Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 minute ago, ciel said:

You may find a patch or two?

Whether sledging or sandcastles - hope you have a good break.

Plenty of biggish patches left on high ground visible from around here, looking north-west mainly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Hideous weather here. Sick tae the back teeth of the continuous wind and horizontal rain. The wind blew the OH's scooter over last night, slight crack to the screen and a few wee scrapes, so really not that bad. Hating the mild dreichness, wouldn't mind if the temp plummeted to 0 degrees, at least it would feel like winter. Been a bit of a crappy winter so far and nothing showing on the horizon even into March. Ach well, maybe we'll get a lovely spring! Sez she, living in hope!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
3 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I follow quite a few Italian weather Facebook pages as I love Italy and the weather and Italy has the best weather in Europe. The following is a Google translation of a weather report from the far NW of Italy (Verbania-Cusio-Ossola). They have had an extremely dry winter with very little snow even on the high mountains. This area includes Monte Rosa which is 4,634m.

In contrast areas further south in Italy have had a lot of snow at altitude with Mt Etna on Sicily getting in on the snow action too.

The NW of Italy has also been experiencing extreme temperatures in the past few days with a very early first 20C and an ultra-early 25C. Usually it's April or May before they hit 25C.  

I'd happily go and live in Italy. The weather is epic and the landscapes are epic, it's like Scotland on steroids.

I am half Italian, mum's side of the family are from Cassino https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassino near Monte Cassino https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Cassino

snowing in a few parts of Greece again https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/ellada/makedonia/thessaloniki/thermaikos.html  https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/ellada/makedonia/pella/agios-athanasios.html

and snow in Arizona / LA ! 

cactus in the snow utter madness 

and a risk of tornadoes further east in the USA today

day1otlk_1300.thumb.gif.63a9ce9c038960774248efabcae86ffa.gifday1probotlk_1300_torn.thumb.gif.16d274ee1c4490b307bc41cf5d246b15.gif  ...SUMMARY... A few strong tornadoes, as well as damaging winds and isolated large hail, will be possible this afternoon and evening primarily across parts of Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee.

expect some storm chasers on these links later today https://www.severestudios.com/livechase/  some already live on here https://livestormchasing.com/map

currently 14.0 C here low of 6.5 C overnight.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Just went warmer than Thursday and yesterday at 14.8 C 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

It's depressing enough trying to remember it's still actually February without people posting snow pictures from around the world. 

Making use of the weather here by getting some stuff done in the garden. Started off bright and sunny but soon clouded over, bit of a breeze taking the edge off the temp. Garden starting yo show signs of life again, with bulbs showing through. Snowdrops have been flowering for a week or two, first of the crocus now flowering too. Bees were well in evidence with the sun on the hives this morning but they retreated back in this afternoon. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

My pal in Flagstaff was on the phone yelling "Hey! We got Scottish weather!" I said great. Now give it back!

• Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I follow quite a few Italian weather Facebook pages as I love Italy and the weather and Italy has the best weather in Europe. The following is a Google translation of a weather report from the far NW of Italy (Verbania-Cusio-Ossola). They have had an extremely dry winter with very little snow even on the high mountains. This area includes Monte Rosa which is 4,634m.

In contrast areas further south in Italy have had a lot of snow at altitude with Mt Etna on Sicily getting in on the snow action too.

The NW of Italy has also been experiencing extreme temperatures in the past few days with a very early first 20C and an ultra-early 25C. Usually it's April or May before they hit 25C.  

I'd happily go and live in Italy. The weather is epic and the landscapes are epic, it's like Scotland on steroids.

I lived in north-western Italy some time ago (Varese) and high temperatures in winter can happen. Usually when high pressure moves north, winds heat up as they come down from the Alps (Foehn) and can bring some very high temperatures. Humidity on the other hand plummets, sometimes even below 10%. 

This winter has been very dry, but they did get a very good snowfall at the beginning on February. 20cm fell in Varese from a cold-cushion effect as they call it in Italy. Cold air accumulates in the plains of the north and gets trapped in by the mountains. Then as a warm front moves up from the Mediterranean, it passes over the colder air and can generate very widespread and heavy snowfalls. With all the Atlantic fronts we see in the UK, it's a shame we don't have any valleys where such cold-cushions can develop. 

Posted
3 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

I am half Italian, mum's side of the family are from Cassino https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassino near Monte Cassino https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Cassino

snowing in a few parts of Greece again https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/ellada/makedonia/thessaloniki/thermaikos.html  https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/ellada/makedonia/pella/agios-athanasios.html

and snow in Arizona / LA ! 

cactus in the snow utter madness 

and a risk of tornadoes further east in the USA today

day1otlk_1300.thumb.gif.63a9ce9c038960774248efabcae86ffa.gifday1probotlk_1300_torn.thumb.gif.16d274ee1c4490b307bc41cf5d246b15.gif  ...SUMMARY... A few strong tornadoes, as well as damaging winds and isolated large hail, will be possible this afternoon and evening primarily across parts of Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee.

expect some storm chasers on these links later today https://www.severestudios.com/livechase/  some already live on here https://livestormchasing.com/map

currently 14.0 C here low of 6.5 C overnight.

