Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted

Another dreich damp day with drizzle and low cloud  and currently 15c. More unseen gesse overhead today heading south probably not local as I thought yesterday as another farmer has heard and seen the same.He reckons they are two weeks early.Are they forecasting an early winter?

• Like 4

Posted
26 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Another dreich damp day with drizzle and low cloud  and currently 15c. More unseen gesse overhead today heading south probably not local as I thought yesterday as another farmer has heard and seen the same.He reckons they are two weeks early.Are they forecasting an early winter?

Pink-footed geese have arrived 2 weeks earlier than usual at the Montrose Basin - around 100 have been counted.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
2 hours ago, ciel said:

Pink-footed geese have arrived 2 weeks earlier than usual at the Montrose Basin - around 100 have been counted.

is that a good or bad sign? i guess it depends on what kind of winter you are after...

Posted
28 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

is that a good or bad sign? i guess it depends on what kind of winter you are after...

I've now idea, bigsnow. There's quite a lot of folklore around migratory pattern of geese. I suppose they must have decided weather conditions were favourable at the time.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
15 hours ago, bigsnow said:

They come here from Iceland and Greenland so an early migration most likely a reflection of how the weather and feeding conditions are there rather than here.  Cold in those areas is not always good for cold here and likewise warmth there does not mean warmth here. Rather cool here today. Wonder if the highest tops have any snow this morning?

Edited by Norrance
Sp.
  • Like 6

Posted

On the topic of geese, I had a very brief visit to Montrose yesterday and was advised that the Pink-footed species had arrived along with 1000+ Canada geese, which is interesting as I understood they, the Canada geese, were a mainly sedentary species. 

A downhill day weatherwise here. After a bright start, now grey, with a spit of rain and cool.

Yesterday evening's sunset - looking NE.

Ssu2.thumb.jpg.a32078cd128620f6ae5b724e0dd00a05.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
2 hours ago, Norrance said:

They come here from Iceland and Greenland so an early migration most likely a reflection of how the weather and feeding conditions are there rather than here.  Cold in those areas is not always good for cold here and likewise warmth there does not mean warmth here. Rather cool here today. Wonder if the highest tops have any snow this morning?

@Northernlights @ciel @bigsnow https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-49551044

"Wild geese change routes to cope with climate change"

Really heavy rain last night and showery so far today, tonight still looking pretty chilly.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Strong winds are now affecting the west and north coasts with gusts in Milovaig touching 70mph.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 5

Posted

Lots more geese today.See quite a bit of fresh snow in Svalbard.Possibly a trigger for sending them south although a north wind this afternoon helps as well.Very changeble today blue skies one minute then very dark moody skies with showery  rain as it is just now Definitely cooler at 9c

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

More sunshine than rain today! First time I have said that in a while! 

Very blustery currently - gusts to 40mph. Quite a few yachts rocking side to side - very choppy out on the water.

One or two Lenticular clouds about currently.

C0F8E074-D3AE-4659-8476-5288C847C9FF.thumb.jpeg.c516777d2b241588fe40853dd5760278.jpeg

Really looking forward to a sunny and dry day on Saturday! (Hopefully that does not change)

1A1681E1-B687-4B38-A242-1E8306D0B2E7.thumb.png.d6a8a33b00f71a38037d514bde2daed1.png

Outlook wise still hoping/praying for a couple of warm/hot sunny days this month - live in hope! 

• Like 7

Posted

Noticed this quite impressive lenticular formation this evening - rushed the camera settings - so a bit fuzzy.:oldmellow:

L1.thumb.jpg.9db03af702eadac60a3124c4d4c3e1f5.jpg

• Like 9

Posted

Cool start today at 7c still dull and rain not far away.No combines have moved for about a week now and there  is still about half the cereal crop to cut in the area.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just had a short sharp shower. Sunny now but the next one already appearing over the trees and houses behind. 15C.

Re the naming if storms. I don't really mind either way. I do get a bit surprised just how angry some people (not in this section) seem to get about it. The weather will be the same in any case. 

17B4EC55-F206-4BFF-84AD-A39D3B303B96.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
7 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I left work under a huge shower this morning with that really feathery fine heavy rain which looks not too bad from inside:

20190906_070418.thumb.jpg.42e3d963969546bbec45c6afbb91b8ee.jpg

To get home 10 miles away under blue skies looking back at the top of the shower:

20190906_071931.thumb.jpg.dce1177f58a97f22861c08331e5bf837.jpg

What do you all think of the new storm name list? Anyone against the idea? At least this year we're moving towards some continuity across Europe to avoid confusion with the UK, Ireland & Dutch Met-Offices adopting the same naming system. 

storms-release.thumb.jpg.ea95f9c9656b4187b6976955439dbb5f.jpg

Dont see a storm Baw Bag..... i mean Brendan... I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad didnt he leave for Leicester??

Edited by bigsnow
  • Like 1

Posted

Just seen the first combine out tonight after 8 days of no go because of rain cutting standing wheat,flat crops to wet.

Read on another farmers twitter tonight feed that the Agricutural and Horticultural Development Board have just published figures and graphs to suggest that August in Scotland has been the wettest since 1910.Still half of Scotlands cereal crop to cut a lot of which is flat to the ground and needs strong dryng winds to rescue it.

Certainly feels like that here especially the first half with fields again too  wet to travel over this last week. Some very heavy showers overnight last night but slowly drying out today in the fresh wind..

• Like 7

Posted

Didn't take long for the Express to start with the Billy bull sh#t headlines did it..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Very decent day here today, letting me spend most of it tidying up the garden. Hopefully get the grass cut tomorrow, possibly last of the year? 

• Like 2

Posted
37 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Same here, cars white.

Now that I'm actually up and able to look out of a window there's frost on the shed roof and the shaded corner of the garden!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Possibly a touch of frost here too looking out of the window. Could just be a heavy dew, and I'm being lazy so not going out to check. Certainly nice and sunny. 

• Like 3