Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted

Met Office automated now onboard with snow potential on Saturday!

Screenshot_20190314-072550.thumb.jpg.f55a8bcaa6178fc52b3ec4f8d6136634.jpg

"Easterly winds likely to bring rain, sleet and snow for a time on Saturday"

Will probably change a dozen times but the possibility is there at least! Could count on less than one full hand the number of heavy snow symbols in that forecast over the winter period

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I've got two snowflakes - heavy snow - all day Saturday!!

• Like 3

Posted
9 hours ago, NUT said:

Some more really pretty heavy rain. Surprised we not flooded tbh been that wet this week

Very heavy when it comes and it's been coming very often.

Upper Tweed valley was flooded into many fields either side of the river valley on Tuesday after the storm and lots of snow melt. Quite a sight when there's standing water across hundreds of acres.

Saturday forecast - snow all day, max 1C and accumulations of 13.5cm according to xc. We shall see...

• Like 3

Posted

Wouldn't usually say this but any snow on Saturday can bloody well stay away until my flight's away

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 2

Posted

I thought it would change, but since I posted the screenshot of the Italian forecast based on ecmwf, the other models have also aligned themselves with the European model. If we can keep the -6 over Edinburgh, we might see something. If it's -4 like last Sunday, then it'll just be rain

• Like 2

Posted
39 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I expect a Met-O warning to be issued soon so it'll all be fine.

And there it is!

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2019-03-16

They are hedging their bets at this point with a high ground only affair. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
5 hours ago, 101_North said:

Met Office automated now onboard with snow potential on Saturday!

Screenshot_20190314-072550.thumb.jpg.f55a8bcaa6178fc52b3ec4f8d6136634.jpg

"Easterly winds likely to bring rain, sleet and snow for a time on Saturday"

Will probably change a dozen times but the possibility is there at least! Could count on less than one full hand the number of heavy snow symbols in that forecast over the winter period

4 hours ago, mardatha said:

I've got two snowflakes - heavy snow - all day Saturday!!

I've got sleet :yahoo: :oldrofl:IMG_E1011.thumb.JPG.673dd7b1110bffc0617c7c1e4365a66b.JPG IMG_E1012.thumb.JPG.c622d8b87ab1d16807146c452f419c6f.JPGIMG_E1013.thumb.JPG.ce962c4eb4ac94cfc4cad67ca0da06a6.JPG

2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I expect a Met-O warning to be issued soon so it'll all be fine.

IMG_E1010.thumb.JPG.bf79faefa2d75412b65ecc33bcd4130f.JPG ah yes one of my least favourite phrases "especially over higher ground" source.gif :oldlaugh:

14 minutes ago, Snowlover2 said:

2 very different forecasts. No idea how accurate GB weather is. 

86573B2A-1C51-4506-99BD-1C0CBB6B78D1.png

C4F9049B-70AB-4B79-BC4D-27172EC8C890.png

looking at some of the current charts for Saturday it looks like it will be a close call between the rain / sleet / snow but there may be a some colder 850 temps moving in from the NE on the northern side of the low and if precip is heavy enough and winds are light evaporative cooling could be at play 63-7UK.thumb.gif.4069203d6516fb9d34d91fb1a16aa9d5.gif arpegeuk-16-60-0.thumb.png.bb92f4ff2a7a87de2bcc71929a7e0ee9.png expecting nothing here but hopefully I / all of us will end up with some snow. Currently 13.1 C and sunny here. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

The less I write about the weather for this weekend the better. I'll just go with 'time to finish painting the bannisters'...

Posted

I have ordered an extra six beers for delivery tomorrow - just in case.

• Like 5

Posted

I know it's automated but I haven't seen a Met Office forecast like this for quite a while for my area!

Screenshot_20190315-064412.thumb.jpg.713e1e7daf7e2e3be797a5da0bff9a59.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, 101_North said:

I know it's automated but I haven't seen a Met Office forecast like this for quite a while for my area!

Screenshot_20190315-064412.thumb.jpg.713e1e7daf7e2e3be797a5da0bff9a59.jpg

It’s got a cold rain day written all over it,,,I would give it a 30% chance of lying snow in Edinburgh so your travel plans will be fine

• Like 2

Posted

Today, as was yesterday is bright and sunny, with a gusty wind and feeling cooler than the 7C. There is, however, cloud banking up to the northwest at the moment.