Some snow was seen in Naples too the Balkans look pretty cold at the moment, I took a look at some weather stations along the black sea coast in Bulgaria and winds of up to 70kmh were recorded. Temps have been stuck at around -4C there all day today. Was looking at the graphs and temperatures plummeted from +13 to -4 in about 6 hours yesterday.

It's 13C in Edinburgh too, but unfortunately no sudden drops to -4. Weather has been horrible today, the howling winds continue and almost no sun. Horizontal rain around 4pm too 

Edited by edinburgh_1992
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Here's a first for February - we haven't had the stove on yet and the way it's going, probably won't this evening. Astonishing for February. It wasn't even that warm out today but the wind's dropped so the house has kept its heat from last night better.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Staggered out for a walk today (still suffering with Labyrinthitis and have the added joy of extreme anaemia and vitamin D Deficiency - Scottish curse - popping 8 pills a day so sound like a marracca when I move). The air was balmy, birds very busy and crocuses poking their heads up. It was beautiful. Now itching to get up north in the camper though will have to wait until I'm safe to drive. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Normal service has resumed  back down to 2c this morning though with wall to wall blue skies, sunshine and no wind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
21 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Normal service has resumed  back down to 2c this morning though with wall to wall blue skies, sunshine and no wind.

Same here, there's also this strange white sheen to the grass in the shaded parts. If it was winter I'd say it was a frost, but we all know its not winter any more. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Thick luminous mist and 3C here, I hope the sun does come out but it looks unlikely just now, can hardly see the hill behind me.

• Like 3

Posted

Absolutely beautiful morning here. Calm, pleasantly warm and sunny. So far we're above the mist and fog that's affecting other areas. I can see it clinging to the Forth from the window upstairs.

• Like 3

Posted

Still and almost feeling warm in the hazy sunshine. It's February and I am outside in a T-shirt.

The weather has malfunctioned!

• Like 3

Posted

Sums up today's weather here 9.3 C low of 3.2 C overnight 

IMG_0661.thumb.JPG.088c703c38d32f310e4a921f83e10617.JPGIMG_0662.thumb.JPG.6d2d2fc2bd96027b66b37eedf85e2be9.JPG  IMG_0663.thumb.JPG.fa6195b99aa2543a9edd31a73caaef07.JPG and a few from yesterday IMG_0641.thumb.JPG.6910d28115ef2e6b4f8fd4b56148ab67.JPG IMG_0643.thumb.JPG.d2f525eed54ad159b25f4ee9c63ee8c7.JPGIMG_0645.thumb.JPG.80aa3ed3d8a598af0919f267318426ed.JPG

• Like 5

Posted

Some very November-like weather on the way, starting Friday. Our only hope is for the jet stream to stay low, keeping us on the colder side of things with less wind. 

I'm not enjoying ecmwf and standard GFS with tight isobars over Scotland = very windy, persistent rain and mild :(

Posted

It was a downhill weather day today, starting off with a hint of frost, hazy sunshine and ending up with total low cloud cover. In fact, the Angus coast at Montrose during the afternoon had quite dense fog/mist and felt cold at 6C. No appreciable wind though.

A couple of pics from the garden this morning. I'm not sure whether or not these trees have been influenced by the warm spell and are flowering earlier than usual but surely are an indicator that spring is not far off.

Corkscrew Hazel1568480161_curleyhazel.thumb.jpg.2ecd3b6b353a151c39bcda2c040f5f01.jpg   Willowwillow.thumb.jpg.53f8a43b0ec509ebfcb3bac373a137dd.jpg

Willow

• Like 5

Posted

Started off mild in Edinburgh and got to around 11C before midday. Then a colder wind moved in from the east and brought temperatures down to 7C. Bright sunshine this morning, but turned overcast in the afternoon with occasional sunny spells. 

AO+ and NAO+ looking increasingly likely with some very nasty weather on the horizon (next Friday onwards). 

untitled.png

Edited by edinburgh_1992
  • Like 2

Posted
33 minutes ago, chemikal said:

forgot about a photo I took from Glen Nevis campsite on the foot of Ben Nevis. It was taken on the 17th of July 2018.

I've seen double rainbows, fog bows but never a rainbow that hugs the mountainside. Has anyone seen this before? Is there a technical term?

IMG_4169.JPG

I camped at Glen Nevis on a fishing trip with my dad in July 2009, what a beautiful place it is stunning scenery and a great view of Ben Nevis although most of the trip the view was obscured by p*shing rain / foggy conditions :oldlaugh: as for the rainbow pic (great pic) I dont have a clue what the techincal term would be perhaps a mountainbow lol

• Like 2

Posted

Not sure about technical terms, but in some parts of Scotland it might be called a watergaw!

An excellent weather word in my view

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/culture/books/scottish-word-of-the-week-watergaw-1-3095898

• Like 5

Posted

Travelling round Inverness/Beauly area today the temperature hovered around a max of 11c.

Variable cloud, dry and very light winds going by the Tornagrain Norbord anemometer.

Not often you see Ben Wyvis so bereft of snow at this time of year - this is a view you would usually expect at the end of April let alone end of February.

Snag_11b0222.thumb.png.db3c2bd0a6aa4fa314210845dff17097.png

View from Inverness Castle

Snag_11ba19e.thumb.png.27f987f4690a8172e0e83c6bf1535d07.png

View northwest from near Culbokie.

• Like 6