Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
43 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

How have we got to the point where such a completely stained glass windowless mountain is about to become PM?

I think we're just trying to outdo the Americans in the "who can elect the biggest idiot" contest. I'll know the result before the end of our trip through France, and I may just claim political asylum. Surely they couldn't refuse me? 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I think a few of us will be over for a wee "visit" Ravelin.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
On 08/07/2019 at 14:12, CatchMyDrift said:

Hopefully we get some action here at last this year, but I'll not hold my breath

It's been pretty bland weather over the past couple of weeks, definitely average although rainfall has been sparse with less than 10mm over large parts of the south at least. I never checked further north:

https://apps.sepa.org.uk/rainfall

If you're on Facebook look up some of the Italian weather pages or pages like Severe Weather Europe. Some of the thunderstorms over there have been unreal. Tennis ball sized hail!

Yes I seen that - Venice, Pesaro and Rimini to name a few have had severe supercells! The amount of lightning strikes and size of the hailstones have been insane! Wish we experienced those kinds of storms.

Weather wise it’s a grim start here - heavy rain and plenty of hill fog! Pretty mild though so that’s a slight plus. 

@Kirkcaldy Weather looks spot on with his earlier thoughts on thunderstorm potential - East/Central Scotland, Highlands and Borders In  the firing line at the moment. (Not so great for me in the West)

Looks like a glorious weekend ahead for most of us - temperatures into the low 20’s. 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3

Posted

It's a building atmosphere day very wet night last night now dry some sun trying to poke through 

• Like 3

Posted

First fly problem of the season with this humidity and heat an in calf heifer with mastitis this morning. Was 17c at 6.00am this morning and thundery looking clouds now building over the mountains to the south.

We have our two scarecrows (Boris and Donald  named three years ago, family think I am very good at predictions) out on the neeps to keep  the pigeons off. They seem to makng a good job of scaring them off.

On a positive note was putting out fly repellant  treated bunch of cattle to other side of farm and came home the long way round the public road and at the top of a hill the sky filled with birds which initially I thought were swallows but turned out to be almost 100% swifts . There were over 70 of them screaming across the sky as I stopped the car to count them. Gave me a bit of a lift  to see such numbers after putting tar on cows udders in the heat all morning.Currently 22c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
4 hours ago, Mr Frost said:

Yes I seen that - Venice, Pesaro and Rimini to name a few have had severe supercells! The amount of lightning strikes and size of the hailstones have been insane! Wish we experienced those kinds of storms.

Weather wise it’s a grim start here - heavy rain and plenty of hill fog! Pretty mild though so that’s a slight plus. 

@Kirkcaldy Weather looks spot on with his earlier thoughts on thunderstorm potential - East/Central Scotland, Highlands and Borders In  the firing line at the moment. (Not so great for me in the West)

Looks like a glorious weekend ahead for most of us - temperatures into the low 20’s. 

this would be my risk map for later today although it is a low risk and shouldn't be anything severe, possibly some hail in the heaviest of the showers / storms  image.thumb.png.e7c663482cad599b4f2811bfa73f85b2.png I will have a look at tomorrows charts later on today. 

• Like 4

Posted

Looks as if the North East getting a soaking at the moment 

• Like 2

Posted

Oh yes! Rain heavy - very heavy. CB overhead but no lightning. No wind to move the showers in any great speed so could last a while with the potential of flooding. 

EDIT 1800: I would call it torrential rain now, and going nowhere very quickly.

EDIT 2 1830: Rain more or less off now, for the moment. A bit brighter. 

Edited by Richard Taylor
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
52 minutes ago, Richard Taylor said:

Oh yes! Rain heavy - very heavy. CB overhead but no lightning. No wind to move the showers in any great speed so could last a while with the potential of flooding. 

I would call it torrential rain now, and going nowhere very quickly.

Yes some big heavy slow moving showers about just now and later for the West.

3913C6C1-BF33-42AA-8520-C2D78A9D8460.thumb.png.7d2dc1970fbef1361a3c06220fa3f1d5.png

Cant see any lightning tonight for us but tomorrow looks a better bet for that in places.

