Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Slightly warmer today at 16C but a very murky day with occasional bursts of very hazy sun. Little wind.  Yesterday evening was wonderful with a bright moon and some lovely coloured high cloud at dusk. And a flat calm firth. We must make the most of it as this could be our summer!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Sssshhhhh HC!!!  Nooo negative vibes! The gods listen!!

• Like 3

Posted

Another colourful one this evening. Let's see how NW treats the colour...

sunset2.thumb.jpg.0ab629396a5a3251d847132f5a304dcf.jpg    

Hmm, dully, it seems. It was more salmon pink.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Hottest day of the year so far coming up! 

Hoping for a hot and sunny May/June like last year.

Glorious sunsets here the last couple of nights!

E6A90F08-5CE7-4E1F-BBCD-00BD4457378A.thumb.jpeg.1809c6493b326d6397063f4a58c8c6a9.jpeg

CEF349E8-7D9E-4574-87BF-5429A5558E04.thumb.jpeg.616d77b805ddf66b3bac2644e350761c.jpeg

5FEC715E-E0E6-4777-91E0-DCD1A25CFDF3.thumb.jpeg.f40298617838cfef34ebea60ff7097fc.jpeg

Hope everyone has a fantastic Easter and enjoys some warm and sunny weather! 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Very pleasant and sunny here although stiff breeze is taking the edge off of the temperature. On way back from shopping trip to Inverurie earlier the car thermometer showed 19C.

Off out in a bit to fire up the ride on mower and give the lawn its first hair cut of the year. 

• Like 4

Posted

After a hint of early morning frost and mist, it’s turned out a fine, if slightly hazy day with the current temp around 15C and no wind to speak of. A few butterflies are out and about.

To continue the Jackdaw nest saga, the up-and-over garage door actually dislodged the first attempt and their point of entry was blocked off.  Undeterred, they have pecked a hole through a beam on the roof above the guttering in order to gain entry to the garage again and have recommenced building a nest behind a tarpaulin and on top of some old furniture :wallbash:- just discovered it by chance this morning.  I think it will be possible to fix the tarpaulin so that they do not have free access to garage/barn, but no doubt the swallows will be discouraged from nesting again this year. 

1732079453_jnest2.thumb.jpg.f130c0b970c9949a32fe46da85230eb4.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
5 hours ago, ciel said:

A few butterflies are out and about.

Freed 3 from the garage today, not sure if they got in today, or pupated In there. 

5 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

1st cut? What length is it? 

Wasn't too bad, but then again we're up a hill and it hasn't exactly been a warm spring in the NE. Still, looks much better, all one length rather patchy. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

A very respectable 20 degrees today! Really feels like early June rather than late April! Currently 16 degrees! 

I’ll take this for the rest of Spring and Summer with some great thunderstorms! (If only!)

Last sunset pictures I promise! 

D1FB0448-0C63-4C64-8E64-343882F368B1.thumb.jpeg.6f53c8d10f2a78f5c199244145473394.jpeg

81466368-9C40-4E12-B8F4-8F1B006A9868.thumb.jpeg.2e02be57bcb3d1c2c313a9bffa7562ee.jpeg

Perfect end to a warm and sunny Spring day! 

Cheers! 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 5

Posted
7 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

1st cut? What length is it? Mine has been done a few times

Still not enough grass in fields for cattle to go out full time although its taken off a bit today in the warmth so domestic grasses will have to wait another week.      Basically when cattle are out and feeding themselves  I have time to cut grasses . Also cutting grass acts as a  stimulant to faster growth  which requires even more frequent cutting.

The problem  we have with field grass is we have wintering sheep until 1st of April and so the grass has to start from scratch at that point and since it was fairly cool then growth has been slow up till yesterday.

Spring barley jumping up to today as well and brown fields turning green .Beech trees now bursting into leaf as well.     No swallows as yet.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 3

Posted

The week started feeling like winter, mid week was more like spring and today - well, summer!  Got to love the Scottish climate. 

Max temperature of 19.5c with unbroken sunshine until the evening, bit breezy in the early afternoon but the warm sun more than compensated.

