Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
5 minutes ago, Big Innes Madori said:

Looks like it has finally stopped here noo Blitzy!

I know that a lot of our team on here like their Thunder Storms, but could we mibeez all collectively wish for a prolonged spell of Blue Skies and Sunshine?

Our local park here is Fkn saturated and it's the local kids Gala day next Saturday. 

Even during the hot days this week, it was squelching tae walk oan and the coming week disnae look good either!

Fksake

Big Innes

Don't hold back there Big Innes!   I love reading your posts:oldlaugh:   I'm away to check where the front is at now as I saw a bit of blue sky there but it has filled in again!

index.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Sweltering heat on Thursday with a high of 31.6'C on the station, over 30'C at Dalcross on the coast - feels like temperature was a couple degrees higher too as humidity was high. 

Thursday evening had big flashes of fork lightning to the south but nothing reached here. Friday was hot too at 27'C, much cooler now but still very close following an uncomfortable sleep for many nights. 

What a hot spell! 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Quick help the wife has found a house to rent in Elgin.. anybody got any advice on the snaw chances for Elgin during winter? looks a bit close to the coast for my liking and not much above sea level. bloody  ice house tho..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
8 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

Quick help the wife has found a house to rent in Elgin.. anybody got any advice on the snaw chances for Elgin during winter? looks a bit close to the coast for my liking and not much above sea level. bloody  ice house tho..

Elgin?? Are you mad? It's at sea level!

You'd be joining me in snowlessness - don't do it.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Elgin?? Are you mad? It's at sea level!

You'd be joining me in snowlessness - don't do it.

cheers, that will be me finding fault with the house some how then..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 minute ago, bigsnow said:

cheers, that will be me finding fault with the house some how then..

if you're not a snowfreak, Elgin would be fine - lots to do, good access to all sorts, excellent climate for growing stuff, etc. etc. But - excuse me if I've misinterpreted your tagline (I WANT MY SNOW) - it's generally not got the wintriness you're after...

At least it sounds like you're the one wearing the trousers - I have to deal with Ms HC's criteria for our next abode and it's driving me nuts.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

if you're not a snowfreak, Elgin would be fine - lots to do, good access to all sorts, excellent climate for growing stuff, etc. etc. But - excuse me if I've misinterpreted your tagline (I WANT MY SNOW) - it's generally not got the wintriness you're after...

At least it sounds like you're the one wearing the trousers - I have to deal with Ms HC's criteria for our next abode and it's driving me nuts.

im a snaw freak so i will just slowly get around the fact that the house is not for us. and will do all i can to find fault with it and push other higher elevated homes under her nose..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
10 hours ago, Mr Frost said:

Very hot over Scandinavia also.

DC2C267C-99D3-4BAE-BA47-1BAE585B6EA8.thumb.png.29448ecba862f54975610aefafe62653.png

Rovaniemi, Lapland (home of Santa ) is currently 27c.

Poor reindeer's cant imagine they will enjoy that heat 

and looks like another severe weather day for the Adriatic tomorrow with strong tornadoes too

• Like 2

Posted

Perfect summer's day in Aberdeenshire. 

Max of 22.5c with plenty of sunshine (though clouding over a bit late afternoon onwards).  A nice warm breeze as well, enough to keep the flies and midgies at bay.

Warm on way through to Inversneckie this evening, car thermometer hovering around 18-20c all the way.  And to top it all a lovely sunset.

Rinse and repeat this formula for the next few days please!

Snag_d8851759.thumb.png.6b18bbdcf16cfe7cab61e90aca041174.png

• Like 5

Posted

Nice day y'day - today cloudy, later drizzle, later later possibly turning foggy. Need to keep eye on the harbour webcams. 

EDIT: now quite a brief heavy shower, like turning on & off a tap! Wasn't in the forecast I don't think but it is cloudy & still humid here. It's gone off as I type.

Edited by Richard Taylor
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Very humid again today, temperatures are forecast to be no lower than 21c by day for my area all week which is perfect. Thunderstorms are again a real possibility for many areas with decent CAPE and the met office are also mentioning the word thunderstorms   

• Like 2

Posted

Humid misty day .Thought neeps were growing well so young Mr. Northernlights went to take Donald and Boris(scarecrows) down this morning and he noticed the diamond back moths were back again and so were there caterpillars eating holes in the leaves.Phoned agronomist and will have to spray them with insecticide plus a foliar feed tomorrow.This is a first for us needing two insecticide sprays in one season.I wonder if this is because of different weather patterns due to climate change.causing them to be able come across from Europe more easily. Currently dull and 21c

• Like 8

Posted

Cloudy start and also cloudy when I went into Aberdeen but warmish.  Came home and this afternoon has been warm and sunny.  Max of 21.6C, very nice.