A snap from yesterday -  fishing boats tucked up in a colourful Fraserburgh harbour.

235114226_FRharbour08**.thumb.jpg.ffa8c2a9e80ba3733ad4fa0902cc0bc0.jpg

And one from this earlier this morning - showing the daffs which are now mostly past their best. As I have mentioned previously they have flowered around a month earlier than usual.

daffs.thumb.jpg.86bbd3e27c9b00af85ad7e542e89b110.jpg

Can't say I'm relishing the weekend weather prospects.....

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
15 hours ago, shuggee said:

I have ordered an extra six beers for delivery tomorrow - just in case.

Cat's habit getting out of control?

Funny thing I'm noticing this morning: these showers coming in seem to be still gaining in intensity as the come out of the hills and over the firth at us.  We just caught the edge of one that must have swamped some folk in Inverness, it was pretty fierce here.

All I want is a day where it looks good enough for a decent bike ride without gales or mega-showers. Tomorrow might be one such day? Fingers crossed. Otherwise the bannisters get it, both brushes at once.

• Like 5

Posted

Yes some fierce showers  earlier though having said that the local forecast on here said they would ease after 9.00am and they did allowing us to dress the barley seed . One shower gave us a glancing blow as mobile dresser was working but most of it crossed the Cawdor hills which combined with the sudden drop in temperature left them looking very white  above about 600 feet.. Currently 4.5c with sleet and hail showers passing. Update last shower has now turned to snow and it is 2c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 3

Posted

Probably the worst day of the winter with torrential showers of rain/sleet/snow. Mud everywhere.  Must remember not to complain when   things looking to dry. Between showers just now so bright and 4c.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
14 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Probably the worst day of the winter with torrential showers of rain/sleet/snow

Drove through some of that o. Way home from work. Yellow warning shifted north to cover me, and heavy snow now forecast for tomorrow afternoon into the evening. Be interesting to see what transpires, especially as I've an opticians appointment tomorrow afternoon in Inverurie. 

Posted

Paper thin covering on the grass, plenty heavy showers absolutely flying across the area throughout the day, all snow 200m+, met o app had them forecast as rain (standard), tomorrow looks messy, few surprises in places no doubt 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
22 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

Paper thin covering on the grass, plenty heavy showers absolutely flying across the area throughout the day, all snow 200m+, met o app had them forecast as rain (standard), tomorrow looks messy, few surprises in places no doubt 

Here's hoping. Good luck everyone!

PS - assuming folk are still interested in snow in March  I certainly am!! That said....I'm supposed to be driving up to Mar Lodge on Sunday for the summer season. I REALLY don't want to have to drive the long way around.

• Like 3

Posted

Monderising is over rated. It looks like East Renfrewshire Council are updating their street lights. Fair enough.They are replacing them with white light as opposed to warming orange glow which suits lampost snaw watching better. My lampost (I know it isn't mine but I'm attached to it ) is still orange but either side has been replaced. Our house is elevated so the lampost is at eye level when I look out the window.

Nostalgia alert. First photo is from round about midnight on the 11th of March 2006.The snow was relentless. Most intense I've seen in almost 20 years of living here. Sasha (cat in the photo) spent the last 5 of her 21 years with us. Loved that old timer.

My father threatened to go out (we was 86 at the time) and get cigarettes so we traveled the next day into the city centre to get him his smokes. Took this photo near Glasgow School of Art on a very slippery hill looking down towards Sauchiehall Street.

I predict that tomorrow will be wet sleety crap for Glasgow. It can snow heavily in March.Hope Those north of the central belt have fun!

Storm 4th May 2006 084.jpg

Storm 4th May 2006 098.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Woke up to rain half an hour ago...now snowing at sea level! Big fluffy flakes! Yaaaaaaaasssss!

Heading up a 385 meter hill today so should be fun! 

EAA485CE-D208-40D1-98EA-F0396D330534.thumb.png.ec58bde177453f337f11822051c1b9d1.png

Enjoy the snow everyone! 

• Like 5