Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted

6c start to the day dull and drizzly.See Met office maps show we had twice the normal rainfall in my neck of the woods in May .June can"t be far behind.No wonder I am a grumpy old farmer just now.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I'm not even going to talk,. The husband would celebrate if he saw me typing this.

• Like 5

Posted

5.0C on the car display in torrential driving rain round the Pentlands this morning at 7am. Loving summer :oldrolleyes:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Just stuck my head round the door expecting to see @CatchMyDrift posting pictures of beech trees against a blue sky... sadly not. Anyway I got a short fix by watching today's Criterium stage on ITV4 - at last south-east France was warm and sunny today.  Unlike north-east Scotland for the last couple of days which has been a total wash-out.  I'm home now with the stove on, hoping to get 2 pairs of boots and lots of waterproofs dry before they're needed next. It's chilly out but some cheery tourists are wandering around in shorts. 

A quick look in the garden this evening and dwarf runners are looking a sulky yellow colour while cabbages and kale flourish. I'm never too sure about potatoes in very wet soil for extended periods - I've never had a total failure but they can get full of pests... Any tall perennial flowers not staked have flopped. One plus is that the greenfly have possibly got washed off?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
13 hours ago, shuggee said:

5.0C on the car display in torrential driving rain round the Pentlands this morning at 7am. Loving summer :oldrolleyes:

Same here, 5C most of the way to work, the exception being the 4C going over the top of the hill behind the house. Rain eased off this evening and looking forward to temps into the teens this weekend as it should feel positively balmy. 

• Like 3

Posted

Hasn't washed off any greenfly here HC, I haven't so much got a garden now, more a greenfly farm

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, mardatha said:

Hasn't washed off any greenfly here HC, I haven't so much got a garden now, more a greenfly farm

I would usually defer to @Northernlightson agricultural matters but I don't think there's much value in bulk greenfly. Even in Johnson's cloud cuckoo sub-atlantic deregulated hell.

Pleasantly warm at cairn stodge services although £3 for a cup of crap coffee is a bit steep... 

• Like 9

Posted

Maybe I should try and puree the buggers and spread them on toast. Learn to like them. Might see us through brexit.

• Like 5

Posted

Sunny and breezy today just great.But try walking through a field of crop and you realise how wet it has been and as for sowing the wet area in the neep field the water between the drills tells its own story the evening sunshine.

• Like 5

Posted

Infinitely better day today, though would have been hard to get much worse than yesterday...

Dry (hurray!) and a light to moderate SE wind, turning calm this evening.  Plenty of hazy sunshine during the day, making things feel pleasant outside even though temperature never got above 13.5c here.

Lovely blue skies this evening - the calm conditions are allowing the farmers round here to spray like crazy.

Example of this evening's cloudscape, view looking east...

728790630_LkngEastlowres.thumb.jpg.00d613ffb43ddc2d9571730d62a2cdb0.jpg

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 8

Posted

Respectable day in Inversneckie with max temperature of 18c going by the car thermometer and some decent spells of sunshine and light winds.

Some showers around Loch Ness this evening and the calm winds are allowing the midgie squadrons to attack with vigour...

loch ness - Copy.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Morning all!

Quite a lively couple of days coming up weather wise - risk today and tomorrow of thunderstorms. 

2549D1D5-A395-43AE-9819-B3B8110C892A.thumb.png.6863000c27eb0c39ff32c17ee94c92dc.png

Thought I seen a funnel cloud in the distance yesterday evening but on closer inspection it was just low hanging cloud/scud.

86F24B04-510D-47F7-9682-42F6E3AB3CCE.thumb.jpeg.d449a041ceaacdc485f7394a65f89374.jpeg

As for today - gloomy start here with the passing cruise ship Crystal Serenity.

1A9E4945-E19A-4E32-AD4A-DC40B431C939.thumb.jpeg.6efdbe88147676c05dac084a0ee24cd6.jpeg

Still not much to get excited about for the rest of this month looking at the latest models - no heatwaves or warmth/hot weather on the horizon. (Few average temps/sunny days which I will bank though!)

All the fun/hot weather is over to our East - pretty insane over much of Europe at the moment. (Storms/heat)

Pictures below courtesy of WXCHARTS and Severe Weather Europe Facebook page.

