Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

6.6 C with rain on and off here 1.7 mm so far  

12 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

A bit of a surprise was seeing quite a number of ladybirds,  a left over from last summer possibly  when the grain was full of them.

Seem some folk want  to reintroduce lynx .Would they be an apex predator and help to control  the badger numbers as well as the deer?

had quite a few ladybirds here at the end of last year not seen much since.

"Bigger Eurasian lynx hunt deer and other larger prey in addition to small animals."  https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/group/lynx/

Diet/hunting
The Eurasian lynx eats a wide range of prey but tends to focus on roe deer whenever they are available. In their absence other ungulates, including red deer, are typically favoured, and various other small mammals are also often in the diet. Lynx will occasionally hunt gamebirds and, quite rarely, sheep, they are a strict carnivore and will eat 1-2kg of meat per day.  http://www.lynxuk.org/lynx.html

• Like 4

Posted

The run of 10c days at Leuchars was stopped yesterday with a 9.9c max  Only 19mm of rainfall at the same site this month so we’ve missed most of the wet weather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
13 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

The run of 10c days at Leuchars was stopped yesterday with a 9.9c max  Only 19mm of rainfall at the same site this month so we’ve missed most of the wet weather.

Slightly cooler here with two days over 10C since last Monday but no max under 8C. A little rain this evening with maybe a bit more to come but nothing significant that will much change the very dry period that we have experienced since the turn of the year.

Edit. I note that the University website shows a total of 15 mms since the beginning of January. Seems a little low but indicative of the very dry spell in this area.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

@ciel - nice to see the gannets like that - all streaming one way to their breeding ground :oldsmile:

@Northernlights - who'd win a fight between a lynx and a badger? I reckon the lynx would know better than to mess with a badger and there'd be no fight. The badgers are cleaning up all the resources in places like Moray and there's no space for lynx.

Today started brightly but was overcast by lunch. But NO WIND!!

• Like 3

Posted
21 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

Oh dear lord, the Met Office website has lost the plot entirely. As if this winter wasn’t bad enough already!

:oldlaugh: never mind lamppost watching its all about the tree watching "Gusts will be strong enough to make whole trees sway."  "Noticeably gusty, will be strong enough to make larger tree branches move."  "Gusts will be strong enough to make small trees sway, but it shouldn't blow you over."  "Noticeably gusty, will be strong enough to make larger tree branches move in the afternoon."  https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcvz0r35b#?date=2019-02-20

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
8 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

:oldlaugh: never mind lamppost watching its all about the tree watching "Gusts will be strong enough to make whole trees sway."  "Noticeably gusty, will be strong enough to make larger tree branches move."  "Gusts will be strong enough to make small trees sway, but it shouldn't blow you over."  "Noticeably gusty, will be strong enough to make larger tree branches move in the afternoon."  https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcvz0r35b#?date=2019-02-20

Ha ha! Given there's no snow maybe I'll take up tree watching instead. I'm incredulous that anyone could release this version, content that it's an improvement on what was there before. Looks a right mess. I know folk don't like change but the feedback seems almost universally negative just now. Hopefully it'll be tweaked :-s

• Like 2

Posted

The laughing faces have gone from the list of post responses, so

:oldlaugh::oldlaugh::oldlaugh: for me, apparently 26mph gusts will be enough to blow branches off trees. Erm no. Apart from, where else are the fkn branches are supposed to get blown off? The sides of house perhaps? Or will the wind be strong enough the uproot lamp-posts and scatter their entrails over the pavement, bringing despair and nostalgia to the cats watching from neighbouring bird tables?

MO forecasts recently look like they've been written by some semi-literate f**kwit with no interest in the weather.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
4 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

The laughing faces have gone from the list of post responses, so

:oldlaugh::oldlaugh::oldlaugh:

MO forecasts recently look like they've been written by some semi-literate f**kwit with no interest in the weather.

Well im not aloud to post in the model threads so had to have some form of outlet...

• Like 2

Posted

Instead of writing "noticeably  gusty", they should just call it "fine Scottish weather". 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Looks as though some regional February records could go at least - Glasgow/Renfrewshire temperature record is 14.4 degrees and Edinburgh is 15.6 degrees. 

Wish it was record breaking cold temperatures tumbling for February! 

Posted
36 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

We've missed winter and by the looks of things we're missing weather in general right out to +384hrs:

2002e4.thumb.jpg.516368bb49fd94e067ca2931645b7812.jpg

We have managed 81mm of rain this winter, if the Met-Office hadn't ruined their website I could go and see what this works out as a percentage of average. I think it's about 50%-60%

I don't think we've missed cloud cover and windiness though 

• Like 2

Posted

@Benvironment @Hairy Celt @edinburgh_1992 I think they should add these gifs to the forecasts :oldlaugh: 0f1f5a3117781a4f448a5d4eea49cdb9.gif  tenor.gif  WeirdTepidGoitered-max-1mb.gif   tenor.gif?itemid=9719909 

5 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

We've missed winter and by the looks of things we're missing weather in general right out to +384hrs:

