0a8e45854044dacacbd11f303.png

Memories........... most amazing week of my life that was... the only dry thing about it was when i ran out of buckfast and beer after day 2.... i was dry the next 4 days....

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

I know! Still haunts my dreams! 

Yes it was very dry in the end... These were from Gourock...( I didn’t live here at that time) Just shows you how far West it all got! Incredible spell of proper Winter weather!

First link below is a video time lapse.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Gourock/permalink/10156180473234140?sfns=mo

2nd picture (bottom of my street) and 3rd (two minute walk from Gourock train station) are bonkers - both by the water! 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , blizzards and proper winter weather

On a completely different  note just been out in the garden at 11.15 beautiful starry night with half concealed moon, but moving rough fully se to NW  very high was a bright light think moving to quick by far for a plane just wondered if anyone spotted it. Checked space station route but not near here by all accounts .  Anyone any idea what it could have been?

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Highland Blizzard said:

On a completely different  note just been out in the garden at 11.15 beautiful starry night with half concealed moon, but moving rough fully se to NW  very high was a bright light think moving to quick by far for a plane just wondered if anyone spotted it. Checked space station route but not near here by all accounts .  Anyone any idea what it could have been?

you do know its only 21.33 right?