389B8ECD-F9E5-4F87-80DB-4F6E2C7CEFA6.thumb.png.0a0a2e137156672c6d5764be9eb3e23e.png4459FE41-DF02-47EE-BE76-92A71DDE8E9A.thumb.png.9e9e8d774e1c117ab3238f7a52bcb2ec.png

28D29FE4-422F-476F-8BBD-65DE6D30A9BE.thumb.png.40c3cba9ced60e6a12d60262417e0637.png3BE08B78-124D-46B2-BC0E-AD11E22E82CF.thumb.png.caf3236ba2f333b08154eba909470e5d.png

6E444067-2382-4C68-AC64-C8AD6784B500.thumb.png.ac7e8c0719ed86f1c832b72179e66b30.png

Have a good Sunday all! 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 8

Posted

@CatchMyDrift yes! Dunno how far apart we are - I'm in Kendal for the weekend but definitely no blueness here. Megashowers yesterday followed by 15 mins sun and a bright ish evening, otherwise just grey. Looks like I'm missing or have missed a very brief burst of warmth at home too.

Some of my clan here are contemplating moving north to escape the mop-topped cretin and brexit. What other elements of Balkan politics can we import? Thanks again for wrecking the UK, Dave. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

First thunderstorm of the day has arrived! 

21EF893E-4232-47FB-A3FF-28A751472002.thumb.jpeg.15391a90229fe83e2cd7bc2976c5b0be.jpeg

B8391C20-E5C6-4607-862F-CFAAF734020C.thumb.jpeg.34693efee536a496f714133a7ff23863.jpeg

01C8896D-9740-4A94-A70D-F117D7FEB5BB.thumb.png.48c2bce7f9bf1a9f109133bafbdc720b.png

Couple of flashes/rumbles just to my North - not a bad start to a Sunday! Although I wouldn’t mind @CatchMyDrift current view/blue sky either.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Decent day yesterday and looks like being a decent day again today. When is the last time we could say that? Shows what a horror show the start of summer has been. 

About this time in 3 weeks we should be crossing on the ferry to France, heading to Carcassonne in the SW, near Toulouse. Forecast high of 25C there for today, and up to 30C mid week. Should be very similar, if not warmer, when we're are there. Looking forward to it. 

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, Ravelin said:

Decent day yesterday and looks like being a decent day again today. When is the last time we could say that? Shows what a horror show the start of summer has been. 

About this time in 3 weeks we should be crossing on the ferry to France, heading to Carcassonne in the SW, near Toulouse. Forecast high of 25C there for today, and up to 30C mid week. Should be very similar, if not warmer, when we're are there. Looking forward to it. 

Carcassonne can be like an oven, be prepared for extreme heat in July... As in, stay indoors or at least in the shade in the middle of the day. I generally like it hot but Carcassonne can be too much.

Big billowy cumulus now and the promise of some showery action this afternoon. Better than the grey stuff earlier.

• Like 5

Posted

I'd give an awful lot to be able to go to Carcassonne, or anywhere else in Roman France. No passport and a husband who won't take me to bloody Oban because it's too far Enjoy it for me and have a wee drink for me Ravelin!

• Like 7

Posted
8 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Carcassonne can be like an oven, be prepared for extreme heat in July... As in, stay indoors or at least in the shade in the middle of the day. I generally like it hot but Carcassonne can be too much.

Big billowy cumulus now and the promise of some showery action this afternoon. Better than the grey stuff earlier.

I would agree @Hairy Celt. The medieval citadel is well worth a visit but the surroundings can be an unbearably, hot, dusty ( sometimes windy) coastal plain.

@Ravelin I'm green with envy, and still tossing up whether or not to arrange September in France or a week on the Scottish west coast. :oldlaugh: 

If you are spending some time in that region, maybe take time to see the relatively unvisited Jaur valley, in particular the village of Olargue, and the Espinouse mountains, a little bit north of your destination?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
5 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

we might get a few showers this afternoon but no deluge

wish I could say the same but have already had 2/3 torrential showers so far and looks like more incoming on the radar, only thing missing has been thunder but I wouldn't be surprised to hear some at some stage today. ⛈️

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

This thread is most impressive, informative and entertaining c.f. Welsh one! Thanks.

• Like 6

Posted

Just jumping in with a ramp, Torro just issued a convective discussion with the (small) risk of some low topped supercells for Western Scotland this evening...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Interesting. I dd hear a big rumble of thunder in the south side of Glasgow at lunch time. What time in the evening are we talking?

• Like 2