Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
21 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Been snowing here all day but only really a wet covering, with us being just above the snow line. Trip to and from Inverurie revealed some strange variations in snow cover. Snowing in Inverurie but not lying, lying in and either side of Kemnay, then goes green for a bit, then snowy at tillyfourie, then green again through Alford, and finally back to white just before our house. 

Kemnay now looking very white with 50p flakes, presume you have bigger, strange day
Is it my imagination or is there lightning going on?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Still some snaw lying here and feeling raw.

Fkn exhausted watching the Calcutta Cup game!

Whit a come back by Scotland and unlucky no tae hang oan fur the win!!!

Big Innes

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
3 hours ago, mardatha said:

I cried when they equalized!!!

It felt like a loss but at half time I would have bitten my hand off for a draw. Poor cat has just recently comeback downstairs after taking fright with the yelling as the tries were scored in the second half. Mostly from my daughters who were home visiting to be fair. 

Back to the weather. Grass and pavements turning sparkly as cloud clears and a frost sets in. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Bright sun here and 8C !  Dazzling with the snow outside, I'm pretending I'm in Klosters!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Got a decent covering yesterday albeit a bit patchy, but rapidly thawing now. Mainly sunny but still the odd sleety shower passing through. 

• Like 2

Posted

Calm day in comparison to the mayhem of the last week. Fairly dry a breeze one or 2 very light showers and not that cold actually

• Like 2

Posted

Beautiful morning in Seattle and not a bad view from the office! You can just about see the snow capped Cascade Mountains in the background. Today and tomorrow could see some March temp records broken as it's forecast to get up to 22c. 

IMG_20190318_101011.thumb.jpg.bad3be1cc910c4302c971d47a03add51.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

I know  I sound like a stuck record but afer viewing the model thread which is hinting at some cold N winds in early April I thought I would just reiterate that the frequency of N and E winds is  at its highest in the spring,sea tempeatures are at thair lowest so less moderation of the cold and particularly up here we are nearer the Noth Pole than Moscow and its why we in the north of Scotland often have snowy springs with mountain snow all the way to mid summers day in June.

Its also  statistically more likely to snow at Easter than Christmas and Easter is later this year as well. The plus side is that Arctic air is usually fairly low humidity so the ground dries up very quickly after snow and we can continue to sow into it. Photo taken on the 25th of April 2016 showing a snow shower coming in from the north across the Firth with a temperature of 1c so a very cold day for the end of April.P4250009.thumb.JPG.7bd11a0a5c88002ca1e73a7fcec87cf0.JPG

On the farm we budget for feed to keep the cattle inside to the third week of April on average when there is usually enough grass to feed them outside but with enough back up to keep them in till mid May in a very cold spring.  So we are talking about a seven month winter in the north of Scotland as far as the  livestock are concerned

• Like 8

Posted

How's the soil moisture doing by you @Northernlights ?

Absolutely waterlogged here now....

Posted
10 minutes ago, shuggee said:

How's the soil moisture doing by you @Northernlights ?

Absolutely waterlogged here now....

After the last few days heavy rain/sleet/ snow showers most of the field drains are running full again but having said that the sun came out today and with no rain it started to dry very fast. Another two days like this and we should be able to cross the fields again but that is more in hope than expectation as it looks like we will get some  rain again.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

Interesting that the model thread is hinting at a possible cold start to April...I remember some years past the first race of the season at Knockhill was absolutely baltic and windy as hell, it was a combined car and bike meeting the Karts went out for a couple of warm-up laps they didn't even get the second lap in as an absolute white out appeared from the west...all races abandoned due to a snow covered track..!!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Pleasantly warm (ok, not cold anyway) yesterday with neither rain or wind. First proper bike ride of the year! 

• Like 5

Posted

Very dull and overcast here, 4C when I last looked. I hope to gawd we dont get stuck in one of those boring runs of dull calm boring grey. That makes me almost suicidal

• Like 4

Posted

Temp in Seattle today is a rather pleasant 26c smashing a 125yr record! Unreal for mid March!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
4 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Temp in Seattle today is a rather pleasant 26c smashing a 125yr record! Unreal for mid March!

Please post pictures of something other than a grey sky and save @mardatha 

No weather here. Bedtime said Zebedee. Wahay said Florence, hoping to escape Brian's sticky embrace.

• Like 2

Posted

Sok HC, I'm going up to Edinburgh to drink tea, eat cake and spend the husband's money.

Which, after all, is what husbands are for, really.

Edited by mardatha
  • Like 3