• Like 2

Posted

That downpour between Kilmarnock and Ayr looks pretty bad and has been going for a while. Unsurprisingly reports of flooding starting to appear. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
11 minutes ago, Ross B said:

That downpour between Kilmarnock and Ayr looks pretty bad and has been going for a while. Unsurprisingly reports of flooding starting to appear. 

My dad has just phoned and said they are stuck in traffic on the A77 due to serious flooding. It doesn’t surprise me looking at the radar over the last few hours.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

My dad has just phoned and said they are stuck in traffic on the A77 due to serious flooding. It doesn’t surprise me looking at the radar over the last few hours.

Yeah it's just trained in on the same area and kept building for hours. Loads of reports of people pulling over, A77 flooded in both directions and the fire brigade called out. No photos through yet though! 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 2

Posted

Wow, that's some severe flooding, I've never seen that part of road with even a little flooding - hopefully the link works. (A77 flooding at Bellfield has previously been River flooding) 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1139683509559583&id=192357030958907&anchor_composer=false

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 3

Posted

Maybe its just old age but these humid nights and lack of sleep are getting to me.The continual humidity is making everyone short temperd especially when doing physical jobs outside. I also believe that drivers are less alert and have seen numerous bumps on the local roads in the last week Currently dull misty 98%RH and 16.5c. Real dog days of summer now. Roll on a cool breezy autumn.

• Like 9

Posted

I appreciate that undertaking physical work during this warm, muggy spell is difficult, but on the other hand I do prefer this weather type to persistent grey sky, cold drizzle or gales. For example, I was able to sit outside comfortably on Saturday evening wearing a frock (a rare occurrence :shok:) without cardy or jacket.

Foggy, no wind to speak of and temp 16C early this morning, but I see cooler weather may be set to filter down.

• Like 7

Posted

Well we landed up with a very fine drizzle on Saturday evening.   Plenty of areas in the garden were covered though, so festivities weren't dampened!   Great success after all the anxiety.   Didn't break up 'till 3am.:blink2:

Today is dry though and still overcast and muggy with very little wind (and no sun either)

static_weathercams.php.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
4 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The warmth on many nights is remarkable. For example, we hit 22C here yesterday which is 2.5C above the average max but our overnight low was 5.7C above average at 16C with RH at 98%.

I'm hoping my workplace has cooled off a little since last week when I'm back in tonight. The upstairs indoor thermometer was reading a constant 27C last week, not good working conditions.

I'm not sure if it's the warmth which causes more accidents, there seem to be a hard core of road users who drive idiotically. I drive a reasonable amount (24k+ a year) and it's usual to have to take severe evasive action to avoid collisions.

Hmm.......Wakened  by a screetch of brakes and a loud bang just after 6am this morning, followed by police and ambulance sirens!

Turns out a 4x4 collided with a William Purvis low loader head on!   Don't know if anyone was hurt though.  Hopefully not!  Clearance took ages.

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted

Cloudy but calm afternoon that weather front has fizzled out barely any rain in the end. Tomorrow though..........and wednesday for that matter...........interesting is all I can say

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, NUT said:

Cloudy but calm afternoon that weather front has fizzled out barely any rain in the end. Tomorrow though..........and wednesday for that matter...........interesting is all I can say

Yellow thunderstorm warning out for Wed for a lot of Scotland (excluding me of course). Largely cloudy and calm here too but feeling warm. Been a few good days here for me to knock the garden into shape, being generally dry and warm, but not too warm. 

Not liking the look of next week, temps likely to barely manage mid teens for highs. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

My storm risk map for tomorrow image.thumb.png.5e937976b818c6974a13cf0c93008717.png could also be some cells that develop further east but main focus should be in that orange zone (easterly wind likely to pick up which as I discussed usually kills any storms around here so not keen on anything here hence no zone further east) Orange zone threats - frequent lightning and intense rainfall with medium - high risk of flooding, discussion - storms look likely to develop with plentiful amounts of both SBCAPE and MUCAPE with a front moving up from the SW and also a convergence zone looking like setting up focusing the storms over the orange zone, after a few days of heavy rain and the likeliness of intense rainfall in a short space of time flooding will be likely so if in this area keeping an eye on the radar will be a good idea.

@Mr Frost @Ross B @Stormeh in with a chance tomorrow.

• Like 5