Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted

Did get cloudier but no showers in the end. 24 though not bad at all! (Just hope this isn't the warmest we get all year) has happened before

• Like 3

Posted

A slightly cooler day here today due to a much stronger cooling SE breeze - max of 19.5c.

Plenty sunshine though so feeling very warm.

Well, King George II described the English summer as three fine days and a thunderstorm.  Here in NE Scotland, its three fine days and Haar; came rolling in here around 8pm making for a very atmospheric sunset.  Rapid drop in temperature accompanying the fog - 14c down to 8.8c in just an hour.

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 5

Posted

Only real difference with today's weather more breeze which was expected but still lovely jubbly out there

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A very similar looking day here compared with yesterday. However step out of the sun and there is a noticeable difference. It is nearly 7C colder than the same time yesterday and today’s breeze has an edge to it in the shade.

All still good though.

EFDED8C7-3F36-4100-9F1C-78A9F8003445.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted

Fabulous day again but with a fresh to strong SE wind at 18c and 25% RH .This has just reignited the fire to the SE of us at Knockando so the smoke looks very ominous against the backround of a very blue cloudless sky. This is going to be a long summer if it stays dry.

Have to say in nearly 60 years  here I have never seen such large wildfires or them starting up again after being subdued.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Fabulous day again but with a fresh to strong SE wind at 18c and 25% RH .This has just reignited the fire to the SE of us at Knockando so the smoke looks very ominous against the backround of a very blue cloudless sky. This is going to be a long summer if it stays dry.

Have to say in nearly 60 years  here I have never seen such large wildfires or them starting up again after being subdued.

A few photos of the fire just now   which is about 15 to 20 miles SE of us001.thumb.JPG.0c535d9117e1176c002cc8cd74df3792.JPG002.thumb.JPG.b6a31bb5db4b5fc685390a9be31a2358.JPG003.thumb.JPG.cfd20d99a4d0c7e77b1676ca7f19ede0.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Sorry to see/hear about the wildfire @Northernlights - hope it stays well clear of you. 

Looks like you might see rain on Saturday and Sunday? (Although I know you have said it keeps vanishing from previous forecasts as the event gets nearer - hopefully this time it does not!)

20c here today - really has been fantastic since Saturday morning. (Another sunny and warm day tomorrow here then the rain arrives!)

Also the sunsets have been incredible during this sunny/warm spell - will be missed over the weekend! 

823B49D4-FEF0-4066-A96B-F4437D7228CE.thumb.jpeg.f5bd16bf9c3ac4c89c25e09c9a19ee5c.jpeg

Have a good weekend all! 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Well that was nice while it lasted! Three days of sun and warmth but back to some sun and no warmth tomorrow.  The garden looks very green, as do all the trees apart from the ash and the dead elms. 

I've been over inland from Peterhead on and off recently (for work) - crikey, the land time forgot.  Roads that go nowhere, and no roads to get you where you want.

• Like 4

Posted

I stayed in that hotel next to Peterhead power station once. A time I try to forget.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

53 minutes ago, shuggee said:

I stayed in that hotel next to Peterhead power station once. A time I try to forget.

I worked in Peterhead for almost a year around 30 years ago when the second phase of the St Fergus gas terminal was being built. The town was often like the Wild West at night. Weatherwise all I remember was a very windy and mild Winter followed by snow falling in Spring and loads of haar in Summer while 10 miles inland in Mintlaw it was roasting.

• Like 4

Posted

Have to correct myself on location of the fire as can still see smoke to east out of bathroom window agaist the rising dawn sky.Its nearer than I thought  at Dunphail which is just 5 to 6 miles away and seems to be a completely new fire.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Hope the change in weather puts that out NL.

• Like 3

Posted

One more nice day..............why not ;) Breezier probably than yesterday but still lovely. Not going to be like this tomorrow

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Gorgeous day again, perhaps not the 23c we hit on Wed but breached 20.5c here. Nice wee breeze.

Shame i’m outside at a festival tomorrow in Edi and it’s about 10c cooler 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

The perfect ending to 6 days of glorious warm and sunny Spring weather...taken five minutes apart.

B8A94DF6-F73F-46C8-9F9D-3B30B6AFFAEC.thumb.jpeg.6473138e19a7f6283b39271d8cbf1631.jpeg

80AB716C-620C-458A-A829-8F1413DDB41B.thumb.jpeg.b78045bd341306f306eedbc96a7422b4.jpeg

Hopefully the sun/warmth will return - sooner rather than later! 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 5

Posted

Before the sun fully went down had a very nice orange sky but a rainbow the other end (small burst of rain about that time) as it's got darker the rain has descended

• Like 1

Posted

Fire at Dunphail carried on all day in a fresh NE wind.   Small helicopter water bombed it all afternoon then this evening  the thud-thud of a chinook  could be heard and sure enough you could see one occasionaly next to the clouds of smoke. I think the flames were getting  near to some  houses and mature forests and more resources were probably brought in.

Cloud approaching from the east ,almost no wind now and  currently  9c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted

Damp chilly and drizzly. Big difference compared to much of the last week least we getting a bit of a variety of weather at long last though

• Like 1

Posted

Winds died completely. That could be important because any showers that do brew in the next few days may not budge

• Like 3

Posted

Damp misty start to the day at 9c.We had a lovely day yesterday with mostly light to moderate rain all day.Crops and grass already looking better

In spite of the rain the helicopters were still fighting  the fire most of Saturday morning and it is still smoking this morning

• Like 5

Posted

An overcast day with the sun attempting to break through the clouds with limited success; temp 13C, humid and a slight breeze from the S.

I see from the radar there is a cluster of heavy showers just to the north and west of my location.  The Meto forecast from Edzell Castle Pleasance does not predict thundery showers here, but it would not surprise me if heavy bursts bubble up this afternoon.

If it must rain, at least a crack of thunder would give added interest!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Dull and... actually not a bad day, about 17C max for a short while, now about 15C and has brightened up occasionally. The soil is nicely damp so plant growth is exuberant. I wonder if they shut down a bit in full sun for some reason as days like today always seem to be the best for growth. Perhaps the diffuse light is better?

• Like 2

Posted

Not had any rain here today so far - but of course that will end now since I was silly enough to say it out loud.

Edited by mardatha
  • Like 1

Posted

Aye. It'll come up here instead!!