Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
8 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

If this was winter the toys would be flying all over the place. :help:

If this was winter, I'd hate to see summer!

• Like 3

Posted

Really has been wet for the last few hours with rain alhough has been sharp at times. Tomorrow the same again perhaps before a thankful small breather thursday (some people might need it by then)

Edited by NUT
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

What do you all think about this?

Picture of cell earlier in the day, radar at time and low cloud/scud (I think) at the far right of the picture? (same time as radar image)

07EFF963-466A-444B-9EF7-4A0D2B00FB46.thumb.jpeg.777f16699605f166adfad45063f686fc.jpeg

C377F66D-2025-4B6E-AD42-F8017BAFC846.thumb.png.d8b091c10c4e9b1f920f83b6ebe5af87.pngA707C8EB-3B31-4BFB-8CB5-CDC4F934F3A4.thumb.jpeg.c1a53fda5582b71aa4c1150cf8288e13.jpeg

Some folk think it’s a tornado but I’m 99% sure it is not! 

I was panicking too much to get a video of it and was zooming in and out of the area in question due to sheer joy at what was happening! Also had sunlight behind me and I was on top of a 98 meters high Hill a fair distance away! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
7 hours ago, howham said:

Look at the radar and spot the dry Aberdeenshire triangle...

Maybe not tomorrow though?

Probably pour down as my wife and I are up in the Turriff and Fyvie area visiting. Forecasts show some pretty heavy downpours.

• Like 2

Posted

Just spent a humid  evening putting small bales of hay away for the winter . Was dry above so could transfer them between sheds,.However torrential  rain has started to fall in the last half hour. Currently 16c.  Update    Just had a big rumble of thunder to the west of me with still more torrential rain.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
28 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

What do you all think about this?

Picture of cell earlier in the day, radar at time and low cloud/scud (I think) at the far right of the picture? (same time as radar image)

07EFF963-466A-444B-9EF7-4A0D2B00FB46.thumb.jpeg.777f16699605f166adfad45063f686fc.jpeg

C377F66D-2025-4B6E-AD42-F8017BAFC846.thumb.png.d8b091c10c4e9b1f920f83b6ebe5af87.pngA707C8EB-3B31-4BFB-8CB5-CDC4F934F3A4.thumb.jpeg.c1a53fda5582b71aa4c1150cf8288e13.jpeg

Some folk think it’s a tornado but I’m 99% sure it is not! 

I was panicking too much to get a video of it and was zooming in and out of the area in question due to sheer joy at what was happening! Also had sunlight behind me and I was on top of a 98 meters high Hill a fair distance away! 

Can clearly see the rain shaft behind the area of interest, I am wondering if it was a nimbostratus cloud

"Nimbostratus are very common clouds in temperate latitudes, forming a dense and extremely extensive grey layer at low altitude. They are thick, dark, amorphous and solid in appearance, often associated with more or less continuous rainfall which makes the cloud base soft and diffuse. Frequently they have ragged edges and small cloud fragments, called scud, developing beneath the main nimbus cloud from recondensation of water saturated air. The Sun is always obscured. Nimbostratus clouds produce dull and gloomy wet days. Precipitation of snow or rain is prolonged and widespread, although not usually heavy and individual small areas may not be producing precipitation at any one moment.

On mountainsides, nimbus clouds often can be seen ascending or descending the slopes as a rainstorm arrives or departs."

https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/wxfacts/Nimbostratus.htm

http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/guides/mtr/cld/cldtyp/lw/nbstr.rxml

probably in combination with the lifting from the hills in the photo

http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/guides/mtr/cld/cldtyp/oth/org.rxml

https://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints2/447/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
7 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Can clearly see the rain shaft behind the area of interest, I am wondering if it was a nimbostratus cloud

"Nimbostratus are very common clouds in temperate latitudes, forming a dense and extremely extensive grey layer at low altitude. They are thick, dark, amorphous and solid in appearance, often associated with more or less continuous rainfall which makes the cloud base soft and diffuse. Frequently they have ragged edges and small cloud fragments, called scud, developing beneath the main nimbus cloud from recondensation of water saturated air. The Sun is always obscured. Nimbostratus clouds produce dull and gloomy wet days. Precipitation of snow or rain is prolonged and widespread, although not usually heavy and individual small areas may not be producing precipitation at any one moment.

On mountainsides, nimbus clouds often can be seen ascending or descending the slopes as a rainstorm arrives or departs."

https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/wxfacts/Nimbostratus.htm

http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/guides/mtr/cld/cldtyp/lw/nbstr.rxml

probably in combination with the lifting from the hills in the photo

http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/guides/mtr/cld/cldtyp/oth/org.rxml

https://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints2/447/

Brilliant reply/links.

That definitely explains it all! 

It must be 100% orographic lifting - makes perfect sense.

Cheers for taking the time to go into detail and provide those link - made for a good read and learned something new! 

Much appreciated.

• Like 1

Posted

FURTHER UPDATE  Rain so heavy it has overflowed the valley gutters on the roof of the farmhouse and water is flowing into the house. Going to be a long night rescuing belongings.. The last time this happened was December 2010 when melting snow at Christmas could not get away due to all the ice in the gutters.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Heaviest rain i can recall in a long time here now and its time for the puppy to go out for its late night toilet break before bed lol hows my luck.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

FURTHER UPDATE  Rain so heavy it has overflowed the valley gutters on the roof of the farmhouse and water is flowing into the house. Going to be a long night rescuing belongings.. The last time this happened was December 2010 when melting snow at Christmas could not get away due to all the ice in the gutters.

