Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted

Another sunny day but the wind did have a bit of a bite to it did make it feel chilly at times

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Despite the sun breaking through it has felt cold all day in the brisk South Easterly breeze. The ground is still very dry despite some rain early in the month. Here is a map of European areas currently in drought. Parts of Eastern Scotland, NE England and particularly East Anglia all showing up on it.

AD675A61-22D3-46FB-842B-4D4D047D7DA3.png

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 6

Posted

High pressure staying near us for a long time. After strengthening winds tomorrow and generally more cloud cover during the first half of the week, next weekend looks to be glorious. We could easily be seeing 20C in many areas if models keep on track. 

A bit grey today in Edinburgh, but still dry. The past few days have been glorious, despite the fresh easterly winds. No rain in sight, although the end of April could bring some change. I can't see it staying wet for long though, as high pressure is always ready to push back in. I hope this lasts all summer too!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

You have made my day! Cheered me, thank you

Posted

Cloudy with spits of rain in the strong SE wind.  Max temperature of 7c and feeling bitterly cold in that wind - roll on the warmth forecast for the end of the week.

Mind you, always a positive for the negative, been so cold recently that the grass is barely growing so no need to get the mower out quite yet.

• Like 3

Posted

As above but with a lot of dust blowing about, a very disagreeable day. Looking for some warmth now to get grass growing and cattle out. Last field after neeps sown to spring barley today in a dust storm. Never cut domestic grasses till cattle are out no matter how untidy it looks. Grass actually wilting today in the strong wind at 25% RH.

• Like 4

Posted
On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 11:36, edinburgh_1992 said:

High pressure staying near us for a long time. After strengthening winds tomorrow and generally more cloud cover during the first half of the week, next weekend looks to be glorious. We could easily be seeing 20C in many areas if models keep on track. 

A bit grey today in Edinburgh, but still dry. The past few days have been glorious, despite the fresh easterly winds. No rain in sight, although the end of April could bring some change. I can't see it staying wet for long though, as high pressure is always ready to push back in. I hope this lasts all summer too!

The last week of April 20-27th does indeed look increasingly wet on the models today, although the high pressure is constantly trying to find a way up north, so as mentioned yesterday I don't think the wet weather will be long-lasting. As long as things don't become flat, we should be ok.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Just glad that the biting cold wind has dissipated a bit here. It was baltic at times over the past few days.

A nice taste of warmth coming at the right time for us I think. 

• Like 7

Posted

The warmth cannot come soon enough after yet another day of classic Aberdeenshire Permagloom™. 

Maximum temperature of 8c, no sunshine and still a cold SE wind. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
49 minutes ago, Quinach said:

The warmth cannot come soon enough after yet another day of classic Aberdeenshire Permagloom™. 

Maximum temperature of 8c, no sunshine and still a cold SE wind. 

I'll see your Permagloom and raise you a Megagrey.  Crap weather here recently too, like everywhere.  Me and a friend were grumbling away about the weather this morning like a couple of old farts do and both reckoned heated steering wheels should be the next Big Thing for cars.

We're forecast for temps to head up towards the low 20s by Saturday now though so mustn't grumble. OH BUT I WILL COS IT'S TITS UP after that.

• Like 5

Posted

An interesting new evolution has appeared on some of the models this morning (UKMO and GFS para still going with massive low over our head for days).

The low pressure could indeed sink towards spain and Portugal, gradually sizzling out whilst Scotland remains protected by high pressure over Scandinavia. 

This would prolong the warm spell, since the low pressure would help pump warm air up from southern latitudes. 

high.png

high2.png

Edited by edinburgh_1992
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and Thunderstorms
26 minutes ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

An interesting new evolution has appeared on some of the models this morning (UKMO and GFS para still going with massive low over our head for days).

The low pressure could indeed sink towards spain and Portugal, gradually sizzling out whilst Scotland remains protected by high pressure over Scandinavia. 

This would prolong the warm spell, since the low pressure would help pump warm air up from southern latitudes. 

high.png

high2.png

This change is showing up in dark sky forecast now

Screenshot_20190417-102717.png

• Like 3

Posted
49 minutes ago, Huntforsnow said:

This change is showing up in dark sky forecast now

Screenshot_20190417-102717.png

It's really borderline, a slight east-shift and we'll be under unstable currents for a good few days. GFS06 is right on edge, with some rain initially and then slowly drying out as the high pressure reinforces. 

In any case we want that low to sink as low as possible. Let's hope for the best

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

What about Saturday for the Borders area - I need a wee day oot. Are we better to head for the coast like St Abbs, or further west ie Moffat?

• Like 3

Posted

Slow start to the day but really has turned into a crackerjack of a afternoon and this is set to stay virtually all weekend too!

• Like 2

Posted
55 minutes ago, mardatha said:

What about Saturday for the Borders area - I need a wee day oot. Are we better to head for the coast like St Abbs, or further west ie Moffat?

Definitely go towards st. Abbs, best chances of seeing sunshine and warm temperatures. The sea is still cold though so it will feel a bit fresher along the coast compared to inland. Barely any wind expected though so it should still be pleasant

• Thanks 1

Posted

Its looks like we are in for a milder night as its still 13c and everything has greened up a bit more today.Have also lost the nagging wind.

This side of the Firth still very dry as can be seen as young Mr. Northernlights rolls the second last field of spring barley tonight.004.thumb.JPG.b8d36a86a15281313e605ef6433bc464.JPG

Horse Chestnut  tree in photos rapidly coming into leaf today.001.thumb.JPG.7905862a578e08673fac3de8bfa88721.JPG

• Like 9

Posted

Finally, a day that befits Spring.

A murky start but the sun broke through mid morning to leave a wonderful afternoon and evening of unbroken sunshine.  Temperature up to 12c and still a cool breeze but in the sunshine feeling just perfect.

Nature responding as well - working in the garden came across masses of ladybirds (a legacy from last year).  Not sure what they will feed on as not seen any aphids so far.  Also big skein of geese heading north in the evening, not seen that number of geese for quite a few weeks.

• Like 6

Posted

Fairly cloudy at the moment but was like this yesterday then come the afternoon it was glorious. Just hold on in there as they say

Edited by NUT
  • Like 1

Posted

Not quite brightened up as I would hope still warm though but not the ginger blue skies of yesterday

• Like 3

Posted

Up to 18.9°C and car aircon in full working order!

• Like 4

Posted

Light winds, dry and a maximum temperature of 14.5c today, though a lot more cloud today than yesterday.  Still, a lot better than the rubbish at the start of the week.

It appears that the upsurge in badger numbers has its benefits - for local garages... 

Was speaking to a mechanic today and apparently in the last few weeks they've had to repair two cars damaged due to them hitting badgers at high speed.  That discussion lead onto hearing about this site - kudos to the person who came up with the name 

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 4