Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and Thunderstorms

Anyone wanna take a guess at the weekend weather?

Various forecasts saying different things! Off to a music festival on the isle of Bute Friday to Sunday .

I'm thinking Il defo need a jacket..

Lovely and warm now that the sun finally appeared in the afternoon. Fingers crossed for thunderstorms tonight!!

• Like 1

Posted

25c,sunny windy. here baled some hay  this afternoon thats been lying for while .Most of the green colour has gone but it smells wonderful and the sunshine and wind helped to rescue it,still more to make so hope today is a trend  but know tomorrow is a potential washout

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

A max of 24.1°C in the sunshine this arvo. Cloud now building up again and feeling muggy as we await the flashbangwallop!

• Like 3

Posted

A really fantastic high summers  evening with a fabulous sunset and a squadron of about 18 swifts screaming round the house until just recently.

The honeysuckle at the back door is just overpowering giving off masses of scent.Even the neeps wilted during the day but ground still very wet so should be fine for a week of this heat!!!!!

The Firth was a millpond as all wind disappeared about 30 minutes ago but its still 22 c. Tried to get a photo but it hardly does it justice due  to my lack of camera skills. Young Mr.Northernlights still taking in bales but should be finished in about half an hour. Update at 11.15pm all hay now undercover.

002.thumb.JPG.8ae53c2de2d43d866cfcc83d412fcc11.JPG

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Squeaky bum time for me! I have a bad feeling all the action is going to go East of me!

Just watching the radar (screenshot of how it may look at 00:15 - it’s moving Northeast and looks like missing me all together!

33E64EDD-84A2-4D8C-B9ED-3965B6790CF4.thumb.png.4f1153284405820659aa41ef4f1fcaba.png

I am keeping the faith however! (Red zone looks spot on @Kirkcaldy Weather)

I have been kicked out the bedroom tonight due to my endless thunderstorm chat. (Girlfriend is not interested one bit in weather!) 

So I am on the couch for a nice open view and the sky has been glorious tonight. (Currently 20c)

75BB2980-A8CF-4245-9FB7-9B4CD937E91E.thumb.jpeg.ed1c792dcab755101443ddcfdee89e24.jpeg182C70A5-9FF8-4C00-BB2B-2EB49BD33E5C.thumb.jpeg.9d7c3354b460a68dcab175592f8ed78b.jpeg

Best of luck everyone - some folk in here are going to strike gold! ⛈⚡

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

@Mr Frost keep an eye on the radar to your S / SW could be the first signs of destabilization up here and IF those individual cells develop could be some rotation in them (orange zone on my map) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Storms are exploding South of us and this is just the tip of the iceberg/start! 

4A885D0C-D4D0-4DC6-B2ED-57FD4DB4F9BB.thumb.png.168d63615939eb2d83a26707bce31e1d.png32D3324C-363D-48AE-8784-C50ABED05E9D.thumb.png.6606ce23ed63bffed7886d0f67a19209.png

Absolutely buzzing here - this could be one of the greatest thunderstorm nights/mornings ever for many of us! (Please quote me on this in the morning if it all goes tits up! )

@Kirkcaldy Weather Yes they are developing by the minute - atmosphere is ripe!

@Huntforsnow are you seeing anything? 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Topped out at 27C near Fyvie late afternoon today after a warm start on the Black Isle. Barely a cloud to be seen after lunch and just the odd rustle of a breeze to provide some relief.

Long may it last (it won't).

• Like 4

Posted

Nothing here yet but looking at radar looks like something may be heading this way  

Enjoying watching the webcams down south!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Temp has risen from 20c when I arrived at work (22:00) to 23c now.

Feeling tropical, maybe too far West at work to see the storms. Be just my luck that my house gets it (50 miles East)

• Like 4

Posted

It appears we could be in for a lively night. Most of the more memorable storms I've experienced were before I joined netweather - although last month and last year provided some storms but nothing on the scale on events like May 2006 - and as a result my storm knowledge is incredibly limited. I'm more curious about storms than I used to be but I'm not the biggest enthusiast of storms and still a little apprehensive about the threats they pose - though I do like spectacle of watching of lightning (especially from a distance). I have no idea what to expect tonight - I suspect there'll be an hour or two of heavy rain and some rumbles of thunder but nothing too severe. Past experience would suggest storms either pass to the east or west or lose their energy before reaching here. I hope to see some lightning but would rather not have experience anything severe - at least not overhead. Talk of tornado potential is exciting if a little disconcerting and I don't quite understand the nature of this set up and what mechanisms conducive to tornadic activity and other storm phenomena - I'm still grasping what terms like elevated storms or MCS mean. It would be great if some more knowledgeable members can explain what could of set up we're in, how it compares to past events and what conditions to expect.

It's certainly going to be interesting to see how the next few hours pan out.

• Like 3

Posted

Just had a heavy shower (bouncing rain) but nothing else exciting with it

• Like 2

Posted

Three flashes directly to my North with this tiny little spek at 00:41 - no thunder.

95480A19-7C3D-4437-9A03-015D96373B79.thumb.png.c09ef373e1a5c0200f5b3f609c5662d1.png

Heads up for the borders shortly - plenty of lightning on that! 

48F476B8-65ED-428A-836B-D36C6A8D2694.thumb.png.c90ba242092d58d928978c3fdf07221b.png

• Like 2

Posted

Maybe because I have my windows open it doesn't feel too clammy but I can see the radar it's a it could brew at any second type of situation

• Like 1

Posted

Some very distant flashes to my Northwest - so distant you can barely see it!

I seem to be getting some isolated tiny cells - nothing packing a punch though.

Edit: torrential downpour now! 01:45

Screenshot of radar at 2:05 - Edinburgh to light up soon after? @Kirkcaldy Weather also looks well placed!

CACD509F-C524-41F6-A845-7B8ABB10DD09.thumb.png.0af04220a9d9e54a32bb98b89a9ff43e.png

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Currently looks like completely missing this area altogether. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ceitidh said:

Currently looks like completely missing this area altogether. 

Don’t worry Ceitidh - Sean Batty has spoken!

• Like 3

Posted

Fork lightning!!!!

The two lampposts (led) at the bottom of my street are stopping me from getting a good shot (due to the bright white glow from them) 

I should have gone out!

Top right of video but again it’s very distant.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Well I'm awake with the rest of you currently here, but not because of lightning. Oppressive warmth tonight! 

• Like 5

Posted

Lots of lightning showing up in Scotland now.

E22CB86E-DA19-411A-B0EB-5366919017FC.thumb.png.ee6a92dc2191545ee2d9c1cfa0085224.png

Flashes again to my North West (Cowal Peninsula)

All I am getting so far is very distant lightning to the North West, North and North East - think that will be the story of the next couple of hours for me. 

I am going to call it a night/morning but if you live in South East or East of Scotland it’s looking good! 

My window is open just incase though!

All the best everyone!

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

I was just woken up to the most extreme thunder and lightning of my entire life. the thunder was so loud I thought there were bombs going off and I could feel the rumbles in my chest- the lightning lit up my entire room just like during the day! I couldn't hear anything over the rain and thunder. I wish I got videos or photos but I was so mesmerised by this experience wow. I'm surprised the power didn't go out like it usually would! 

Posted

Thunder starting to rumble here and rain starting, just as I thought I would get some sleep! Looks like a huge storm moving up from the north of england, might catch some of it here if I am lucky 

• Like 2

Posted

Surreal storm dead silent with IC lightning every few minutes 

• Like 2