I hope you manage to cope and rescue as much as you can,

• Like 1

Posted

@Mr Frost hopefully that is correct  as you say it appears to make sense

@Northernlights hope you get everything sorted that sounds awful especially at this time of night!  an omen for the upcoming winter? ❄️

11 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

The last time this happened was December 2010 when melting snow at Christmas could not get away due to all the ice in the gutters.

4 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

Heaviest rain i can recall in a long time here now and its time for the puppy to go out for its late night toilet break before bed lol hows my luck.

The Crieff rain / snow / storm shield has failed  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Unbelievable rain here over the last few hours

• Like 4

Posted

Got all the buckets in place moved funiture and rescued small items from the side of house where leak is . Rain on radar is hopefully easing

Wondering if bird or something has died and is blocking gutter will look tomorrow but rain was terribly heavy.Gutters are inspected twice a year spring and autumn and are swept out so it is not as if we do not do any maintenance

I for one am convinced of climate change and this is just an example of it. These heavy rainfall events are becoming much more frequent.

A bit late posted but we were very busy mopping up until about 2.00pm this morning. Thankfully rain eased.A lot of sheds have had water flowing into them. The volume of water was just too much for the drains and we are at the top of the hill so there must be some flooding issues lower down

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Screenshot_20190807-072944.thumb.jpg.c5c30d4dd8d1d1553d9c8436c900e538.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Well  the radar is still showing a lot of heavy action around this morning, tomorrow looks like it may well be dry but after that it looks a bit Marti Pellow 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

No thunder here despite warnings. A few heavy showers but nothing like what had been described by some of you, thankfully. 

Hope everything is drying out @Northernlights. The guttering on this house struggles with heavy rain, as do the drains, but at least the water stays outside. We have a small courtyard bit at the back that can turn into a paddling pool if the rain is heavy enough. I keep meaning to try to find where the rainwater drain goes as I suspect it's partially blocked somewhere (set of drain rods left in rafters of garage suggest it's been an ongoing problem). 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
10 hours ago, Norrance said:

Maybe not tomorrow though?

Probably pour down as my wife and I are up in the Turriff and Fyvie area visiting. Forecasts show some pretty heavy downpours.

It's wet here now!

• Like 3

Posted

That rain last night/early hours of this morning up North looked insane - non stop and torrential for hours.

Hopefully it stops soon!

8F53FF22-2F64-41D4-8977-C6AAC2C98B9F.thumb.png.acb8bfcf953f25b13bf70fdc18208ed1.png

Sorry to hear you are having flooding issues @Northernlights - hopefully no damage inside.

Thunderstorm risk for today from Convective Weather.

Not sure what is going to happen here - temperature expected 18c but wouldn’t be surprised to hit 20c or 21c.

Sunny-ish start and current temperature of 15c - anything kicks off I will be all over it!

02724E8A-8F01-4846-9DEF-C84D54C31F52.thumb.jpeg.37ccd57fad1d4f9a19519783b8deecac.jpeg

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

Posted

Going of my earlier screen shot it looks even worse now..

Screenshot_20190807-095216.thumb.jpg.61745a8221251864ca6106aaeb3e4d11.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

Three separate warnings for today, Friday and Saturday - madness!

147E84E2-CB51-4B61-B64F-4A233B8492AD.thumb.png.a906ef4790555b3b63a59e39b9855a2e.pngDDF4D3D4-FBB0-4D68-A2D8-AACB896719A9.thumb.png.1b905151b977308b9bac0761cbcb3e83.png

8835A5D8-301E-4B09-8DB9-C268C57B9B91.thumb.png.077175e345e8aa9f73bb81eb1011b05e.png

I am looking forward to and will cherish a nice cold, crisp, frosty and sunny spell in late October/November - it has been a wild and mostly enjoyable Summer of warm sunshine and convection/thunderstorms here.

Have a good day.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3

Posted

wow thats some really intense stuff just off the coast of Aberdeen. some of our Aberdeenshire members must have had a wet morning.

• Like 2

Posted

Very heavy rain through the night here too, glad you got some things sorted @Northernlights following on from the 2010 comments some charts for comparison 

7th August 2010 archives-2010-8-7-0-0.thumb.png.216730f6d8a3a8253719f20accec21a4.png 7th August 2019 gfs-2019080700-0-6.thumb.png.50551b506d3af5c424e0ccfb23c10d28.png some others similar 2011 archives-2011-8-7-0-0.thumb.png.81eef5107be506816ffd2107631308c2.png 2001 archives-2001-8-7-0-0.thumb.png.ae250b19470f0f4ff33c8ce93609a437.png  both 2011 and 2001 winters had stormy weather http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/1786150.stm  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Bawbag  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-16385049  snow event during the 2001 winter http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/1782704.stm and we all know how snowy 2010 was, so IF it is similar to those years perhaps a mix of a stormy and a snowy winter? Probably means nothing but interesting to compare current conditions to previous years and obviously there will be many other similar years going further back but those are the most recent similar years.  

• Like 4