2002e4.thumb.jpg.516368bb49fd94e067ca2931645b7812.jpg

We have managed 81mm of rain this winter, if the Met-Office hadn't ruined their website I could go and see what this works out as a percentage of average. I think it's about 50%-60%

adding up my totals so far for December, January and February it totals out at 92.4 mm and adding up the 1981 - 2010 average that total is 193 mm so that is 47.8 % of the rainfall that we should have had. I tried to find Greenlaw stats but the nearest they have is  Charterhall https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate/gcykcv8b2 but no sunshine stats (just click on averages table for easy view of stats)  :oldsmile:

11.6 C and some angry looking clouds here IMG_0572.thumb.JPG.c0eff366d962e50f93a170f19d2b776b.JPG IMG_0575.thumb.JPG.66db70ccd25bee3f34b51eb6682b78e9.JPG IMG_0578.thumb.JPG.227b48940733cbe7d6969e27a2f8bd55.JPG, looks like it might get up to 15C here on Friday nmmuktempnew.thumb.png.5bcd9af04a6159bca951a60336e14966.png might be nearer the 17 C + mark for those of you up north nmm_uk1-0-32-0.thumb.png.ca42e1492b5e8acf5b6b4d2ca91b9d08.png everybody round to @Ravelin's hoose for some sunbathing and a BBQ :oldrofl: nmmuk-0-32-0.thumb.png.b7abe1ebbf8cbcd52382059111414d2c.png  @Big Innes Madori will bring plenty of Madori to go round :drunk:

Edited by Kirkcaldy Weather
  • Like 8

Posted
3 minutes ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

@Kirkcaldy Weather I agree, GIFs would be much better I'm curious about what they'd write if there was an actual storm out there

something like this :oldrofl:6477627141_c8603f388a.thumb.jpg.153c38fdb30574cd3f122d0651b7c4e4.jpg 

• Like 3

Posted

^^ God I really wasn't in a good mood this morning!

A bit breezy out now but as @edinburgh_1992 didn't say, just another day in hell Scotland.

Certainly no airborne trees, although the gulls are getting horny now and they like a good blow (fnaar fnaar).

• Like 3

Posted

Advice guys and girls, is the area around Loch Naver any good for snaw chances in winter? asking for a friend who has the chance to relocate up that way and wants info. cheers in advance.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, bigsnow said:

Advice guys and girls, is the area around Loch Naver any good for snaw chances in winter? asking for a friend who has the chance to relocate up that way and wants info. cheers in advance.

A bit of a predictable answer, but it really depends whereabouts the potential bolt-hole is. Strathnaver is really gently sloping so even many miles inland you've hardly got any altitude down by the river, and that's where nearly all the houses are. Once you get up to Loch Naver you might have 100m altitude and round there you're into snowy ground definitely. So if you're talking about the Bettyhill area (which happens to be one of my favourite places for a variety of reasons) then not much cop, but maybe better down by Syre. Loch Naver itself is scenically wonderful and has a lot of archaeological and natural history interest.

Perhaps the biggest downer about Strathnaver is the number of shiny black Rangerovers that tear about - the fishing on the river is phenomenomenally expensive and inevitably attracts ****s of the worst sort.

• Like 3

Posted

Another very windy day mild and humid with periods of sunshine and a  maximum  of  13.5c.  Finding a bit trying with all the grit in the air irritating the eyes.

• Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

A bit of a predictable answer, but it really depends whereabouts the potential bolt-hole is. Strathnaver is really gently sloping so even many miles inland you've hardly got any altitude down by the river, and that's where nearly all the houses are. Once you get up to Loch Naver you might have 100m altitude and round there you're into snowy ground definitely. So if you're talking about the Bettyhill area (which happens to be one of my favourite places for a variety of reasons) then not much cop, but maybe better down by Syre. Loch Naver itself is scenically wonderful and has a lot of archaeological and natural history interest.

Perhaps the biggest downer about Strathnaver is the number of shiny black Rangerovers that tear about - the fishing on the river is phenomenomenally expensive and inevitably attracts ****s of the worst sort.

The property looks directly over the northern part of Loch Naver. the view from the living room window is stunning from what ive seen. He has a shiny black 4x4 

Posted
9 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

The property looks directly over the northern part of Loch Naver. the view from the living room window is stunning from what ive seen. He has a shiny black 4x4 

A Jimny? :oldwink:

That would be pretty cool there.

Obviously... you need a northerly of some sort for snow there. Any sort of beasterly isn't going to do much due to hills to the east including the monstrous Ben Klibreck.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

he says its 100m asl. i might have to sneak a look myself as im not having some Londoner moving up there and stealing me snaw.

• Like 1

Posted

The howling outside seems to be easing off a little. Clear skies and it has been a mostly sunny afternoon too. Not bad considering what the forecasts were expecting.

More wind tomorrow, more wind Friday and more wind Saturday. GFS P showing gusts up to 60km/h. Maybe Sunday-Wednesday the wind will calm down? By the end of next week a return to atlantic westerlies looks likely, so instead of being blown off our feet from the south we'll get blown off our feet from the west. If only we could get blown off our feet from the east... 

• Like 2