Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted

WTF? It's snowing outside! A wet, sleety mess admittedly but more flakeage than I was expecting when I opened the door! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
4 minutes ago, 101_North said:

WTF? It's snowing outside! A wet, sleety mess admittedly but more flakeage than I was expecting when I opened the door! 

Foul out there. 50mph gusts, horizontal white blurred lines and a -5C windchill.

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Benvironment said:

Foul out there. 50mph gusts, horizontal white blurred lines and a -5C windchill.

It is horrific! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

4.9 C / DP 1.9 C and heavy squally rain here, pressure 982.19 Falling Rapidly -1.73 hPa/hr just had a 24 mph gust I usually double it due to the lower height of my weather station so probably around 50 mph gusts here ATM

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, 101_North said:

Not even a hint of sleet or snow in central Edinburgh today. Just horizontal rain and gusty winds.

Will the winds ever stop? They have been relentless since the beginning of February

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

4C here with high winds and rain, a touch sleety at times. A very gusty squall went through an hour or so ago that was enough to blow a neighbours new trampoline over but not away. Bridge open to cars only so must have hit > 60 mph. No warnings for here yet.

March has been quite a change following the mild and benign February. More rain already so far this month than in the previous two combined plus some windy weather too.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

ECMWF going for a serious snow event in Edinburgh on Saturday. Chances of that actually happening are very low, as other models aren't seeing it 

snow.JPG

Nailed on certainty as I fly out for work on Sat morning for the week

• Like 2

Posted

Intense hail burst rode through. Don't see them often at night here!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Doesnt sound too windy outside here tonight. Heavy rain though.

• Like 2

Posted

Interesting radar return over Eyemouth. Phone won't let me upload a screenshot! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
3 minutes ago, Ross B said:

Bizarre snapshot

1203radarSEscot.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
2 hours ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

ECMWF going for a serious snow event in Edinburgh on Saturday. Chances of that actually happening are very low, as other models aren't seeing it 

snow.JPG

The low hitting cold air is there, just further south https://www.tameteo.com/modeles/en-royaume+uni-ecmwf-94.htm 

1203snowsat.png

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Ross B said:

6 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

Bizarre snapshot

1203radarSEscot.png

Maybe some sort of derecho feature ?  IMG_E1003.thumb.JPG.0ae735e1e07db338492e77652b8e90c3.JPGIMG_E1004.thumb.JPG.f4f02415025461071458cbe878dc90d7.JPG https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derecho 

"Four types of derechos are generally recognized:

Serial derecho – This type of derecho is usually associated with a very deep low.

Single-bow – A very large bow echo around or upwards of 400 km (250 miles) long. This type of serial derecho is less common than the multi-bow kind. An example of a single-bow serial derecho is the derecho that occurred in association with the October 2010 North American storm complex.

Multi-bow – Multiple bow derechos are embedded in a large squall line typically around 400 km (250 miles) long. One example of a multi-bow serial derecho is a derecho that occurred during the 1993 Storm of the Century in Florida.[12] Because of embedded supercells, tornadoes can spin out of these types of derechos. This is a much more common type of serial derecho than the single-bow kind. Multi-bow serial derechos can be associated with line echo wave patterns (LEWPs) on weather radar.

Progressive derecho – A line of thunderstorms take the bow-shape and may travel for hundreds of miles along stationary fronts. Examples of this include "Hurricane Elvis" in 2003 and the Boundary Waters-Canadian Derecho of 4–5 July 1999. Tornado formation is less common in a progressive than serial type.[why?][citation needed]

Hybrid derecho – A derecho with characteristics of both a serial and progressive derecho. Similar to serial derechos and progressive derechos, these types of derechos are associated with a deep low, but are relatively small in size. An example is the Late-May 1998 tornado outbreak and derecho that moved through the central Northern Plains and the Southern Great Lakes on 30–31 May 1998.

Low dewpoint derecho – A derecho that occurs in an environment of comparatively limited low-level moisture, with appreciable moisture confined to the mid-levels of the atmosphere. Such derechos most often occur between late fall and early spring in association with strong low pressure systems. Low dew point derechos are essentially organized bands of successive, dry downbursts. The Utah-Wyoming derecho of 31 May 1994 was an event of this type. It produced a 46.8 m/s (168 km/h; 91 kn; 105 mph) wind gust at Provo, Utah, where sixteen people were injured, and removed part of the roof of the Saltair Pavilion on the Great Salt Lake. Surface dew points along the path of the derecho were about 7–11 °C or in the mid 40s to low 50s °F.[13]"

could be as we have that deep low. :unknw:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Bonkers here - constant roaring wind and really insane gusts with hail/rain showers moving through. (Must be hitting 60 to 65mph gusts - wind is ripping right through our street. Very exposed location!)

Windows shaking, lampposts wobbling side to side, plant pots with plants still attached flying five feet through the air, tide is coming in so can only imagine all hell will kick off shortly with regards to waves/spray coming up onto the road.

Was going to run down to the sea front for a video but that would be a bit too dangerous plus the coastguard is driving up and down the road every 45 minutes.

Our one year old son is not enjoying it as he is constantly waking up! I am loving it however and will probably now stand at the window for the next couple of hours! 

Best storm in a long time! 

• Like 3

Posted

Pressure at the start of today here was 997.97 hPa current pressure 975.38 lowest pressure at 22:49 974.57 hPa total rainfall today 20.4 mm, hourly rainfall between 20:16 and 21:16 6.4 mm, high rain rate 18.3 mm at 21:00, current temp 5.8 C / DP 4.3 C

Posted

You would never have thought the weather was as bad as it was last night...............it's lovely now! Best start to the week easily

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Glencoe ski area this morning. Even much further East at Glenshee there was a good fall last night. The pic is the A90  South if the ski area. Maybe some good late skiing to be had after all? I would get out there while you can though as most forecasts show milder and drier weather before the month is out after this weeks storms pass.

367D4D1D-AC33-4776-AE64-4EDE97FC5539.jpeg

F0E514CC-1954-4A52-8628-4863558BD447.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
3 hours ago, Snowlover2 said:

Imagine this really happened ??

48A10588-CA8B-4EEF-9670-C318E91817D4.png

14 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Screenshot_20190313-142837.thumb.jpg.6fcb81c9f72d1ef927b120dbb6e8954c.jpg

Just for fun but this would place my travel plans in jeopardy!

I wont be getting my hopes up this time... :spiteful: :whistling:IMG_E1009.thumb.JPG.7f62219cd91444c995c4083a603a12ce.JPG  currently 11.4 C after a high of 13.1 C 

• Like 2

Posted

Some more really pretty heavy rain. Surprised we not flooded tbh been that wet this week