Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
28 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Thought that it was quite windy here but saw this tweet from Luxembourg.

Holy shelingerloids that looks painful!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Radar is looking very interesting for many of us - thought the lightning might die out but it’s definitely not!

0F836142-F988-4495-8DC0-9DDE060B5B7B.thumb.png.fbbef4102132c46a934ebb33772df6d2.png

Debating running up the hill!

Great picture and nice open view @CatchMyDrift

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Wee bit damp: 35.8mm in 7 hours.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Good stuff is going to be East/South East of me - heads up @Stormeh Barrhead might be very well placed!

FD7AE405-3D69-4093-9C34-DB47E9A09EC1.thumb.png.c699da34d92c45d2f0223702a7dcb821.png

@Sunshineandshowers84 same issue with low cloud here and drizzle currently! Would not be able to see a thing in any direction.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 5

Posted

The worst of the rain eased off maybe 90 mins ago but the cloudbase is pretty much sea level and there's thick drizzle blowing in off the firth. Our moat receded before it got as far as the sticks shed today.

• Like 5

Posted
11 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

The worst of the rain eased off maybe 90 mins ago but the cloudbase is pretty much sea level and there's thick drizzle blowing in off the firth. Our moat receded before it got as far as the sticks shed today.

yes here as well just hope for some thunderstorms tomorrow Afternoon/evening 

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, Sunshineandshowers84 said:

I can just make out the anvil of that cloud south of East Kilbride now obscured by lower cloud. It appears to be possibly East Ayrshire where it borders Dumfries & Galloway that area. It could dissipate by the time it gets here..

Confirmed report of thunder in Kilmarnock so its getting closer. 

Im just across the M77 from @Stormeh so hoping it makes it here! 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ross B said:

Confirmed report of thunder in Kilmarnock so its getting closer. 

Im just across the M77 from @Stormeh so hoping it makes it here! 

Nice one! You crossed my mind when looking at the radar but wasn’t sure of location!

Hopefully you see some action! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Some of the heaviest rain i’ve had here in 10 years this evening. Almost came into the house it was running down the yard that fast

Decent day here once the rain passed through, hit 21c and sunny but it has gone rapidly downhill. The true meaning of torrential to the point where it took 3 towels to dry half the kitchen as a window had been left open due to the earlier warmth

Said shower is heading WNW towards Glasgow or just to the West 

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
34 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Good stuff is going to be East/South East of me - heads up @Stormeh Barrhead might be very well placed!

FD7AE405-3D69-4093-9C34-DB47E9A09EC1.thumb.png.c699da34d92c45d2f0223702a7dcb821.png

@Sunshineandshowers84 same issue with low cloud here and drizzle currently! Would not be able to see a thing in any direction.

I am at work just now in East Kilbride, will take a break soon and see if can see anything :)

• Like 2

Posted

@Huntforsnow you might get lucky if it all swings a bit South West.

I am also currently hanging out my window looking in all directions now!

Torrential rain now - lightning seems to be dying off! 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

Posted

Ayrshire daily news on Facebook has a video of that storm causing flash flooding in Cumnock. Kilmarnock about to get hit by some extreme rain/hail from that cell.

Torrential rain approaching South Glasgow but I've only heard one rumble of thunder so far. 

• Like 3

Posted

No thunder here but the rain is unreal, water starting to leak through the roof of the work warehouse.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
23 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

This is more of an outlook than a certain forecast as tomorrow will likely be an ever changing and complex setup with this deep low moving across the UK image.thumb.png.c85f384ab63cbf1a6388f618bcde79ee.png

Yellow zone = flood risk due to a band of heavy rain moving across the country tomorrow morning, and especially for us east coasters very unpleasant with a strong easterly wind accompanying the rain.

Orange zone = most likely areas to monitor for thunderstorm development tomorrow afternoon / evening as moderate amounts of CAPE build after the early band of rain clears, doubts for me will be how quickly the cloudy skies move away and let the sun / convection develop and also the winds will be due to switch from an easterly (thunderstorm killer)  to a southerly especially further south / west in the orange zone, also I would put the chances of funnels / tornadoes as a lower risk ATM but the threat could exist should the storms develop, main risks with the storms likely to be intense rainfall again leading to more flooding and lightning.

Best things will be to keep an eye on the radar and xc weather for that switch in wind direction.  

Flooding risk played out as expected with Arbroath, St Andrews etc experiencing flooding https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/perth-kinross/953931/flooding-hits-roads-across-tayside-and-fife-with-rivers-and-communites-at-risk-in-perthshire/ https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/dundee/954089/video-footage-shows-flooding-turning-main-road-between-dundee-and-angus-into-river/ https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/angus-mearns/954197/river-levels-in-this-area-are-rising-sepa-issues-flood-warning-for-arbroath-town-centre/ https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49282832

Looks like the combination of the band of rain clearing slower than modeled and the easterly wind persisting (and doing its usual effect of killing off the storms in the east) as I feared.

My forecast map for tomorrow image.thumb.png.423d765350b7ff0e431276b7e0e08cfa.png area of moderate CAPE looks like developing and a front interacting with it likely to spark off thunderstorms during the afternoon / evening starting in the NW of the orange zone moving SE as the winds switch to a north westerly with threats being intense rainfall giving the chance of further flooding and frequent lightning.

Good to see some of you lot in the west getting some storms, always better placed as less effect from the easterly wind. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

No thunder here but the rain is unreal, water starting to leak through the roof of the work warehouse.

Not surprised, you're disappearing under what looks like >25mm rain/hour on the radar! Mind your coat.

• Like 2

Posted

This summer reminds me of 2008 an awful wet summer and a lot of Thundery weather. Also similar to 2004 quite a warm and humid summer but also lot of Thundery weather infact in 2004 you had a storm nearly every week but also some decent weather too so was actually better than this summer..

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Not surprised, you're disappearing under what looks like >25mm rain/hour on the radar! Mind your coat.

Yep, absolutely crazy here too. No thunder but the rain is awesome. 

• Like 3

Posted

So close for many of us! 21:45 lightning map - would have been nice to see as it’s dark! 

4B4307F5-223A-4385-98E0-A3C66CCB8B39.thumb.png.f9c66dd4498a12e66ee40285ef102ec9.png 

Looks as though the risk goes on into the night/early hours - lots going on to the South.

19E8E073-3B36-4853-9ED3-FD6427CED996.thumb.png.33cd8a88b60329480b82e00eba53ec88.png

• Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

So close for many of us! 21:45 lightning map - would have been nice to see as it’s dark! 

4B4307F5-223A-4385-98E0-A3C66CCB8B39.thumb.png.f9c66dd4498a12e66ee40285ef102ec9.png 

Looks as though the risk goes on into the night/early hours - lots going on to the South

>125mm/hr rain rates according to netweather radar - my garage isn't far off being flooded and looks like a night of persistent heavy rain to come at least. It should drain away though so I think the garage will be OK unless we get some storms later. 

Wife thinks I'm mad because I just walked outside in it.. 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 4

Posted

The smell in the air reminds me of when I was in Florida during a thunderstorm  

• Like 5