Big storms over South Central/East Italy and the Adriatic Sea just now. (All moving East - oh to be on holiday down there just now)

6A081438-555E-48B7-A952-B6A22C36BC85.thumb.png.096bf795171c05e374a3e03991179a8a.png

@Northernlights can you please post up pictures of Boris and Donald the scarecrows? This I have to see!

• Like 3

Posted

A grey wet start.  Briefly brighter and feeling humid and slightly warm.  Now turned into a damp mist fest and not a thunderstorm in sight...

• Like 3

Posted

To me these tropical downpours are a symptom of climate change as I can never rmember  so  many as a  child.Today it comes down so heavily that it overwhelms the gutters and floods the buildings even threatening the hay we have just secured on Monday.We have had  three of these events today and yet just a mile away especially nearer the sea it is bone dry.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Saw the angriest, darkest, most fierce looking cloud I've ever seen in my life earlier just miss Inverness and head north, turns out it hit the Dingwall area. 

The way it was moving I actually thought it was going to form a twister. 

• Like 6

Posted
42 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

Saw the angriest, darkest, most fierce looking cloud I've ever seen in my life earlier just miss Inverness and head north, turns out it hit the Dingwall area. 

The way it was moving I actually thought it was going to form a twister. 

Must have been some downpour! Did you get a picture of the clouds?

Hopefully no people/homes affected!

Just read the drains were blocked solid and that it has happened numerous times before - when will the council/local authorities learn? Seems to be a recurring theme in numerous places and nothing ever gets done to solve the issue long term. 

Absolute deluge here currently.

E787EBEB-1279-4C67-9C3D-AC3FC0E6BB44.thumb.png.9dc623b72b2c75a9746fc6d65c7bb107.png

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

Posted

HC you seem to have it following you.. have you offended God recently? Wee dark cloud up above your heid?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
3 minutes ago, mardatha said:

HC you seem to have it following you.. have you offended God recently? Wee dark cloud up above your heid?

My god is benevolent but has no control over the weather...

Seems to be getting heavier. Can't remember such a downpour.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 3

Posted

You must have picked up a random stray god then. My hubby has the same problem..it can rain on us while every other house in the street is bone dry.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

My storm risk map for tomorrow image.thumb.png.adf3f65af24e4e34be7c9c1be22df2f0.png orange zone = threat of thunderstorms producing lightning, hail and heavy rain , Red zone = enhanced risk area due to possible convergence zone setting up enhancing the intensity of the storms with frequent lightning and intense rain / hail giving the chance of flooding.

I got round to uploading my main video of the worst of the storms on 29th June which caused the 2nd round of bad flooding, most intense rain / hail starts around the 12 min mark 

• Like 4

Posted

Warm and humid in Inverness and dry until the evening.  Thereafter heavy rain but amazing how localised the heaviest pulses of rain are. 

Chanonry point wet and miserable this evening with plenty of low cloud draping the higher parts of the Black Isle. 

Screenshot_2019-07-10-23-34-25.png

• Like 5

Posted
12 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

My storm risk map for tomorrow image.thumb.png.adf3f65af24e4e34be7c9c1be22df2f0.png orange zone = threat of thunderstorms producing lightning, hail and heavy rain , Red zone = enhanced risk area due to possible convergence zone setting up enhancing the intensity of the storms with frequent lightning and intense rain / hail giving the chance of flooding.

I got round to uploading my main video of the worst of the storms on 29th June which caused the 2nd round of bad flooding, most intense rain / hail starts around the 12 min mark 

Map looks good mate! 

https://stv.tv/news/scotland/1439169-thunderstorms-expected-to-batter-parts-of-scotland-today/

Heehaw for me today but looking forward to the pictures/videos later from all you lucky folk!

Enjoy! 

Edit: Might see something after all...

2315030D-F537-4DDC-B276-F00387C6DBCD.thumb.png.6a6e7c7d27feb348d8631f9eecc59cf6.png

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3

Posted

Pretty quiet at the moment here actually surprising considering how humid it is

• Like 1

Posted

Chance of funnels/weak tornadoes in East/NE Scotland! 

• Like 2