Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted

My main worry is that it "runs out" of lightning before it gets here 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

We really need to do a members location map for this thread. (Even just what city/close to somewhere!)

Hard work jumping in and out of profiles to see locations!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
11 minutes ago, Ross B said:

That storm has basically chased me up the M74?️ some interesting skies around that area but I didn't see any lightning.

Lots of lightning now showing in more Central/Western parts. 

19281BFE-3D20-4D92-BCDC-3106CC07FAC9.thumb.png.738026ed830a10975cf4940df6dd7a50.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

just took puppy out for a walk and i can smell rain.  very thin cloud and oh my gosh its clammy out there..

• Like 2

Posted

Stormy sky here. Some cg strikes too.image.thumb.jpeg.ef200c38e4bb8ee5fe544aa38ec8dd1d.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

Heads up East end and the Southside of Glasgow - thunderstorms may be incoming within the hour! (Could even make it to Glasgow City Centre at this rate!)

Cells keep popping up further West/South.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

huge rumble(s) of thunder in the distance probably from the storm to the SW

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Rumbling away here now and starting to rain.

• Like 4

Posted

Max of 24c today, so not quite as hot as previous days.  Due I suspect to the quite fresh SE breeze that has been there all day - glad for it to be honest as it made the day feel very pleasant as its very sticky out there.

A sunny but very hazy evening and you can see things are changing.

To the north, clear blue skies...

image.thumb.png.4642b21d71fe83f9c30cf73d9742ed19.png

but ominous clouds to the S/SE complete with rainbow...

image.thumb.png.73d983dbb37355231613200eaae3f4a1.png

No thunder etc - yet.....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

not sure if that was a lorry going past or a rumble. my luck so far i'm going with it being the lorry.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sunshineandshowers84 said:

Can now hear Thunder from EK

I moved from Croftfoot to Gourock last July...raging right now!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Can hear the thunder here coming from the area way off to the east.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

I can hear thunder in the distance ?

Edited by Allyw12
  • Like 4

Posted

Big storms South/Southeast of Glasgow - plenty of lighting incoming! 

@scott125 stick yer head further out the window!

34F9FD3F-3600-4089-B94D-E30594B9AE43.thumb.png.12a114d83ef28c6186cd9314876203ef.png847513D2-4389-4BD5-B84E-0F4773FB9C2A.thumb.png.7e06cc80b9d1d3fff4d98fd58f510109.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

First lightning flash!  

Ever had an absolute Vodka/diet coke/ice/slice of lime, jump out of your glass and fall straight back in again?  I got such a fright with that last clap of thunder that mine just did!:oldlaugh:

I refuse to part with this night cap, as it has been well-earned today!

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 5

Posted

Maximum of 29C which is the warmest in July since 1984 for Glasgow airport. Not a repeat of the 30+ last year but still among the warmest days in my lifetime and I suspect we'll see more 29+ days in the coming decades than we've seen over the past 20 years. Last year was the first since 1995 to reach 29 and one year later it's happened again. It clouded over a buit this afternoon which perhaps limited temperatures. This year has been the opposite of last year which saw a quick changeover from a cold winter to a warm summer. This year has been much more up and down with alternating spells of warm/cold dry/wet. However this year hasn't been without interest with exceptional record warmth in February, a notable warm spell in April - this summer has already produced two exceptional heatwaves in parts of Europe - continuing a trend over the past few years. The extent, regularity and ease of records being broken is disconcerting and are a sign of things to come. To have 20C+ in winter and com close to all time record today should be cause for concern. It seems the climate system is in flux and the volatile nature of the weather in recent years has almost become normal - the contrast between the beast from the east and record warm in February is an example of the extremes and lack of middle ground in our new climate. 

The all time UK record stays though the July record has gone and Edinburgh had a record high (a year after Glasgow possibly broke it's own record). Temperatures in the high 20s and low 30s are just about bearable but I wouldn't want much more than 1 day of such temperatures (low-mid 20s are fine). Despite the heatwaves, it's hasn't been a great summer (last year was better in terms of prolonged warm, sunny, dry conditions with little humidity). 

The thunderstorm the other night failed to live up to it's potential here (a big standard storm with a few rumbles and one flash of lightning). July 2015 was similar with little activity here - it seems homegrown daytime thunderstorms are more reliable than overnight storms that lose energy moving north. for producing  It seems the east has faired better this year fir storms (I wonder if that's to do with steering currents, a more favourable atmosphere for storms, factors such as topography) with the lothians and Fife getting the brunt of the storm. It just goes to show that no two storms are the same and one or two factors can determine how intense and thunderstorm becomes and where they occur. Tuesday night here was more notable for temperatures dropping no lower than 19C.

I expect tonight will be similar with more activity to the east. Given the prospect of severe thunderstorms I'm probably glad it'll miss here but hopefully a good light show here and those who are in the firing line enjoy the storms safely and post pics and videos. I can't recall experiencing supercell thunderstorm (I wonder how this set up compares to past events like May 2006) and I'm not aware of too many supercells in Scotland. I do have a few questions about tonight: how do you identify a supercell to ordinary storms, where in a supercell are tornadoes likely to the form, other than supercells are we looking at short-lived scattered single-cell storms or multi-cellular storms. 

Currently it's a pleasant, but humid, evening with largely clear skies other than some patches of speckled clouds (which I presume are signs of instability). I think I. An see the anvil of a cumulonimbus cloud to the SE. Hopefully it'll stay clear enough to see these storms from a distance.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and Thunderstorms

Apparently a lightning strike to the north of the island I'm currently on! 

Screenshot_20190725-204144.png

Snapchat-1584118510.jpg

Snapchat-1193174155.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Never got too hot today here with the breeze off the sea. Max23.4C. However thunder rumbling away to our South now and getting louder and more frequent. There have been spits and spots of rain but has just turned very heavy.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 5