Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

So we had the hottest Winter day on record for Scotland and now the hottest ever Easter Sunday! 

C63D092D-EC2F-48B0-81E9-AE3F9E0D9540.thumb.png.2b10f2cff4e1250b461b8ee37d1719ea.png

The weather is officially broken!

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 5

Posted
40 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The moonrise was so red on Friday night my youngest was convinced it was Mars.

For the 3rd day in a row the kids and the dogs are in the river. It's not often you can say that let alone in April.

Yes, three warm days in a row are to be appreciated up here in the provinces.:oldsmile:

I'm packing my swimsuit for the visit to Ardnamurchan next week.:oldlaugh:

• Like 4

Posted

Any high cloud we had cleared. It's the most amazing end to the day you can imagine and still warm too! All change by wednesday (not that make any difference as i'll be down south then where it may be quite stormy)! Best of both worlds ;)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Well I had an utterly crap winter for snow here. Even a sneaky second week in the alps went horribly wrong when I injured my knee the day before.☹️ Thankfully I'd booked half board in a wee french family run hotel, so what I missed in skiing, I made up for in delicious food.

Been in hibernation since; couldnae stand the sight of snaw and cauld when I came back. Just wanted the winter tae end. 

And it certainly has this weekend, in glorious style; absolutely crackin easter weekend. 

• Like 5

Posted

Barley and grass just jumping out of the ground today after yesterdays rain.  Been busy power washing domestic paths while it is so warm.  Currently a bit breezy and 16c so finally 24 hour growth.

• Like 4

Posted

Current signals are for well below average temperatures for the end of April - beginning of may.

Significant rainfall about to arrive for all of us as low pressures will find their path blocked by high pressure to the east, persisting for days without moving much. 

What will follow during the first week of may is unclear, current signals point towards very cold air moving down as high pressure rises to our west. Some runs still showing high pressure returning to the UK, but that area of low pressure arriving this week will most likely keep us under its influence for a long time. Either pulling in new lows from the west or colder air from the north

gfs-1-228.png

Edited by edinburgh_1992

Posted

Not one cloud in the sky since dawn. Already a absolute crackerjack of a day

• Like 2

Posted

Eastern Scotland could well end April with a surplus of rain (Edinburgh's average is 45mm) thanks to a blocked situation with low pressure stuck between areas of high pressure. 

untitled.png

Edited by edinburgh_1992

Posted

Blue skies fresh southerly wind, RH of 24% and 21c here this afternoon spoilt only by a moderate moorland fire to the SE which created a bank of smoke to the east.

Everything is tinder dry again so the rain at the end of this week will  be welcome

• Like 7

Posted

Absolutely stunning down by the Tweed at Crownhead Bridge opposite Dawyck Botanical Gardens:

IMG_20190422_150654.jpg

• Like 9

Posted

You could get used to this weather very easily.  Max of 19.5c, the strong wind around midday holding back the temperature a bit but at least the wind was warm.

Unbroken sunshine and a lovely sunset thanks to all that Sahara dust.

Looking NW towards Bennachie and environ, phone camera not coping well with the variable light but better than nothing!

Snag_66ac6c.thumb.png.a4454a2aef075c43834af5806ae946f2.png

a.thumb.jpg.dff7a88ce7b10d778bddc73a12be064b.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
5 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Blue skies fresh southerly wind, RH of 24% and 21c here this afternoon spoilt only by a moderate moorland fire to the SE which created a bank of smoke to the east.

Everything is tinder dry again so the rain at the end of this week will  be welcome

Not such a small fire                     https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-48017104 

Knockando is nearly 40 miles away and the smoke this evening is still billowing  up from the horizon. Still warm and breezy at

Posted

A taste of armageddon this morning with a smoke filled sky to the east and the fire most definitely not out.Breeze getting up too which won"t be helping. Currently bright/hazy and 18c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
20 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

A taste of armageddon this morning with a smoke filled sky to the east and the fire most definitely not out.Breeze getting up too which won"t be helping. Currently bright/hazy and 18c

Atmospheric pollution and CO2 emissions from these fires must be huge. It also seems so ironic that they're often called 'wild-fires', when they're obviously anything but wild - just reckless, f e c kless and untouchable crofters 'continuing the tradition of muirburn'. Yet another unchallenged planet-wrecking activity.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 3

Posted

Monthly outlooks still point towards above average temperatures and drier than usual for May, with high pressure rises to the north. No real signs of this happening any time soon on models, hopefully once we get this low pressure out of the way we will start seeing some positive signals.  

• Like 1

Posted

Not sure if it's the Sahara dust or what but it's a lot duller compared to last few days still warm tho but not the clear blue skies we been used to and that's a sign of things to come

Posted
5 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Wind has round more to the SE and we are now  enveloped in blue coloured  smoke. Roll on the rain tomorrow.  Currently 20c

Posted
2 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Wind has round more to the SE and we are now  enveloped in blue coloured  smoke. Roll on the rain tomorrow.  Currently 20c

Now clearly visible as a bluish grey blanket to the south-east from here, not stretching quite as far as Inverness.  Re my earlier comment - I don't think this one can be blamed on crofters, but the other gang of crooks who own and mismanage the Highlands...

Posted
1 minute ago, Hairy Celt said:

Now clearly visible as a bluish grey blanket to the south-east from here, not stretching quite as far as Inverness.  Re my earlier comment - I don't think this one can be blamed on crofters, but the other gang of crooks who own and mismanage the Highlands...

This afternoon has been a once in a lfetime experience for me with density of smoke having driven me inside to do paperwork.There are no sign of any swallows despite the warmth and the resident birds have left the feeders and are silent even the cattle are restless. Not a good experience

Posted
2 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

This afternoon has been a once in a lfetime experience for me with density of smoke having driven me inside to do paperwork.There are no sign of any swallows despite the warmth and the resident birds have left the feeders and are silent even the cattle are restless. Not a good experience

Just went outside - you can smell it here even though there's nothing immediately visible. We were similarly disheartened (putting it mildly) on Harris a couple of weeks ago - roads closed, gardens burnt, power lines down, and the rest.

No swallows here either although our resident Pip was out at dusk over the weekend.

Posted
32 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

The  strong wind this morning must really have  made it spread. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-48030091

Posted
2 hours ago, Northernlights said:

The  strong wind this morning must really have  made it spread. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-48030091

Some farms have been evacuated near Dallas for safety reasons so only about 8 miles to the east of us now.

I suspect the big concern is if it gets into the forests surrounding us  before tomorrows rain.

Can now see the orange glow of the fire to the SE of us when I let dog out and we still have a fresh wind at 11c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Going to be an anxious night for you NL. Sending you wet & soggy vibes to discourage that fire!!