• Like 4

Posted

Butterflies fluttering wildly about, cats sprawling in the sun, and down to a t-shirt in the garden before lunch. 21C according to two thermometers that don't usually agree about anything (one voted leave, the other remain). A splendid day.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

16C max here but felt good if in the sun and sheltered from the breeze. My daughter messaged to say that she got very sunburnt in the Botanic Gardens in Glasgow this afternoon plus had the added excitement of watching riot police on horseback charging in to break up a mass fight of teenagers who had congregated there to take in the sunshine in the holiday Friday.

• Like 4

Posted

Anyone else got loads of ladybirds loitering in the garden, sunbathing and trying to shag the wing-cases off each other?

• Like 4

Posted

Not seen a single ladybird here HC. Have seen a big fat hare, a brace of pheasants and several anthocharis cardamines - beauties.

• Like 4

Posted

Stunning day! 22c, very light breeze, beers in the garden! Very much over my winter thing for a few months

• Like 5

Posted

A smashing April day with temp this afternoon hanging around 23C+ at Forest of Birse and still 21C back home as I write. Even the breeze is warm – unusual for these parts.

@shuggee Many large dark-coloured butterflies on the go there but I was not able to identify as they didn’t settle and kept well above eye level, while floating off into the woods, definitely not Orange-tips though.

Jess was very excited about having her first swim of the season in the Feugh.

700204212_Jessswim.thumb.jpg.c2d7037813eb69ed6a466f4259661fd6.jpg

And it was good to see the old Bucket Mill at Birse has been kept in good working order.

1279909280_BirseBucketMill.thumb.jpg.8c169ae8a11184d8cc7f48d15fcc4832.jpg

• Like 9

Posted

Nice drop of misty rain just now just what the farmer ordered. Currently 16c

• Like 2

Posted

@shuggee - orange tips? we had one this morning. Also small tortoiseshells, and saw a speckled wood by Nigg yesterday.

Rain on and off since mid-afternoon which has killed the warmth. I blame Ms HC cos she watered the potatoes she was planting.

• Like 4

Posted

Slightly hazier skies today and has turned cloudier now in general but what another crackerjack of a day. Looks like more of the same tomorrow/mondaytuesday before a change

• Like 3

Posted

Lovely day in Edinburgh, up to 22/23. 

I don't like the look of this low however. Could linger around us for a long time. Hopefully we see some change in the models, we could do with a bit of rain but not for days or potentially weeks

gfs-0-180.png

Posted

Clouded over a bit in the afternoon but after we sat out in the garden for lunch. Not sure how warm it actually got, but clad in bee suits, even after it clouded over, our first inspection of the hives this year was certainly a sweaty job. All 3 hives survived through the winter, even one we thought might not, but that one is still touch and go. Hopefully with a decent spell of weather it might take off again, a few larvae in there so must be a queen. 

• Like 4

Posted

Oh, the first indoor wasp of the year.

wasp.thumb.jpg.7324c31e30f5c9150c60ffea034e1943.jpg

Actually, I wheecht it out the window given the lack of pollinating insects around.

It's funny how butterflies, bees and wasps are always desperate to escape but darned houseflies are always determined to remain!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Perfect day to take my inflatable boat out for the first time since buying it a few weeks ago. I went to Loch Long with my son and my dad to do a bit of fishing. Hopefully this is a sign of a good summer to come  

781F8D69-CF87-46BD-95C5-CE33922C04B6.thumb.jpeg.3cdaea5261ede6c6686bc8a7bc664ea5.jpeg

1B959780-6502-4541-AD54-D5BB85C3F1A8.thumb.jpeg.50e396b2a7de358e878018a5ed496fd1.jpeg

83D97979-317F-453C-BABF-7E9C4E9BDFAC.thumb.jpeg.d8909002fc6c194944153b734ef22209.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted

Yes @ciel and @Hairy Celt orange tips abound! Today appears to be all about little black poo flies...

Had a drunken evening in Peebles yesterday and spotted from the 1am taxi home there was a stunning double moondog  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_dog

Have seen many sundogs over the years but this was a first for me.

• Like 5

Posted

Nice and warm again with plenty of pollinators on the fruit trees and gooseberries. No black poo flies though, not sure what they are :unsure2:

• Like 3