Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted

Well, it’s been a grey day hereabouts, currently steady moderate rain falling and feeling very humid.  I thought I heard a rumble or two earlier, but it was just my old doggie snoring under the kitchen table. The east coast storms, according to the radar, are drifting off into the N Sea.

• Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, JoeShmoe said:

Flooding all over west EDINBURGH too , traffic is a nightmare 

Yep! Loads of buses cancelled and general chaos! 

Edit: Turned out to be a quick, hassle free journey home! Roads really quiet! 

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

In and out of Aberdeen today and it was just variable intensities of rain, but no flash bang action. A real come down after a decent weekend, but looking on the bright side it's keeping the garden watered. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Heavy rain here in the afternoon but no thunder. Daughter’s boyfriend could hear thunder from near St Andrews. Presumably from storms across the Forth. Brighter here now and dry. 14.1C which is a touch up from this afternoon.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Hammering down the last couple of hours - coming down the chimney now which isn't a good sign. I can hear it splashing in the puddles in the yard and we've had the lights on since late afternoon.

We've probably had over an inch of rain today, but spread over the whole day unlike some others on here! Cold too, and it was windy this afternoon. Fksake.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
8 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

WOW what a storm! I have never seen rain that intense closest would be the July 2015 storm, went from nothing to gutters overflowing in seconds, almost certain there will be local flooding, also a definite wind shift in the middle so not sure if some rotation, I will try and upload vids to my YouTube later, I was right under the purple on radar, some lightning and gunshot thunder too.Screenshot_20190624_153019.thumb.jpg.eabd44dd224dc88cea4283850a41cd12.jpg

one of my videos of that storm, best thunder around 1:19 and 2:24 and the INTENSE rain soon after 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Drove from Inverness to near Peterhead this morning and it's horribly foggy in places. As well as cold and patchy drizzle. 

On the bright side though, no tornados, no gales, flooding, blizzards or plague.  Yet.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

@Kirkcaldy Weather nice vid !!

It's dull and grey here today with the only brightness provided by flowers, I think this is a wild dog rose but happy to be corrected:

20190625_084719.thumb.jpg.491c04351a12773e6aa8eb41f0992e4d.jpg20190625_085504.thumb.jpg.21a70f63b9c1b7ffb0fb84186f584792.jpg20190625_085213.thumb.jpg.539bcbe3cc74d07faaa8ff9ad575608c.jpg

Thanks  lovely pics 

On 23/06/2019 at 14:02, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

quick forecast map from me, Yellow = heavy rain & possibly some embedded elevated storms, Orange = main areas to watch for storm development tomorrow (some possibly surface based) and the likely direction they could move.

image.thumb.png.e4d4eadafe3906f0cba909a340c9698b.png 

Overall I am quite pleased with my forecast map although there were some storms further south but the orange zone was pretty much where the worst of the cells developed. Firefighters had to pump the water out of the fire station here before going to help others (you can faintly hear the fire engine at the start of my vid) first time I can remember being directly under purples on the radar (250 mm / hr +) drains simply couldn't cope and a few local buildings have some flood damage https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/news/weather/kirkcaldy-floods-buildings-still-closed-1-4953477 

Next chance for a storm forecast should hopefully be for some point on Saturday, looks like the chance of some elevated storms breaking out in the west and moving east anim_nhj7.thumb.gif.4e9b33934bbcd636141403a7f86dde39.gif nmm-16-86-0.thumb.png.6410c1cfa5d8ada97326b01e030b0dea.png also shouldn't be a problem with low level cloud as the flow will be from the south rather than the east, hopefully it stays on track and I will do an update nearer the weekend.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I keep reading about a heatwave but we're sitting here in 12C with a nasty cold breeze and dull mist. Bleugh.

• Like 5

Posted

Started slow but finally as expected the clouds are clearing and the sun is breaking through. Should be a absolute crackerjack of a few days to come now before the inevitable bang and flashes saturday (more hopeful this time of something)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and Thunderstorms

Gorgeous here in Beith. Sunny and blue sky, slight breeze . Very warm 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Lookin nice up there today, UKV Model showing 26c for the West Coast Friday. 27/28c possible for some spots.

FB_IMG_1561562258456.thumb.jpg.b021ae01426faebbbf771f1a378af901.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

A superb evening tonight with a clear sunny sky and only a slight breeze to detract. Maybe a temp around 17-18C?

Actually yesterday morning and this one 'felt' like summer for the first time this year in the garden, with the sound of bumble bees, honey bees buzzing, and also the appearance of several butterflies for the first time.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Warmest day of the year (so far) here today with the max topping out at 23.0C and blue skies all the way this arvo. Rinse and repeat please!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Wow what a lovely day. Blue sky warm sun and a beer garden with a lager n lime.. and tomorrow we go to visit our little lady "Rosie" AKA Snaw Dog

IMG-20190624-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20190624-WA0000.jpg

Edited by bigsnow
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and Thunderstorms

Beautiful sunset tonight. 

Wondering what all the lines in the sky are? 

20190626_222213.jpg

20190626_222221.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
9 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

cracking pic @Mr Frost 

Cheers mate! 

I was thinking maybe the lines in the sky mean we are going to get an incredibly cold and snowy Winter 2019/20! 

26 weeks today is Christmas Day after all! ❄️☃️

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Yep it was a cracking day today, same again tomorrow and Friday and it will be even warmer 

I only cut my grass 3 days ago and it looks like I need to do it again tomorrow. 

AA48729F-0961-4C87-AB18-62048D3278F8.thumb.jpeg.f3f5a8cad773578a0c6d979bd91dbf4e.jpeg

There is talk of an Azores high pushing up into the UK as we head into July. Hopefully it makes it way up into Scotland so we can all have a decent summer.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
8 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

@Mr Frost and @Huntforsnow the lines in your pics appear in photos on the Scotland from the Roadside page, but the pics were taken from the A68 to the south-east of Edinburgh. So if it is cloud it must be very high up:

1561061541_Screenshot_20190627-013231_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.f345e86d34fa98acf1a43bc4c9120979.jpg

I think you are spot on with regards to high level cloud - have been advised it’s Noctilucent clouds! Hard to believe though as they are extremely rare and I don’t really think that’s what I witnessed. Have messaged STV weather team (Sean Batty) on Facebook for official confirmation. 

Done a bit of research as well and still none the wiser.

944EC89F-8996-4897-9D6A-EC0E5BDDB926.thumb.png.43dd36dfd5d5592296076120e8cc9d89.pngE35068F6-6401-486C-9639-C66B8978F295.thumb.png.8c2d894e00b631802918dc1274af4ea7.png

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/weather/types-of-weather/clouds/other-clouds/noctilucent

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3